Austin

Her Biggest Secret

Over the next few days, Cat seemed to be her old self again, although Benny could see the hurt in her eyes. The following Friday, after they walked home and Smalls left them, Benny followed her to her house. Since her father was at work and Ricki was out with friends, he figured he would try to ask her about why she was acting so weird.

“Cat…what’s going on?” he spit out, worried for her reaction.

She looked up at him as she set her glove on the couch. “What do you mean, Benny?” She chuckled lightly.

He sighed. “I know you’re not okay. I also know that something like a contest shouldn’t have shaken you up so much, because you don’t usually care what people think.”

She hesitated. “Benny in case you forgot, I have only known you for a few months, so you really don’t know everything about me.” She snapped and paused. Taking a deep breath, she continued. “There are things in my past that are making this situation very unpleasant for me.”

He stared at her. “You can tell me. I have already kept your music secret from the guys.” he sat at the kitchen table. “You can trust me.”

She grinned. “Of course I can trust you, you’re my boyfriend.” She sat across from him and bit her lip. “Before we moved, I had this boyfriend and he was…not a good boyfriend. He was my first, so obviously I thought we loved each other. I realized later that I was wrong. He was a jerk. I mean, it wasn’t like he hit me or anything, he just wasn’t always nice.”

“Okay…”

She tapped her fingers on the table. “I had done this contest and performed in it. Everyone seemed to like me, but…I ended up not winning. It turns out that my boyfriend made it so I wouldn’t win. He slept with the daughter of one of the judges and she didn’t like me as his girlfriend.”

“Why would he even think of hurting you like that?” Benny asked, clearly angry.

She shrugged, getting the dirt out from under her nails with a pen. “He thought I was spending too much time working for this contest and not spending it with him. He decided that I should feel some loss too.”

“He thought you ditched him for the contest?”

She was quiet for a few moments. “It wasn’t only that. I…had been spending a lot of time where I couldn’t see him or even go anywhere with him.”

He watched her carefully, his heart filling with fear but not understanding why. “Cat…”

“I had cancer.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Hey guys! I am sorry for leaving it again. I am still trying to figure out how to link all of the events together. Also, I know that this is short, but please don't get mad. I wanted to update and there are a lot of good secrets in this one!

Side note: I don't think I ever mentioned an age for them in this story, so if I did please disregard. Imagine that they are older teenagers. Thanks. :)