Till the Day That I Found You

.oo3

After I finished my shower and dried off, I walked in the direction Erica had to see where she was. I found her in Elizabeth Jude's room. Erica was cradling her and standing by the window. I smiled and walked on to Zechariah Smith's room. He was still sleeping in his little crib under his American flag mural. I left him alone and traveled on to Amy Michelle's room. Amy, my little trooper, was awake.

"Hey, baby!" I picked her up and rocked her a little bit. She giggled and I sang a little to her, "Amy, eh-eh-Amy. You've changed my life. Oh, Amy eh-eh-Amy, you make everything alright."

She cuddled against my chest and I sat down on her pale blue bean bag chair. I looked around her room. It was amazing they got her mural of the cover of Dog Problems by The Format done so fast. Considering the rush...

"ZACH!!!" I ran over to Erica, "The twins are coming."

We had been in hospital from early this morning. When Erica got her ultrasound months ago they said they thought we were going to have twins. Erica hadn't been back since because she wanted to spend time on tour with us, and didn't want to go to random doctors.

I won't go into to detail but let's just say Elizabeth came out first, five minutes later Zechariah came. But then ten minutes later, when the doctors were cleaning up, Erica was in pain again.

"Erica, what's going on?"

Through her tears she said, "I don't know, it feels like another one's coming!"

"But that's not possible! We were just suppose to have the twins."

The doctor was in position and I was holding Erica. From the end of the bed the doctor said, "This rarely ever happens, ever. Did you go to all your ultrasounds?"

Erica looked up at me, I answered for her, "No, we were touring and didn't have time."

The doctor nodded, "Well, if you went they could have probably told you to prepare for another package."

And soon enough little Amy was born. When I say little I mean it, she was way smaller than her siblings and even the doctor was worried.

"It seems that she's a premature baby. This means that when the two eggs that Erica had ovulated were fertilized, at some point Elizabeth's egg split and began to develop Amy. Elizabeth and Amy are identical and Zechariah is their fraternal twin, or this case triplet."

I looked over at Erica, she smiled up at me and said, "Looks like we're going to have to add a mural to the extra room."

It was only two hours later that the doctor's told us that Amy may die, because she was so tiny. All the guys were at the hospital, along with my parents and brother, Erica's family, Kylie, and Meghan. I broke down, hard. Erica silently cried in her hospital bed and my mom rubbed my back trying to tell be it'd be okay.

"NO! IT WON'T BE OKAY, MOM. MY BABY MAY DIE!! THAT'S NOT OKAY!"

I stormed out of the room and sped down to the nursery. I stood outside the glass paned room. The doctor came to walk me away.

"Mr. Porter, please, you need to leave, it'll only make you more upset."

"No, I'm sorry, but I need to get in there. I need to see my baby, do you understand?"

"Sir, I think you need to be with your wife now."

I couldn't take it anymore, I pushed past the doctor and into the nursery. I found Amy and pulled up a chair to her incubator. Her eyes were open and looking around.

"It's okay, daddy's here," I put my hand next to her and let her grab a hold onto my finger, "They said you won't make it, but I know you're going to be a fighter just like your mommy. They don't get to say when your life is over." I bowed my head and for the first time in many, many years, I said a prayer.

I muttered to whatever higher being there was out there, "Umm, I don't really know how to do this anymore, but this seems like a time to look for a miracle. And I was always told that when I needed you the most, you'd be there. This kinda seems like a good time to ask for a bit of help. They told me she's going to die, I can't let that happen. I won't let that happen. Please, help in any way possible," I paused and looked at Amy who'd been staring at me I gently sang, "I'll move mountains to be with you."

I must have been there a while because when Cameron came in he seemed really tired. He pulled a chair up next to me.

"Zach..."

"Please, don't tell me she's going to die, I won't hear it."

"You can't control what you can and cannot hear," he said in a harsh whisper, "Zach, you need to understand that the chance of little Amy here living his a hopeless dream. There is a little to no chance that she'll live. Please, Zach, don't bother."

I turned and looked at him, stood up slowly and pointed to the door, all while never letting go of Amy's hand.

"Out," I said in a unforgiving tone.

He did, and a doctor replaced his spot. I sat back down and told Amy not to listen to her "Uncle" Cameron. That he was only trying to get me to see the negative side to this, so if anything happened I'd be emotionally prepared. The doctor stood there and waited for me to stop talking to my infant.

"Mr. Porter..."

"Please, if you come to tell me she's going to die again, you can just leave."

"Please try and understand..."

"NO. You aren't doing enough to help. There has to be something you can do. Anything."

"She is too underdeveloped, she can stay in the incubator but it won't help too much. And she didn't even get too much time to make enough blood."

"What's her blood type?"

"Sir, I don’t know if..."

"I asked, what her blood type was, doctor."

I was fuming, finally the doctor told me what Amy's blood type was. It was a match to mine. I grabbed a tourniquet and needle from under Amy's incubator and held it out to the doctor. Realizing that I wasn't doing to move until he took as much as Amy needed, he sighed and tied the tourniquet around my arm.

"You're ruthless, aren't you?"

"I'll just do anything I have to for the ones I love."

He smiled and stuck the needle in. I looked over at Amy who had been looking around dreamily all this while.

"We'll get you help, Chasse," I said to her. The doctor looked at me in curious tone. I explained, "It means fighter in French."

After he got the blood and they tested it, Amy was hooked up to it. She cried when they stuck the needle in, and that made my heart scream. She needed it though. I went back to sit with Erica for a little bit. An hour or so later the doctor came storming in.

Erica winced, "Please, don't say that she d..."

"IT'S A MIRACLE! We were checking all the babies, Elizabeth and Zechariah were healthy and happy. We were a bit scared when we got to Amy, but she, although still smaller than her siblings, is just as healthy! She no longer has that grayish tint to her skin and is giggling like all the other children!"

Erica cried and held my hand tighter. I smiled through my tearing eyes.

"Can we see her and her siblings?"

"Of course!"

Erica and I went down to the nursery and saw our babies again. I wrapped my arm around her and she leaned her head on my chest. I kissed the top of her head before having her sit down for a bit. She held Zechariah for little while, when I held Elizabeth. Amy was still in her incubator and was going to have to stay there a little longer. Erica glanced up at me with a big smile.

"We did good."

I grinned, "Yes, we did."...

Amy squirmed a bit in my arms. I looked down at her and she began to cry a bit.

"Aww, are you hungry? Let's get you some breakfast."

I walked with her to the kitchen and pulled out a bottle and formula. Zechariah began to cry in his room. I heard Erica put down Elizabeth so she could check up on him. I smiled down at Amy.

"You're mom is running around like a chicken with no head on to take care of all of you kids," I paused, "You're lucky, you know, to have a mom like her. I just want you to know that."