You Are Not a Robot

Chapter six

After two and a half years of dating, mine and Sid's relationship was absolutely everything I wanted. He was an unbelievable guy, sensitive, he always knew what to say, and my family adored him. I showed up at the Crosby's house in Nova Scotia on August 8th, at 10 in the morning, I rang the doorbell three times, and I called the house but no one answered. The front door was unlocked, so I let myself in, I put my bags at the front door, and stayed silent to listen for anyone who might be around. As I was standing in the front entry way, I heard crying from outback. The back screen door was closed, but the sun was shining through into the kitchen. I opened the door where the crying became more audible. There was no sign of Sidney, just Taylor and Mrs. Crosby, Trina, and Troy on the deck. Taylor was wrapped up in her moms arms, and Troy looked angry as he sat with his head in hands. The sliding of the door made everyone jump, the sun was now shining on my pale legs and I noticed all eyes were on me, even Taylors red puffy ones. I stared back, so confused as to what the hell was going on. Trina took me into the kitchen, and Taylor ran upstairs, to her room I'm guessing, every 16 year olds comfort zone.

"Is it Sidney..'' I choked out, and regretted saying it. I didn't want to know the answer.
"It's.. yes. I don't want to say anything, it's his responsibility." Trina looked so sad, and I had no idea why. Trina told me about Sidney's day yesterday, his birthday. How he flew on a helicopter with the cup, and then celebrated with the town. I didn't want to make small talk, but it seemed that's all she was interested in. "What are you holding back from me?" I asked. No answer.

Taylor was sitting cross legged on her bed when I knocked then entered. She looked more calm now, but the silence was absolutely deafening. Her room was light purple, filled with pictures of her and all her friends, a few of me and her, her and her family. I sat on her bed, and was about to speak, but no words came out, I was so confused, and had no idea why no one would tell me anything! I shut my mouth and Taylor's cell phone vibrated on her knee. She pressed the green key, put the phone to her ear, and said nothing. Sidney's voice was on the other line, he was speaking fast, but I couldn't get any words out of it.
"Lauren's here, right beside me." A few muffles and Taylor offered me her phone and then left her room. I stared at it, confused and alone.

"Sid? Are you okay?" "I need you to come to LA, I'm on a plane now and we missed each other."
My confusion grew. "Why are you.. Can someone please, please tell me what the hells going on, your sister was crying enough tears to fill the bath, and your dad is downstairs looking at himself in the mirror like he's killed someone." My anger was growing. I wanted answers! "Just get on the next flight, call me when you're at your house, and I'll come over."
I followed instructions, the Crosby's gave me hugs and Taylor started crying again before I left.

On my drive to the airport, I called Max, probably the only guy I could trust with my darkest secrets other than Sidney. I yelled at him when he explained shit all to me, he apologized and said Sidney had to be the one.