Status: Completed with ten stars!

You Said You Read Me Like A Book

A Guy I Know

I stared blankly at the wall. Gerard patted my arm softly. I looked at him and he smiled. I looked back at the wall and he sighed.

“What’s on your mind?” He asked softly. I just shrugged. “Aw, come on. I know something’s bothering you.”

“Well, I’m just thinking about my mom, “I said quietly. He nodded slowly.

“I’m sorry, “he whispered. I looked at him.

“For what, “I asked confusedly.

“I know how much drinking messes up the people around you. My little brother didn’t have much of a childhood because of my stupid mistakes, “he said quietly.

“You have a little brother?” I asked him. He nodded, smiling slightly.

“His name’s Mikey, “he stated. “He works at the Barnes and Noble in Belleview.”

“Oh, that’s cool, “I shrugged. He smiled at me.

“Well, you’re going to be reading soon. Are you ready?” He asked, smiling at me.

“I’m as ready as I’ll ever be, “I joked. He nodded understandingly. The man came to tell me that I was about to have to go on. I stood and fidgeted nervously with my paper. Gerard cupped my face in his hands.

“Hey, you’ll do great, “he smiled. I nodded nervously. He patted me softly before leading me to where I was supposed to go. I then followed the man who took me onto the stage.

“Ladies and gentleman, I present Miss Ashlyn Burton, “he announced. Everyone clapped and I took a deep breath.

“This is a poem I wrote about an unpleasant aspect of my life. It’s called ‘Scars’, “I said softly.

Sometimes, I cry myself to sleep.
I know you don’t know what you do.
But, sometimes, I cut too deep.
And it’s all because of you.

Sometimes, I feel my heart break.
I know you don’t understand.
All my happiness is fake.
Too much do you demand.

I wish you could just see.
There are things I want to say.
The things you do to me,
I never know from day to day.

Those old memories are all I keep.
I have nothing else to hold on to.
Every word you scream cuts me deep.
And just to think it’s all because of you.

These cuts will one day disappear.
And so will the bruises that you made.
I just wish you would hold me dear.
Instead, this pain will never fade.


I left the stage and everyone clapped loudly. I nervously searched the crowd for Gerard. He ran up to me and smiled.

“That was amazing! Everyone loved it!” He exclaimed proudly. I nodded shyly.
“Thank you, “I muttered. He laughed and put his arm around me.

“You don’t know how talented you are, “he stated.

“It’s not that I don’t know. No one really cares…”I mumbled to myself. He looked at me for a minute.

“Well, I care. Don’t ever forget that, “he said sternly. I nodded slowly, following him out of the doors.

When we got back to the hotel, I lay on my temporary bed. He left to get dressed. He came back in a pair of black and red checkered pants, but no shirt. I stared at him for a minute, noting every feature about him. He looked at me and I glanced away nervously. I felt my face burn. I glanced back at him and he smirked. I just looked nervously at the edge of the dresser. I walked over and pulled out my night clothes and went to change into them. When I came back, I lied down on the bed. I stared at the ceiling for a little while before he coughed.

“Well, are you going to bed? If you are, I’ll turn out the lights, “he offered. I nodded and he turned the lights off. I stared at the sliver of light that poured into the room. After a few minutes, he shuffled nervously. I looked over in his general direction. “Can I ask you something?” He asked quietly.

“Yeah, “I muttered. He seemed to be forming the question in his head.

“I was looking through your notebook, “he started quietly. I waited for him to continue. “I read one of the others.”

“Which one, “I asked.

“The Man of Words, “he replied softly. I bit my lip.

“Okay, “I said nervously.

“I was just wondering about something, “he said slowly.

“What is it?” I asked him.

“Who is it about?” He asked finally. I bit my lip nervously. “Are you still awake?” He asked after a couple of minutes.

“Yeah, I am, “I said quietly.

“Well, who is it about?” He asked again.

“This guy I know, “I said finally. This didn’t seem to answer his question.

“Tell me about him, “He requested.

“He’s quite a bit older than me. He’s married. It’s pretty much impossible for me to be with him. Plus, he doesn’t even know how I feel, “I muttered.

“Well, are you guys close?” He asked me.

“Well, we’ve been getting a bit closer, “I admitted.

“What does he do for a living?” He asked quietly.

“Well, he works with kids, “I said softly.

“How so, “he asked.

“Well, he’s a teacher, “I admitted quietly. A few minutes of silence passed. He seemed to be fidgeting nervously.

“Are you in love with him?” He asked finally.

“Very much so, “I replied softly. Another long silence passed.

“Does he love you back?” He asked me quietly.

“I don’t know. Probably not, “I admitted to myself. “He’s happily married. He’s a teacher. Plus, I’m just a little kid to him.” The last part hurt me to say. He took a deep breath before exhaling.

“No, you’re not, “he declared.

“No, I’m not what?” I asked him.

“You’re not just a little kid to me, “he muttered.
♠ ♠ ♠
Aw.. (: Comments are amazing.
Check out muh other stuff too, why don'tcha!