Sequel: Seeing Red

Heart of Man

Chapter 41

Image

I watched Alex slide across the ice on the TV and mess with Erika, but it didn't help in making me feel any better. Scooting farther into Mike's couch, my arms pulled the pillow tighter to my chest, my legs crossed underneath me. Part of my mind wanted me to not want the Capitals to make it to the end, even to the point of cheering on Vancouver. It should be us out there.

Young Braden Holtby chatted with the captain for a moment or two, before the camera veered off of them and began spewing facts about the two teams' “rivalry” and such. What a load of bullshit, trying to make it look good. It worked, but knowing just kind of made it extremely laughable, in a good way.

A loud vibration overpowered the volume of the already too-loud television, and I sighed before tossing the pillow to the side and sulking into the kitchen. Unplugging my phone from the charger and seeing the unknown Detroit number, I hit the green button and held it to my ear. “Yello?”

“Is this Anna Trovato? I got your number from Val, and wanted to talk to you for a few moments? Do you have a few minutes? I know the game is on.” I felt my face flush a thousand degrees at this stranger who knew what I was doing. Covering my face, even though the guy calling couldn’t see, I climbed back over the couch and sunk into the mountain of pillows and blankets.

“Of course. May I ask who is calling?” Biting my lip as the first period started, I moved the phone to my other ear before grabbing the bowl of macaroni in front of me.

“Oh, sorry, this is Ruslan. I know that your contract is up after the season, and I was wondering what your plans were for next season. My lips are sealed and Val said that if I told anyone what you said, that you’d probably castrate me yourself.” I couldn’t help but let out a laugh, despite watching Roxy come down the side of the ice, charging for the net with Bergeron.

“I’m not too sure myself, to be quite honest with you-MOTHER FUCKER!” Cursing at the screen, they showed the replay of Bergeron shooting, but Holtby blocked it, while Roxy was there for the rebound and buried it for the first point of the game. Ruslan was laughing heartily on the other side for several moments, before clearing this throat. Dipping my spoon into the macaroni, I shoveled a bite into my mouth and chewed harshly.

“Maybe this was a bad time.” Taking my anger out on macaroni. What has my life become?

“Nah, it’s fine. Avangard’s hit the maximum foreign player limit for next year, despite Jaromir planning on leaving since they are bringing in two other Finnish players.” Muting the tv for the time being, I sat back against the backrest. Roxy and Erika shared a smile, as play continued and it made my stomach drop. “I don’t think I’m cut out for the NHL, to be honest. This isn’t my place.”

“That’s a load of bullshit, Anna. Right now, your options are the NHL, KHL, or taking a year off. Going back to the Swedish or Finnish leagues won’t do you any good, as you and I both well know, and taking a year off is a stupid mistake that you know better to not take.” Cocking an eyebrow on his straightforward words, I folded my free arm behind my neck and leaned back listening. “Take a break from the NHL, if you want. You came, had a taste, and maybe need to spend some time away and decide what is best for you.”

“What exactly are you asking of me, Mr. Salei?”

“I need to make a phone call, okay? I’ll call you either tomorrow or the next day. Think about what I said, yeah?” There was a long pause on his end, before I heard anything else. “I’m thirty six years old, Anna, and I’ve done some calling around. I can assure that I’m not the only one concerned about your well-being in our soon-to-be-retired ages. Miss Harper and Miss McGregor have their direction. You don’t.”

Furrowing my brow, I was confused by what he was saying. “I have direction.”

Chuckling through his end, he dismissed my words. “I’ll call you in a few days.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Hey guys! I'm going to be going back and cleaning up, making sure everything flows, and just bettering the story in general. We are almost to the end, sort of. God, this chapter made me cry. Hope the foreshadowing helps~ :D

vany262 & ThePerfectThing, I'd like to thank you both for your comment and support. It has been challenging, but I hope it's all worth it! Thanks for sticking with everything! :)