Status: Completed with ten stars!

You Said You Read Me Like A Book

Jersey Night Life

We listened to the other poets read their pieces. I began to feel extremely nervous. I was younger and less experienced than all of the others. Gerard looked at me and I looked down at the table. I scooted forward and placed my hands in my lap and fidgeted nervously. He snaked his hands in between mine and intertwined our fingers. The warmth from his skin melted my heart.

“Now, we have a very special guest here with us tonight. She’s a young poet all the way from Belleview. Please give a warm welcome to Miss Ashlyn Burton, “a man announced. I felt nervous as ever as the crowd clapped. I walked up to the podium and cleared my throat.

“Hello, “I said as I tried to feign some confidence. “As with most poets, I write about the things I feel. I have found that, sometimes, life tends to give you more than you can handle alone. Lately, it seems like I’ve been given a lot to deal with. However, I don’t have to deal with it alone. Life’s also given me an amazing individual who has helped me more than they could ever know. This is dedicated to that person, and it’s titled ‘What You’ve Given Me’.”

I could not begin to thank you,
For all that you have done.
This would have been a war that
Alone, I could not have won.

I could not begin to tell you
How grateful I am for you.
I tried to tell you with this poem,
But these words could never do.

I could not begin to express
How incredibly lucky I am
To have someone who can make me feel
As though I could never give a damn

Thank you for being so kind.
You have been a light so I can see.
Thank you for being you,
Because you are the only hope for me


Much to my surprise, everyone stood and clapped wildly. My heart beat faster, but I felt the relief shoot throughout my body. I walked off of the stage and back to Gerard. He smiled at me and I sat back down next to him.

“That was amazing, “he whispered. “Thank you.” I smiled back at him.

“Any time, “I laughed. We waited until after the man finished his announcements before we left. We got in his car and he looked at me.

“Well, have you ever experienced the night life?” He asked suddenly.

“Not really, “I admitted. He smiled.

“Do you want to go out tonight and do something fun?” He asked me, smiling brightly.

“Sure, “I nodded. He drove away from the parking lot and down a dimly lit street. A little while later, we pulled over on the side of the road. He walked around and opened the door for me. I got out and followed him nervously down the street. We came to a small doorway and he looked at me.

“You trust me, right?” He asked, smiling slightly. I nodded and he grabbed my hand. He knocked on the door and a man opened it. He looked at me.

“How old is she?” He asked deeply.

“She’s eighteen, but she’s with me, “he said solemnly.

“Alright, “the man said, stepping aside. I followed Gerard nervously through the crowd of dancing bodies. They blared a semi-familiar song and I followed him over to the bar. After the song went off, another one came on. I recognized this one. Beyoncé’s ‘Crazy in Love’ played loudly. Gerard smiled at me.

“Would you like to dance?” He grinned. I just shrugged and followed him out to the dance floor. We danced through the song and continued dancing through three others. Finally, he decided we should get a drink and he got me a bottle of water as well as a Sprite for himself. After a couple of minutes, he decided he needed to go to the bathroom and he left me at the bar.

“Hey there, “someone slurred. I turned to face the source of the voice. A tall man in ripped jeans and a t-shirt towered over me.

“Hello, “I said, trying not to convey my nervousness.

“Are you here alone, babe?” He asked drunkenly.

“No, my… I’m not here alone, “I said quickly. The guy just laughed.

“Hey, babe, “he said through laughter. “I just wanna have a little fun.” He draped his arms over my shoulders.

“Please, leave me alone, “I said, losing control over my nervousness.

“Aw, come on babe, “he slurred.

“Leave me alone, “I said quietly.

“I don’t think I will, “he smirked. I struggled to get out from under his grip. He leaned forward and I could smell the alcohol on his breath. “Give me a kiss.” I tried to hit him, but all he did was laugh.

“Get away from me, “I said harshly, trying to sound confident. He scoffed and proceeded to put his hands up my shirt. “Stop it!” I raised my knee swiftly and he groaned, but his grip only tightened.

“You’re rough, “he smirked. “I like it.” I tried to wriggle out of his grip, but my struggles were to no avail. He pinned me against the wall and breathed on my neck. “You smell sexy.” I squeezed my eyes shut. He put his lips to my neck and sucked my skin. I felt so scared and helpless.

“Get the fuck off of her,” I heard a familiar voice growl angrily. The guy was jerked away from me and I watched in terror as he punched Gerard in the chest. I saw his face twist up in pain, but he tried not to let it show. He punched the guy back one hard time and in his drunken state, the guy stumbled backwards over a bar stool. Gerard took my hand and led me quickly from the club to his car. He drove quickly back to the hotel. When we got inside the room, I just walked over and lied down on the bed. He slammed the door shut which caused me to jump.

“I shouldn’t have left you… I really shouldn’t have taken you… I knew Jersey’s not a good place to live anyways, “he rambled guiltily. I sat up and looked at him.

“It happens all the time, “I said quietly. He stopped and looked at me.

“What do you mean?” He asked suspiciously.

“I get attacked by random guys all the time, “I admitted quietly. “It’s nothing new…”This seemed to anger him. He crossed the room in two strides and knelt in from of me.

“Ash, you deserve so much better, “he said softly. He grabbed my hand and pulled up the sleeve of my shirt. “You shouldn’t have any reason to do that to yourself.” I looked down at the floor. “I’ve seen the bruises and the cuts and the way you act… You deserve so much better…”I placed my fingers between him and smiled slightly.

“I’m beginning to think that Fate is trying to make up for all of that crap, “I said quietly.

“What do you mean?” He asked slowly.

“I have you, don’t I?”
♠ ♠ ♠
So... Comments are really wanted... If you like this, comment!