Sequel: Wolf's Kiss

Wolf's Heart

A decision will be made...

I stepped back at Alem’s roar, pressing into Ulric as he shoved me behind. He growled and stood slightly in front of me, protecting me with his body. My eyes were wide as I noticed the skin at the nape of Ulric’s neck stretched and rolled, the cells preparing to shift into his Creature form. I was worried that both Ulric and Alem would shift in Kyros’ hut, but then Emera stepped between them.

“Enough!” She scowled at the men, “I will not have you two fighting in here.” She turned to Alem, “I’m sorry your brother is here no longer, but that does not give you the right to fight in my home.” She then turned to Ulric, “And you, I know I taught you manners, young man. You know better than to just tell someone like that.”

Ulric just grunted, still glaring at Alem. I could see how tense Ulric was, so I reached out and pressed my hand against the small of his back. He turned back and looked at me over his shoulder, his eyes meeting mine. I smiled at him, stepping closer so that I now stood at his side. I looked over to Alem, “I’m sorry, about your brother. When Warrick and Tertius found me and Katima in a field… they jumped to conclusions. Warrick fought with Katima and Tertius tried to drag me away. When Ulric came all he saw was another one of his kind hurting me. They fought. Ulric was just trying to keep me safe.”

Alem was silent, his face blank, then he sighed, “Where’s Warrick?”

Katima sighed and was probably going to say something sarcastic, but didn’t have the chance when the man in question entered the hut.

“Alem! I thought you didn’t want to leave the pack,” Warrick said as he moved to his brother’s side and slapped Alem’s shoulder.

Alem didn’t even flinch, he just smiled at Warrick, “I didn’t, when you and Tertius didn’t come back I got worried. So I decided to follow your scent trail and where does it lead me? Straight into trouble, as always.”

Warrick sighed sadly, “You’ve heard about Tertius?”

Alem nodded and sent a glare to Ulric, “I have. It’s time we leave, brother. All of us.” He shifted his gaze to me, his eyes softening, “It’s time you see your home.”

Ulric snarled, “She’s not going anywhere without me.” His stance became protective again, with him standing slightly in front of me.

Alem’s eyes locked with Ulric’s again, almost as if in a staring match. I didn’t want them to get into another fight, didn’t want Ulric hurt, so I stepped between them, my hands pressing against his chest as if I could hold him back, “Please, don’t fight. I don’t want anyone hurt, and I definitely don’t want any more deaths.”
Ulric continued to stare at Alem while I talked, but when I finished he looked at me. Holding eye contact with me he brought his hands up to cover mine, “As you wish.”

I smiled at him, turning my hands so that our palms met, “Thank you,” I said quietly, then I turned back to Alem, still holding Ulric’s hands, “I’m not going anywhere without him, so if you want me to see your home, Ulric is coming with me.”

Alem studied us, his eyes moving from me, to our hands, then to Ulric before he sighed, “Alright, but now is not a good time for me to be bringing a male – a strong male – from another Tribe to mine.” He looked at Kyros, “I would like to strike up an alliance and if it’s alright with you leave a representative from my tribe here.”

Kyros thought for a moment, then nodded, “I think an alliance would be good. I was already going to send Katima to bring your brother back, so she can go with you and be the representative from our tribe.”

Katima stared at her father, “Dad, I was wanting to-”

Kyros cut her off with a wave of his hand, “You’ll do as I say. Now,” He turned back to Alem, “If you wish I can have a hut set up for you and your brother for tonight.”

Alem shook his head, “I need to get back to my Tribe as soon as possible.”

Kyros nodded, “Katima will be ready to leave when you are.”

Katima quietly growled, but at her father’s look she turned and stormed out of the hut. Kyros sighed, “Don’t mind her, she knows what she’s doing and will have both your and my Tribe’s best interests in mind.”

Alem hesitated, then nodded, “Alright.” He turned to Warrick, “Be ready to leave in an hour.”

Warrick smiled, “I’m ready to leave now.”

Alem nodded, then walked to my side. He smiled at me and placed his hand gently on my cheek, “I hope to see you again soon, sister.”

I smiled at him, “You will.”

He nodded then exited the hut, Warrick right behind him. The hut was silent for a few minutes, then Ulric sighed and looked at his father, “You trust him? That alpha?”

Kyris thought about it, then nodded, “Yes, it seems he wants what’s best for his Tribe and our species. I’ll allow the alliance until something happens that changes my decision.”

Ulric sighed again, then pulled me out of the hut, his hand still clinging to mine. I didn’t ask him where we were going, just allowed him to guide me wherever he wanted. The walk was made in silence, the mood a little heavy as I could almost feel Ulric’s mind turning with his thoughts. Eventually he stopped walking and I noticed the pond and waterfall we had been at earlier. He stared at the water for a few minutes before he turned to me, “Do you want to go with your brothers? See your Tribe?”

That’s what had been bothering him? I shook my head and smiled at him, “I don’t have a Tribe, Ulric. I didn’t even know I had brothers a week ago. I don’t want to be anywhere, but at your side.”

Ulric studied my face, then smiled. He rubbed his thumb over my cheek bone, lightly under my eye, “I like the sound of that, you by my side. Me by yours.”

“And where does that leave me?” A voice asked behind us, causing Ulric and I to turn as Ulric snarled. Terrance was standing at the edge of the clearing, smirking as he leaned against a tree, “I hope I get to stand by her other side… really close.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Hi!! How are you guys XD Hope you enjoyed this one XDD