Status: Active :) comments = updates

Haunted

Chapter 14

Chapter 14

"Don't wait. The time will never be just right." - Napoleon Hill

I kept reminding myself to breathe. Just breathe.

I opened the car door and slid in, putting my bag on the passenger seat after I closed the door.
Just put the key in, and start the car. I did. The engine started and my breathing started to pick up.

Calm. Calm. Calm.

I put my yellow VW Bug in reverse and pulled out of the parking space it had been sitting in since my move to Lima. I went into drive and started toward to exit, looking both ways before pulling out into the road. I texted Finn when I was dressed earlier telling him that I wanted to drive myself all day today. To school, back to the apartment to change, then to his house and back. He was really happy for me. Just thinking about him gave me even more confidence to drive.

Uncle Will was more proud of me then Finn was, I think. His eyes brimmed with tears when I told him; he hastily wiped them away and hugged me before he left for the high school.

I wasn’t as relaxed as I used to be driving. Not because of my driving, I trusted myself...it was everyone else that I didn’t.

I pulled into the school’s parking lot about eight minutes later. I found a spot relatively quick and parked. I turned the car off and took the keys out of the ignition. And just sat there with a small smile on my face. I did it.

I opened the door and got out, taking my messenger bag with me. I closed the door and hit the button on my key chain to lock the doors and threw my keys in my bag.

“Hey!” I called, seeing Puck walking a few feet in front of me.

He turned and smiled when he saw it was me, “Hey, Ry,” he said stopping and waiting for me to catch up with him. “You drive yourself here?”

I smiled up at him as we started walking together, “I did.”

He smiled back down at me, “Nice.”

“What do you have first?” I asked when we reached the doors, which he held for me, “Thank-you,” I added.

He nodded in acknowledgement, “Geometry with Finn. You?”

“Math with Mercedes and Tina,” I shrugged.

We slowed our pace, “How’s everything going?” he asked.

“Good. Better. I’m...I’m getting there,” I told him, truthfully.

He stopped at his locker and I stopped beside him, “Look, Ryley, I know I come off as this total badass. Which is pretty true to begin with, but whatever. We’re a family, okay? All of us. You ever need anything; you come to any of us. No one messes with the Glee kids,” he said while looking at me right in the eyes.

I smiled, letting his words sink in, they meant a lot to me, “No one messes with the Glee kids unless they’re getting slushied?” I asked with a slight laugh.

He smiled at me before turning to open his locker, “Exactly. We stand up for each other,” he said throwing some binders and textbooks in his locker before slamming it shut again, “But, don’t go around saying Puck is all mushy and shit. Not cool. I’m Puckasaurus, y’know?” he said while walking with me.

“Got it,” I laughed.

He smiled, “See you in Glee,” he said before turning the other corner to get to his class.

I saw Finn leaning against my locker when I was a few feet away, “Hey,” he said smiling.

“Hey,” I replied happily, I put in my combination and opened my locker.

“How was it?” he asked.

I closed my locker after changing up my binder and textbooks, “Good,” I said with a sigh, “I had to keep reminding myself to calm down.”

He took my hand and started walking me to my math class, “I’m really proud of you.”

I smiled, “Thank-you.”

We stopped in front of the room, he pulled me into a hug, “I’ll see you at lunch, okay?”

“Okay,” I said into his chest.

We pulled apart and kissed quickly, the warning bell went off just then.

He kissed my forehead, then smiled at me and left for his class.

I took my seat with Tina and Mercedes, and just couldn’t wait for school to be done.

--

Sky rockets in flight. Afternoon delight. Afternoon delight!

When the music stopped none of us clapped...except Brittany. We just weren’t sure what to make of the Celibacy Club singing about...afternoon delight.

“Okay,” Uncle Will said, standing up, “I’m thinking that’s it for today. See you guys tomorrow.”

Everyone stood up and I noticed that we all had little smirks.

“Even Puck,” I heard Mercedes say quietly.

I started to laugh, and then everyone started laughing.

“Ohhh, wow,” was all I could say between laughs.

Finn walked me over to my car, “What time should I be there?” I asked, opening my door.

He shrugged, “Whenever you’re ready.”

I threw my bag over to the passenger side, and got in, “Okay, I’ll see you at your house.”

He leaned down to kiss me, “See you,” he said pulling away from me.

I closed the door and started the engine, and headed home.

--

“You know,” Kurt said once he opened the door for me at his house, “you can just walk in. You’re dating my brother.”

I smiled and walked in, “I didn’t know I was allowed.”

He closed the door, “Well, for future reference. We’re all in the kitchen,” he said leading me through the hall to the kitchen.

“Hey, Ryley!” Mrs. Hummel said once I walked in.

“Hi, Mrs. Hummel,” I said, she gave me a look and smirked at me, “Carole,” I corrected.

“Hi, Ryley,” Mr. Hummel said smiling.

“Hi, Mr. Humm- um, Burt,” I said, correcting myself when he gave me a look too.

Finn motioned me over to sit beside him at the kitchen table; I went over to him, “Hi,” I smiled.

“Hey,” he smiled.

Kurt sat across from me, “Want a drink?” he asked.

“Huh, sure. I’ll just have water,” I said.

Kurt nodded, “Finn. Two waters, please.”

I put my head down so they wouldn’t see me laugh, Finn got up from beside me, and I heard Burt and Carole laugh a little bit.

“That is a great skirt, who picked it out?” I heard Kurt ask. I look up at him smiling.

“That would be you,” I said.

He smirked, “I know, I just like pointing out the fact that I have really good taste.”

“Well, dinners ready,” Carole said putting the plate of chicken on the table.

Finn put a bottle of water in front of me and one in front of Kurt before sitting back beside me, “It looks really good, Carole,” I said as Finn started piling things on his plate.

“Finn! Calm down, it’s not going anywhere,” Carole said, taking her seat, “And thank-you, Ryley.”

“So, how’s everything going, Ryley?” Burt asked, after putting some potatoes on his plate.

“Well,” I said, passing the tongs for the chicken over to Kurt, “I...like to think I’m doing better.”

He smiled over at me, “That’s good to hear, Ryley. I already think of you as part of the family, you’ve been making Finn happy, and that makes his mom and me happy. I told you before, it gets better. Do you kinda see what I mean now?”

I looked down at my plate and smiled, then looked back up to Finn, who was smiling down at me, “I see what you mean. I know it’s gonna take time to feel...one hundred percent. Or...I don’t even know if I’ll ever feel one hundred percent. But, I feel myself coming back to life again. Slowly, but its happening.”

Carole smiled at me, “You’ll get there. And thank-you for helping Finn get there too. With everything that happened before Christmas with him and Rachel...and then that thing with Quinn for a couple weeks this year, and everything last year too...my old Finn is coming back now, too.”

I smiled at Finn, who was smiling at me too, “He makes me happy.”

“How’s Rachel handling this?” Kurt asked from across the table.

I looked at Finn, waiting for him to answer, he stiffened, “Huh...the only way she can I guess. She’s probably planning songs for when the time is right.”

“She keeps giving me looks,” I shrugged before eating the rice that was on my fork.

“She’s probably just having a hard time dealing with it, is all. She was always very nice here and good to you, Finn. But...preoccupied with her future,” Carole shrugged looking at Burt for support.

He nodded, “That’s true. But sometimes things just don’t work out, can’t help that.”

“I’m happier now, anyways,” Finn said quietly.

Carole had a smile on her face, along with Burt. Kurt caught my eye and nodded approvingly with a small smile. Finn grabbed my hand under the table and squeezed, I squeezed back.
♠ ♠ ♠
Heyyyyyyy :)

This was one of those chapters that I had a hard time writing, because I just wanted to get on with the next one.

Thanks to everyone for reading, commenting and subscribing! It means so much to me, and makes me wanna keep writing!