Till the Day That I Found You

.oo5

After a few moments Erica slipped her hand down and intertwined our fingers. She pulled me knee deep into the water and splashed me with her free hand. I jumped back and splashed her back. My swing of water missed her and she laughed at me. Then Erica pulled me back up the beach and to our back steps. On the porch she handed me a towel from the rack she had set up when we first moved in. I dried off and she smiled at me, and giggled every so often. When I was all cleaned up we went back into the house.

Mrs. Hare was playing with Elizabeth. Our other two beautiful children were giggling in their seats.

"What you think I'm silly?" Mrs. Hare blew a raspberry in Zechariah's hand. He was thrown into hysterics. I don't think I've seen him laugh so hard.

Finally Mrs. Hare noticed us and she had us sit down at the island with our kids. She placed a dish in front of each of us. Bacon and eggs never looked so good. I was about to eat them all up but Mrs. Hare slapped my hand first.

"SON! Calm down. I need to talk to you bunch first. " She looked at Erica then back to me. "Now, you two are very dear to my heart. I know you've only lived her a few months, but you remind me of my husband and myself when we were young. We were deeply in love, we too started a family as soon as we could. We knew that no one else in the entire world could ever love us like the other did. No one was as perfect for us. And that's not saying that we were perfect, no one is. But we were like soul mates, and there's no denying that. If he hadn't died last year, he'd be here in this room now telling you guys that you weren't allowed to fight like school kids and that your love could change the world. And it can. Your love radiates. When you're together anyone with any sense can see that there's no getting between you two. And when you talk about the other when they're away, your faces glow. Your relationship with your children aren't any different. Your love is rare. So many people these days don't ever find their other half like you two did. NEVER let anything ruin that, and that's including your own petty differences."

She motioned toward the food, "Now, eat up before it gets cold."

As Erica and I ate, Mrs. Hare played with the kids some more and talked more with Erica. I was too busy with the thoughts circulating in my mind...

It was really late and Erica was jumping on our bed in her bra and underwear. She and I had both devoured an entire box of dark chocolate and it was starting to react. The night was going to start out with us just eating the chocolate then watch some 20/20 or something. It didn't happen that way. Erica and I had found some abandoned hockey sticks on our way to the motel from the Gertrude Hawk store.

Erica slapped my tummy, "Zach!" She pointed to them. Much like me, she loved to play hockey. I smiled at her then grabbed them. We continued on to our motel. We snuck them to our room, which wasn't too hard considering it was a motel. We were just there for the night .

The box of chocolate was completed and water was downed to help wash it out. My laptop was open and blasting music. I challenged Erica to a game of hockey.

"Oh really? I don't think you want to go that."

"Oh, you scared?" I came back at her.

She laughed at me, "Me? Scared? Of your little white ass? I don't think so." She lifted up the hockey sticks and threw one at me. "Okay let's make this interesting. Let's pretend this is a shootout. I'm goalie, you're offence. For every goal I save, you have to take something off. For every goal I miss, I take something off. Down to undergarments."

I twitched an eyebrow up, "So we'll be playing strip hockey?"

"Exactly."

I had to remember to have her eat more chocolate again, "You're on."

She made her goal same size as a normal goal, so she didn't cheat. As she did that I rolled up some socks to make a puck. I turned back around to see Erica in a sweatshirt and sweatpants that she wasn't in before. More clothes means more times she can miss and it still be okay.

"Game on," she said.

I smirked and placed the makeshift sock-puck down. I missed the goal completely. She smiled and said, "You know what you've got to do."

I sighed and took off one of my socks. Then she threw the puck back to me. I was really rusty, but she couldn't have been that much better. Again I tried to score, I got it closer this time. She was fast though and blocked it with ease. She held the puck up, waiting. I took off my other sock and she threw the puck back to me again. Finally on the third shot it went right over her shoulder. Erica cursed under her breath and took off her sweatpants. She had a pair of shorts underneath. She threw the puck to me.

The game went back and forth pretty consistently. It ended with me in my briefs staring at Erica in her bra and pajama shorts. She laughed at me and said, "And you were the one on the varsity team!"

She jumped onto the bed and began to jump up and down. Then she splat down and crawled over to me. She got up so she was sitting up straight on her knees. I was still standing on the floor. She put her had to my face and pulled me to her. I could still smell the dark chocolate. We kissed. When we broke apart she turned and jumped again. Then she said that she felt bad for me so she stripped out of her pajama shorts. I laughed at her. I could get used to this hyper-Erica.

She put her hand out to me and I grabbed it. I was hauled up onto the bed and we jumped together. Then she tackled me down. She was laying on top of me and laughing.

"Oh no!" I screamed and we began to wrestle.

It was just a playful kind of wrestle too. Like something Vic and I used to do when we were younger. And that's another thing I loved about Erica: She always could bring out my inner kid. Suddenly she unwrapped our arms and legs and peaked out the window. She giggled then came to me and pulled me out the door...

Mrs. Hare snapped her fingers in my face, "Wake up, boy. Zechariah is crying. Man up and change his diaper." I got out of my chair and picked him up out of his. I brought him to the bathroom where Erica and I had set up a changing table.

"Okay little dude, let's do this."