It's Better If You Do

Seize.

Bellamy let out a heavy sigh as she stared blankly forward. Of course, she hadn’t left the house much that summer, so when Rose had mentioned she was ‘out’, she was up in her room, out of her mind with grief. She had no idea that her parents, while good people, fraternized with known Death Eaters and were constantly under pressure to follow Lord Voldemort. And to think if such a thing happen, Rose would most likely be married off by arrangement and not for love Running her hands over her face, she tried to calm the anxiety billowing within her. It would not do any good for her to have a panic attack when Rose was in such a state. George sighed softly beside her, reminding her that he was still there.

“I feel like I’m going to pass out or vomit,” she breathed, resting her hand on her cheek as she stared darkly at the floor. She suddenly became aware of how badly her hands and body was shaking. She hadn’t eaten much for breakfast at the Leaky Cauldron and now that she was put under such stress, it seemed her body disagreed with the combination.

“Probably because you’re hungry,” George said softly and glanced to the bag of food left untouched as events unfurled. He pulled out his wand and wordlessly levitated it over to the two of them. He snatched the bag out of the air and immediately retrieved two small paper containers which each held two fillets of beer-battered fish and a plethora of chips. He handed one to Bellamy, which she graciously took, and kept one for himself before levitating the bag to the top of the stairs to Fred or Rose would see, lest one of them get hungry.

They ate in silence on the thin staircase, Bellamy’s arms tucked closely against her sides as she noshed on the undoubtedly delicious fish and chips. After a few minutes silence had passed, she turned and looked at George. She still felt cross with him for going through her personal things, but her anger with him had dissipated a bit with the circumstances. Anyone willing to stand up for her sister, to a man as wicked as Lucius Malfoy, must not have been too bad.

“We’re staying,” she said suddenly, “I don’t think it’s too safe for us at our home and I’m sure once Rose writes our parents…they’ll find someway to leave and hide out until things get better.” She took the last bite of fish she had and chewed, looking ahead blankly. “That is if you don’t want us to stay here because of things.” George internally balked at the idea, and turned to her, staring at her earnestly.

“Do you honestly think we’d turn you out when there are mad men out there like Lucius Malfoy?” He asked rhetorically. “I think not. I don’t thinks there’s any safer place than here.” Bellamy stared at him in disbelief, placing her now empty paper container to the side, wiping her fingers off on her jeans. George took note of her expression and smirked a bit. “We know people who can protect you if things get any worse for you. And…not to brag…but Fred and I’ve been trained how to defend myself from Harry Potter himself.” Bellamy’s light brown eyes widened as she stared at him in surprise, causing a small chuckle to escape him.

“ ‘arry Potter?” She asked softly, shaking her head a bit. George merely nodded and smiled. “I’ve heard rumors…all the way in France, if you’ll believe it, that he could produce a full, corporeal Patronus by his third year. Is it true?” George nodded slowly and, if it were even possible, Bellamy looked even more surprised. “Can you produce a Patronus?” George let out a heavy sigh and looked down at the wand that sat beside him on the stairs, he looked back up at Bellamy.

“Well…I’m probably a bit to stressed right now to do so…but I have done it before. Harry was a fantastic teacher and I feel more than capable of protecting someone,” he said with a nod and Bellamy let out a small hum.

“I used to be able to,” she said sadly, looking away from him, “It was a raccoon, my Patronus. She was the cutest little thing.” George looked away from her as well, hoping that, yet again, his eyes did not betray the knowledge of Bellamy’s past. “I had a name for her too. Sournois.” She sent George a sidelong glance. “That means sneaky.” She sighed heavily and shook her head a bit. “I haven’t seen her in years. I guess I just…grew up and forgot how.” George glanced over to her and opened his mouth to speak, but was cut off by the sound of the bell at the front door ringing and the cheerful voices of a few children.

“Well…guess lunchtimes over,” he said as he stood, Bellamy copying his actions. “I suppose Fred and Rose will be a while.” She nodded and sent a concerned look up the stairs but knew that her sister was well tended with Fred.

“Indeed,” she said with a nod, “I’ll go out into the shop with you and help until she’s calmed down. I must warn you, it should take a while. And don’t worry,” she placed a hand on his arm and gave him the smallest smirk, speaking in a stage-whisper as she cut her eyes at him, “I’ll try not to scare away any of your customers.” George let out a chuckle as he shook his head.

“Just don’t go around looking through any of the telescopes and you should be fine,” he said playfully, but immediately realized that she was sending him a look to kill and the grin fell. He felt the color drain from his face as she glared at him. He wouldn’t put it past her to punch him and he shuddered to think of how painful that would be. For someone so little, he didn’t doubt she could pack a walloping uppercut.

“Just because I’m helping you, doesn’t mean I like you…or that I forgive you,” she said simply and turned on heel, leaving the backroom with her head held high.