Sequel: Wolf's Kiss

Wolf's Heart

The answer could shock you...

I stared in shock as Kyros sucker punched the man, unable to process what was just whispered.

“Don’t be a fool, lying won’t be tolerated here,” Kyros growled as the man gasped for breath.

“I’m not… lying.” He managed between raged breaths.

Ulric snarled and latched back onto my upper arm. As Ulric lead my from the room the man’s words echoed after us.

“She has a jagged scar on the skin above her spin. It’s located about halfway down her back!”

Ulric roared again and shoved me in front of him, pushing me forward so he could make sure I didn’t head back into the room. I was practically force to jog so that Ulric couldn’t run me over in the narrow cave. Any time I slowed down in the slightest he would nudge me with his nose and grumble. Multiple times I sent glares over my shoulder, but he just ignored them like he ignored that man’s last words.

Do I really have a scar? No one’s ever pointed it out to me or mentioned one. Shaking my head I step out into the bright sunlight, shading my eyes with my hand so that I wasn’t completely blind while my mind turned almost painfully. There’s no possibly way I’m a creature, none. I’ve never felt a beast inside me, never sprouted hair where hair shouldn’t be.

No, I thought as Ulric walked into the light behind me, I’m not a Creature.

When he reached my side he gently wrapped his large hand around my waist and lifted me to his back. Once I was settled he immediately launched onto the mountain side, his talons digging in as if the mountain was just a slab of butter. When we reached the landing where the colony was located I assumed Ulric would jump from the mountain, but instead he continued climbing, not stopping until he reached the peak of the mountain.

Once on the top he helped me from his back, then began to pace in a tight circle. With each pass he came closer and closer to the edge of the peak, causing my anxiety level to rise with fear that he might fall. With each step he took rocks broke from the mountain to crumble and build at the bottom. The image of Ulric plummeting to his death in the front of my mind I stepped closer to him and laid my hand against his arm, “Ulric, please, stop pacing. I don’t want you to fall.”

He looked at me and grumbled, his eyes dark with an emotion I can’t name. He gave a large sigh then shifted into his human form. I kept my hand on his arm, feeling the transformation. His bones shortened, the muscles shifting as the soft fur that covered him disappeared. It amazed me how much control it must take for Ulric to transform his shape.

When he was human Ulric lifted his hand and gently caressed my cheek, “I need to check for a scar.”

I forced myself not to look down as I turned so that Ulric could untie the laces at my back. I held completely still as he slowly drew the ties apart, separating the folds of my dress. I held the fabric to my chest as a cool winds blew across my skin while Ulric held my dress open. I heard him take in a deep breath, my body tensing when his forehead fell to rest against my bare shoulder. Frowning at his silence I try to turn to look at my back, but his hands lifted to my arms so that I couldn’t.

“Ulric, what do you see? Do I have a scar?”

I heard him swallow, “There’s a scar, Roana.”

“Where?” I tried to turn again but Uric’s hold tightened and held my in place.

Instead he released one of my arms and slowly ran his fingers down my spine. The touch of his skin against mine sent goose bumps to scatter across my body. With each stoke of his fingers my chest grew tight until his fingers stopped, just above my lower back.

“The scar is small, but it’s right here, where he said it would be.”

This time when I turned he let me, his eyes searching mine, “He was right,” he whispered.

The anguish in his eyes cut my heart, but when he stepped back from me as I reached out to him it felt like my heart broke. He shook his head slowly, as if he couldn’t handle what was going on in his mind before his transformed back into his Creature. He let out an agonized roar before he charged past me, disappearing in the forest that lead down the mountain.

I blinked as I stood in the same spot, still holding my dress up. The sun began to set, causing shadows to lengthen all around me. A cool breeze fluttered through the opening in the back of my dress as I began to worry.

Ulric wouldn’t leave me here alone at night.

Right?
♠ ♠ ♠
Oh, darn. How do you think Ulric is going to handle this? Will he stick by Roana or will he run away from his responsibilities again?