Crystal Baller

in my mind, our record still plays

James sat on the edge of his bed, his head down, shaggy chestnut locks falling over his face. His elbows seemed to dig into his thighs; every sensation he felt was somehow painfully intensified.

Maybe it was due to his lack of sleep these past few nights, he hadn’t done any drugs. Maybe all of this was due to the way his heart felt like it was crumbling into a million scattered pieces and he was frantically trying to pick up the pieces, desperate to make something from this mess.

He caught a glimpse of himself in the mirror across the room and barely recognized the face staring back at him. His complexion was washed out, his hair was dull and laid in clumps across his forehead, bluish purple bags were apparent under his eyes.

He just couldn’t deal with the thought of losing her.

She had told him that she was happy with him, but life in Hollywood just wasn’t working the way she had planned. She wanted to go back to South Carolina, and though he wanted to be with her, he knew that he needed to stay in Los Angeles for his career. Life was cruel in that way, and James just couldn’t understand how two people so perfect for each other had to be forced apart.

Autum was the first person he’d really let in since his last relationship ended in a chaotic split. They were both weighed down by baggage from previous relationships, and though it was difficult, they had both managed to toss all their issues aside and come together to make something beautiful.

Now it was all slipping through his fingers.

For once in his life, James actually imagined a future with her, could picture himself spending his life with her. That was what had driven him to buy the ring in the first place, even though he knew it was much too soon.

His fingers grazed the navy velvet exterior of the small box as it lay on the bed beside him. Inside that tiny box were so many promises and hopes for the future, but now they had all washed away. James just wished he would have had the chance to ask her.

The moment was stuck in his head, like a video on repeat looping over and over again. He envisioned what her answer might have been, examining both outcomes carefully. Even if she said no, at least he would’ve had some form of closure. At least he would’ve asked.

Now he was just stuck in his bedroom with a ring that he’d probably never use, but that he just couldn’t bring himself to return to the jeweler’s. James carefully removed it from the box, rotating the silver band around in his grasp, his hazel eyes scanning over the inscription.

True love stories never have endings....

It was a little cheesy, but James felt like it fit in their case. Looking back, he realized that he was wrong.

But there was a glimmer of hope buried deep inside of his soul that maybe she would change her mind, maybe she would stay. It wasn’t much, but it was all he had to hold on to.

James just needed to know how it ended, but there was no fast-forward for life, so instead, he was left waiting on her to pull him closer or let him go.
♠ ♠ ♠
Eh, I'm iffy on this one, so any helpful comments would definitely be appreciated.

Day eight: mirror