Wall Paper

Family Reunion

The doctor came in suddenly and hurriedly. He looked completely unamused as he examined my bloody mess of a face. He examined me the way a young child might fiddle with peas on her plate; with complete disinterest and stifled agitation.

I was a measly human, being prodded by aliens. The doctor (and his nurse) didn't speak to me. There was a sour taste in my mouth; an unidentified fluid, oozing from my split lip, each time he tugged at the thread.

________________________________

Monarch was on sale. $8 a bottle. Finally, something was going my way. I wrapped my lips around it like a baby on a nipple and sucked down a fiery gulp of the cheap liquor. I winced when I pulled the bottle away from my lips. The vodka stung, settling in my wounds, around my mouth. I could still hear the faint sound of sirens, racing through distant streets, trying to get to the place I so narrowly escaped, not ten minutes ago.

Leroy's Auto Shop was a hole in the wall place that I'd been frequenting since I was in high school. Leroy himself had been working there for 'round 200 years. The man could barely stand straight, let alone hold a wrench, but we had history, I guess you could say. It was the first thing that popped out of my mouth as they hauled the crumpled mess of my Rabbit Diesel away-- "Leroy's... on 87th."

I hadn't called Henry, yet. I knew I had to. He was the only ticket into getting my shit together. I might as well finish my drink before even considering calling my old man. I knew he'd have nothing constructive to say about today's happenings. I brought the bottle to my lips again and took another swig. Dragging my way down 72nd, with 15 blocks to go, I searched halfheartedly for a payphone.

__________________________________

"Henry? It's Jasper."
"Jasper? Jasper, who?"
Henry had a gravely, angry voice that could put the devil himself in his place.
"It's me, dad. Jasper."
"Well how in the hell would I know that? Any son who stood in his damn place would have the sense and respect not to call me Henry. Rotton spoiled son of a bitch."

Henry let out a wheezy laugh. I sat quietly waiting for him to shut up. Waiting for him to stop talking to himself, because god knows I wasn't listening to a damn thing he was saying.

"Dad? Can I talk now?"
"Sure. What do you need, Jasper? I know you're not calling to say 'hello'."
"I need money. My car is totaled. I just left the hospital now. I'm at Leroy's Shop. It'll cost me $1200 to fix... I only have half of that."
There was a pause and a moan from the other end. He was either about to laugh or yell. I could never tell which one.
"I need the money Henry. I need my car. I never ask you f--"
"Damn it Jasper! Call me Dad. My name sound like hell coming out of your mouth!"
I waited. Stunned. Never knowing what to say.
"Can I have money, or not?"
"Come on over, son. I'll pour you a drink."

I hung up the phone, disoriented. I wiggled the door of the phone booth, trying to dislodge the rusty hinges from their bowed disfigurements. Young eyes peered at me. Some young broad walked in front of me, my eyes soaking in her long legs and round, bouncing breasts.
She smiled at me and I felt my eyes go read.

"Fuck off." I said in a passing whisper. She walked faster, away from me. Startled.
She had Jenna's eyes.