Status: Done writing this...just posting now :)

Falling to Pieces

Family Complications

“Are you sure?” Joel asked again.
“Yes,” Lindsey assured him, “We’ll be fine. We’re getting on the plane tomorrow and we’ll be there in the evening, ok?”
Joel sighed and sat on the wooden chair in the blue kitchen.
“You sound bad,” Lindsey said. “How is she?”
Joel took a deep breath. “She just sleeps Lindsey, and she can barely walk, plus the fevers are getting worse.”
“Will she be able to get down the aisle?” Lindsey asked.
“Kyle is supposed to walk her down,” Joel said, “I never liked that kid though.”
Lindsey laughed.
“How are you doing?” Joel asked.
She knew what he meant.
“I’m fine,” she said after awhile.
“Linds?”
“It hurts Joel,” she whispered.
“I know,” he said gently.
“No you don't,” She hissed, “You haven’t lost her yet, she’s still alive. I saw him die, no I held him while he died.”
“Lindsey think about it this way: at least you made his final moments pleasant, he wasn’t alone.”
“See why can’t you give yourself your own advice?” She breathed.
“I don't know,” he chuckled.
“Thank you, Joel,” She said.
“He loved you.”
“Yeah, I still do.”
“I’ll see you tomorrow,” he said.
“See you tomorrow.”
Then he heard her hang up. He sighed and climbed the steps to Rose’s room.
He opened the door to find her asleep.
Surprise.
He shook his head and laid next to her, taking her hand. He runs his finders through hers thinking about the other night.
“Promise…” her words echoed.
* * * * *
I laid in bed wide awake. Joel was downstairs talking to Nethiel. I stared up at the blank ceiling and listened to “Iron and Wine”.
“Rosella?”
I sat up to see a figure at my door.
It didn’t look like Joel, but I asked, “Joel?”
The figure shook its head and walked in the room. He was a man, and looked familiar.
The pictures.
My father .
“Get out.” I hissed.
He sighed, “I understand that you are angry, but..”
“But what?” I growled. “Are you seriously going to try to fix things between us, make you feel better that you let your daughter know that ‘it was just a misunderstanding’ and that you ‘loved me’ before she dies.”
“I’m sorry,”
“Forgot to put that in the list didn’t I?”
He pulled out an envelope form his pocket and placed it on the table.
“What that’s it?” I yelled, “You’ve got to be kidding me. Its been what? Ten years and all you have to say is ‘I’m your father, here’s a damn letter.’?”
He sighed again, like I was breaking his heart, too bad.
“Read it when you're ready to, or don't, I understand if you don't want any part of me in your life. I left you a number in case you want to reach me.”
I took the letter, feeling really dizzy.
“Don't count on it,” I said, trying to keep it mean, but my voice was so weak and soft.
“Rose?”
Then I blacked out.
I woke up breathing had.
It was just a dream, I told myself.
Joel was snoring next to me. He flopped on his other side and sighed. I smiled and turned and saw that there really was an envelope on the table. I reached over to pick it up, my hand shaking. Then I opened it and began to read.
"My dearest Rosella,
Let me begin by telling you that I am so proud at how well you’ve grown up. You look so much like your mother. Congratulations on getting married; I’ll stay away, don't worry.
Now, there’s something about your family that you never knew: every man in our family is a werewolf. I understand if you don't believe me, I wouldn’t if I was you either. However, it’s the truth, which means that Kyle and I are indeed werewolves.
Your mother was dying long before you knew it. She was diagnosed with leukemia when you were thirteen. However, it didn’t get serious for another three years. I know you are wondering how I knew that your mother was dying when I wasn’t even there, I saw it in her eyes, I saw her death. I wonder if you are even still reading this, but if you don't want to believe me, ask your vampire friends, And yes I know about Joel and the enemy that you have been hanging around, I am a bit disappointed that Kyle didn’t tell you and keep you away.
Anyway, once I saw that your mother was dying, I couldn’t take it. I couldn’t take to watch her die. I left her before her death in hopes of forgetting her before she died in front of me. I know that’s seems harsh, I regret it. And what I regret the most was leaving you.
Your Father,
James Connors
(PS: Be careful with those vampires)"

I read the letter twice more before I could comprehend it. I put it to the side and laid down next to Joel.
“Rose? Are you awake?” Joel asked.
“I had a weird dream,” I said,
“Are you okay?”
“I'm fine,” I said nodding.
♠ ♠ ♠
oooh this complicates things :P