Dog Days

Preface

It was so fucking dark. Why was it so dark?

In the distance I could hear a thump, thump, thumping. My hands were outstretched, but touched nothing. It was cold, so fucking cold. Why was it so cold? The hair on the back of my neck stood on end as shivers run down my body.

Oh, my God. Why was it so cold? so dark?

I stepped forward. My hands fell upon something warm, something hairy and large. A scream was lodged in the back of my throat, but refused to come out. It burned my insides, tearing and threatening but refusing. My eyes blurred, and I couldn't see anything. Stumbling backwards, I fell to the ground. The thumping grew louder, and I could feel a hot burst of air on my face. It smelled sweet.

What was happening? What's going on?

I choked out a sob, and reached my hand forward. My fingers met the same hairy, warm, large creature it had before. There was another hot burst of air, and I fell into pieces, falling and crumbling through time itself. I fell and fell without end. It was like falling down the rabbit hole, but this wasn't real.

Was it?

Fuck.

What was happening?

I became me again, but I was still falling. From a cloud in the sky, I fell hard. The stars fell with me, glittering and sparkling all around me. I took a deep breath as I fell on my ass, thousands of leaves flying up and up and up. They continued to climb until they disappeared into the sky.

The hot air was on the back of my neck now. I turned around quickly, but still I saw nothing. What the hell is happening? Why is it so dark? I bolted to my feet and pressed my lips together. A mass of black floated toward me, and I -