Sequel: Wolf's Kiss

Wolf's Heart

The truth behind the fear...

Warmth seeped into my body as I burrowed closer. I know the warmth isn’t from my blanket, whatever it is soft and furry, and I know this isn’t my bed, the cot too hard and bumpy. I flexed my arm, but frowned when I couldn’t move it, something heavy holding it down.

Opening my eyes I gasp as I realize the terrible nightmare from last night was all too real. Behind me slept the beast, his body curled around mine. I was using one of his arms as a pillow, the other appendage wrapped over my waist while the hand was cinched around my wrist and upper arm. Every time he breathed in his chest pressed against my back, his fur pricking my skin through my dress.

I twisted my wrist, hoping to slide out of his grip, when his hand tightened. I thought he was going to snap my wrist, but just as quickly as he tightened he let go, his hand falling from my arm and landing on the ground. Hope fluttered through me as I slowly began to crawl from between his arms.

I almost made it, my head now under the arm that used to be over my waist when he shifted, his legs moving up and connecting with mine. I froze, afraid he’d wake up, but when he let out a little snore I breathed a sigh of relief.

Wiggling my way from between his limbs I drag myself across the ground, tearing my dress even more. Once I was a safe distance away I sat on the ground and stared. I remember what the villagers had called this beast before they ran off.

The Creature.

The name fit well. This Creature looked like a mix between a human and a wolf, like he was cursed by his Creator. His chest moved with each breath, the giant cavity expanding as far as it could go. He looked like he was in a deep sleep, soft grumbling snores escaping his slightly opened mouth.

I shifted, trying to stand when the pain in my shoulder spiked. The muscles around the wound were stiff, red and swollen with misuse. My feet had luckily fared a little better, at least they aren’t stiff and infected.

Looking around I spot a plant, the leaf full of healing elements when it was crushed into a paste, just a few yards away, bordering the clearing we were in. Standing on my sore feet I start to walk to the plant when a growl suddenly erupted around me. Turning slowly I watch as The Creature crouched low to the ground, his eyes locked on me as he growled again.

When I stopped moving he stopped growling, still staring intently at me. Wanting to see what he would do I take another step forward, freezing when his growling grew louder and he lifted his lip in a snarl.

Swallowing I hold up my hand, hoping he’ll take it as a sign of peace, “It’s okay, nice Wolfy,” he growled at the name, “Okay, okay, no Wolfy. All I’m doing is going over to that plant, see that plant?” his eyes followed my finger as I pointed at the plant, “I’m just going over there. Then I’ll come right back over here, okay?”

He stared at me for a few seconds, almost silent rumbles vibrating through him. After a while he stopped rumbling and laid down, still watching me with his black eyes. Taking a chance I start walking, slowly so that I don’t scare him into attacking me.

When I reached the plant I picked a few leaves, making sure to grab a couple sticks from it to help the potion. Once done I walked back to the spot I was in when he woke up. Still keeping eye contact I gather two rocks, a large flat one and a smaller rough one, more confident to move around with the Creature watching since he hasn’t tried to attack me.

With the Creature watching I begin crushing the leaves, stripping the twigs as much as possible and crushing the pieces as well. So focused the plant I never noticed the Creature moved, not until he was sitting right beside me. When he leaned in to sniff the crushed leaves I jumped, causing him to growl. I ceased all movement at his growl, afraid to do anything with him so close.

The Creature leaned down again, sniffing at the green powder like mess. I watched as he licked at it, pulling back in disgust at the taste. I held back a laugh, biting my lip as I resumed crushing,

“Doesn’t taste good, does it?”

The Creature glared at me, snarling as he tried to wipe the powder off his tongue with his arm.

Shaking my head I sigh, “This isn’t for eating; it’s to help my wounds heal.”

It was odd seeing the Creature frown, the fur above his eyes moving downward. He studied my movements, watching the rocks as I pressed the leftover leaves and strips of twigs. I still needed one more ingredient, a plant that secretes a milky white paste.

Looking around the clearing I finally spot the plant, a think vine that hung between two trees. Walking over to the trees I look up, glaring at the vine that hung above me. I’m not short by any means, but the vine was a good four feet above me. There’s no way I’ll be able to reach it on my own, so I search the ground for a long stick, something that I can use to help pull the vine down.

Spotting what I’m searching for I reach down and grab it, screaming as something stepped into me. I fell to the ground, once again catching myself on my hands. Turning so that I’m no longer on the floor I sit and stare up at the Creature as he cocked his head.

“Did you push me?”

His head cocked the other direction, his ears perked. My heart raced as he reached his arm toward me, holding my breath when his fingers wrapped around my upper arm. That breath I had been holding came out in a startled cry as he suddenly pulled me from the ground, the momentum launching me into his body.

I swallowed, now breathing harder as I pushed from his chest, his hand still attached to my arm.

“Um, thank you…?”

He let go of my arm, reaching around me and picking up and long stick I had tried to grab. He dragged it to me, allowing me to take it from him when it was close enough. Moving slowly, because I don’t want to startle him when he’s right behind me, I lift the stick, trying to use it to pull the vine down.

It didn’t work; all the stick did was push the vine around, causing it to swing in the air.

Sighing, I drop the stick and glare at the vine. My potion isn’t complete without it. The milky paste will help seal the area, that way bacteria can’t get in. Muttering to myself I drop the stick and walk back to the rocks and powder. Just as I was about to dab the powder into the wound on my shoulder the Creature walked to my side, holding the vine in his hand.

“How did you…?”

Shaking my head I realize that was a stupid question. With those long arms he could easily reach the vine, and possibly higher. Taking the vine from him I begin the process of ripping the outer layer off until I hit the milky center. Dripping the white paste onto the green powder I mix them together until the paste becomes green.

Satisfied with the outcome I take two of my fingers and dip them into the paste, spreading the green stuff over my wound. The Creature watched me as I made sure every bite mark was covered, then moving on to put a thin layer on the bottoms of my feet. Once done with my feet I wipe my hands on the grass to get the paste from my fingers.

When I stood the Creature’s hand latched onto my arm again. I jumped, still not used to him touching me when he reached over and covered one of his fingers with the paste. I remained perfectly still as he slowly, almost thoughtfully, turned and placed his finger against my cheek. Once again I have forgotten about that graze, the area only a little sore. I had figured the soreness was from a bruise, matching the black, blue, and green areas that scattered over my body.

I swallowed as the Creature stepped back, “Thank you.”

He turned away and walked away, finding a spot in the clearing where he sat and just closed his eyes. It gave me another chance to study him, taking in the fact that he hasn’t tried to hurt me yet. All of the stories I had heard of this Creature suggested that he was cruel, evil down to his bones. I had been told that if this Creature caught a glimpse of a human, if he found anyone on his territory he’d tear them apart, feeding on their flesh while they were still alive and screaming.

But the way this guy acted contradicted everything. He had helped me, protecting me from the villagers and their dogs, cleaning my wounds. Even today he never tried to hurt me, just watched as I gathered the plants and made the paste, going to far as to get me the vine and apply the paste to my face.

Maybe everything I had known about this Creature was wrong. He’s not a Creature at all.

I walked toward him, faltering a little when his eyes abruptly snapped open. I gathered my courage and walked closer, stopping to sit in front of him, “Do you have a name?”

He blinked at me.

“Right, you can’t talk. Um, well I can’t keep calling you Creature-”

His aggressive growl interrupted me, sending chills of fear through my body, “Okay, calm down. I was wondering if you would mind me giving you a name.”

His growling stopped and he silently blinked again.

Taking that as a yes I think of a name, “Charles?”

He snarled.

“Heath?”

A growl.

“Um… Constan-”

His growl sounded louder, the rumbles almost shaking the ground.

“Alright, not that one,” I took a few seconds to think again. Then it hit me, I remember talking with a traveling circus a few years ago. As one of their acts a man had a wolf with him naming the animal Ulric, “What about Ulric? It’s Scandinavian for wolf.”

He tilted his head, then opened his mouth in a wolf smile, his tongue lolling out.

I smiled, “Alright, Ulric it is.”

Sighing, proud of my accomplishment, I leaned back and laid on the ground, letting the sun’s warmth soak into my skin. I was just falling asleep, my eyes starting to close when a shadow fell over me. Opening my eyes I freeze as a brown wolf stared back at me, sniffing the paste on my shoulder. I tried to crawl away, hoping to move without him noticing when his eyes jumped to mine.

His snarl made me scream, my fear escalating as the animal leaped at me.