Austin

The Dance

Before anybody realized it, the night of the dance came. While played some baseball before getting ready, Cat stayed at home.

She sat facing the window that looked over the Sandlot, while her sister worked on her hair.

“Those boys are really good.” Ricki stated, smiling.

Cat smiled. “I know. I love playing with them. They don’t go easy just because I am a girl. I can play to my full potential and not have to hide the sports thing.”

Ricki nodded. “I didn’t get it at first. I still don’t, completely, but they’re your friends. You guys may be little twerps, but it’s nice to see you with people who make you happy.”

Cat was shocked. “Are you okay? You have never said anything like that to me in like…years.”

Ricki chuckled. “I know. But…with everything that has happened, I needed to say it. Now be quiet so I can finish your hair.” She teased.

A few hours later, Ricki dropped Cat off at her school for the dance. She and Benny had agreed to meet each other there, so that he could go with the guys and it wouldn’t be so weird. In reality, she wanted to surprise him.

When she walked in, there was music playing. She looked around for the boys and when she spotted them, she noticed that they didn’t see her yet. She walked towards them and then Hams turned around.

“Look at the babe coming over to us. I don’t recognize her. Do you think she’s new?” he was seriously asking them.

She smiled and suddenly Scotty’s eyes went wide. “Guys…that’s Cat.”

Everyone looked at her and their jaws dropped. They had never seen in her in anything but her jersey and baseball shoes. Now she was wearing a beautiful dress and sandals.

Benny walked closer to her and smiled. “Wow. Cat you look….wow.”

She laughed. “Thank you. You don’t look so bad yourself.” Then she looked around him at the guys. “Hey boys. Looking pretty good, there. Now put your eyeballs back in your head.”

However, they continued to stare. She rolled her eyes an laughed as she shook her head. Then Benny took her hand. “Do you…want to…”

She smiled. “I would love to dance.”

They walked away and left everyone staring at them. Hams sighed. “Are those two ever gonna get together?”

The rest of the boys shrugged and groaned. “They better do it soon. They’ve been walking around those feelings since she came here.”

On the dance floor, Benny and Cat were dancing, wrapped in each other arms. They liked the way it felt, and wondered if maybe, just maybe, they could be more than friends. But both were worried that is would jeopardize their friendship and break the bonds they already possessed.

“I like you a lot, Benny.” Cat suddenly blurted out.

He looked down at her. “You do?” Then he waited. “Thank God…I do too.”

She smiled. “Really?”

He nodded. “Yeah. Ever since you moved here.”

She bit her lip and smiled. “Good.”

They left it at that as that continued to dance, as if no one else was around them. As Cat thought about it, she realized that it was the best night she had had, in a very long time.