‹ Prequel: Smirt
Status: finished.

Eclat

Eight.

“Ok, that’s not cool, Car, get those fries out of my face. I’m supposed to be focused on this essay right now.” I laughed, rolling my eyes as I shot him an exaggerated angry look. He picked up the paper boat of fries and ate one, dropping the half-eaten potato wedge as it burned his tongue. “See? That’s what you get for distracting me.”

He swiped the laptop, placing it on a side table, as well as the paper boat. “Distracting you? Doli, you don’t even realize how bad it could get. . .” Carter cupped my chin, his face inches away from mine. I held my breath as he pecked the corner of my lips. Then he moved away, which caused me to grab his shirt. You’re not getting away from me that easily. Not in a million years.

“Wait, what was that?” There was a hint of a smile on his face. I shook my head. “You are evil, Carter. C’mhere.”

He nodded. “Yeah, I guess so. What are you gonna do about it? Punish me?” There was a twinkle in his eye at the thought. I couldn’t turn down a challenge but this time I’d back down.

I shrugged. “Depends, Hulsey. What do you consider more painful?” I tapped my fingers on my lip. “Ok, I have a compromise. We’ll go out for dinner, just you and me, tonight. If you don’t interrupt me when I’m doing this coursework. Deal?”

Carter exhaled sharply. “Fine. Deal. But it starts right. . .” He leaned in, trailing kisses down my neck. Then he grinned, satisfied, sitting back obediently with his phone. “. . .now.” He proceeded to not even give me a passing glance, opting to play a game on his phone. Or text someone. I wasn’t sure because I was actually engrossed with my work. Although I don’t deny the fact that I was tempted to put it aside just to kiss him for a little bit.

As soon as I finished, my phone vibrated. I expected a text message from Carter, or maybe even Chris, but instead I was face to face with a much needed surprise. A grin spread across my face as I received this:

Hey, haven’t talked to you in awhile. . .don’t be a stranger!

It was from Gavin. He’d declined the offer to go on tour with all of us because he wanted to fully experience college life. I hadn’t been upset or sad at that fact, more so disappointed. I’d been attached to the hip with Gavin since we were young. We’d gone through our awkward phases together and were close to attending the same college. But Gavin knew we would eventually be forced to separate, permanently or temporarily, and he had taken the first step by applying for a college out of state. His parents, as well as mine, were proud of him but at the same time, apprehensive. Me, Gavin, and Chris, as well as all the other Missouri kids, were growing up too fast for them. We had the guts to leave the only town we were familiar with and wanted to be nobodies in unknown places.

“Who sent you a message?” Carter noticed the grin, moving next to me to read it over my shoulder. He laughed. “Well, are you gonna text him back?”

I sent a really long message about how fun touring was and my recent escapades. I made sure that Carter wasn’t watching me as I added information about how cozy Ellie and Chris were. I explained the Carter situation, keeping it brief. Short and sweet always made Gavin curious for more details. I knew he’d ask for more, but I truthfully, I was unsure of my love life. I had yet to call Carter my boyfriend as well as him calling me his girlfriend. Titles didn’t seem to matter. For now. Why did titles even matter at the moment when we were both happy? I wasn’t afraid of commitment but I was still hesitant to make our relationship official. At the back of my mind, I wrestled with the other side of me, the one that was still waiting for Chris.

I realized how foolish it was because I had a great guy right in front of me. Yet the battle continued, rational versus irrational, heart over mind. My heart told me that I could still wait a little longer for Chris. My mind told me that Carter was ready and willing to be in a relationship. But one thing was painfully obvious: I liked both of them.

“Oh my god, he’s going to visit soon. Hell yes.” I showed Carter the message which said ‘I’ll visit you as soon as I can,’ excitement bubbling up in my stomach.

Nothing could go wrong during Gavin’s visit; I’d make sure of it.
♠ ♠ ♠
c:
I miss Gavin being involved in Dahlia's life, therefore, he shall return.

Thank you to all those who still read this story.
You're all wonderful.