Status: Active :) comments = updates

Haunted

Chapter 9

Chapter 9

"In three words I can sum up what I've learned about life: It goes on."-Robert Frost

“Black again, Ryley?” Kurt asked the second I got into his SUV that Saturday morning.

I laughed lightly, shutting the door behind me, “Good morning to you too, Kurt.”

He smiled, and started driving, “But seriously, black? What did I tell you when I texted you?”

I buckled my seatbelt and put my purse on the floor in front of me, “All you told me, after telling me I better be ready in fifteen minutes, was, ‘You better be wearing color.’”

I saw him nod out of the corner of my eye, “And you’re lucky I didn’t make you turn right around and go back to your room and change, I have been known to do that.”

I shrugged, “All my colourful clothes are pretty much in the back of my closet.”

He turned left and sighed deeply, “Understandable, don’t get me wrong. Black is always in fashion, and you look fabulous, but there’s nothing wrong with some color in your wardrobe.”

I looked down at my hands that were clasped in my lap, “I dunno. I don’t exactly see a reason to be colourful right now.”

Kurt pulled into the mall and began slowing down to look for an open space, “Again, understandable. But, personally, I think you have plenty to be happy about. I heard you’re a fantastic singer, you completed your first full week Glee week and with Sue there too, and there's going to be a party tonight, which is hilarious because it’s at Rachel’s house and you’re totally going.”

I laughed nervously as he found a spot halfway to the front entrance of the mall, “Noo, that’s alright.”

He laughed as we walked up to the mall, he held the door open for me before he spoke, “Oh, Ryley, you do make me laugh. Of course you’re going, we’re all going.”

I shook my head but didn’t speak until he was next to me, “It’s really fine, Kurt. I don’t think I wanna go to a party in Rachel’s basement.”

He sighed as he pushed me into a store, “I know it’s not the most...ideal place for a gathering, but it’s only the Glee kids, plus Blaine, but they don’t know that yet, so don’t tell anyone. But there should be alcoholic drinks, which will just make it bearable for everyone.”

“I don’t know, Kurt. I just don’t think I’ll be up to it,” I said as I looked at some of the tops they had.

“Look, Ry. I’m just trying to be mean or rude, but you have plenty to drink about. And I know, ohhh underage drinking, but I don’t know any kid our age that hasn’t drank before. You’ve had a terrible month, what’s wrong with being sixteen for a night, and just having fun with friends?”

“Umm...” was all I said, I didn’t know what else to say. Yeah, sure, I’ve drank before. And sure, maybe I did feel like having some fun...but I dunno I was living with Uncle Will.

Kurt shoved some tops into my arms, “Listen, Ryley, you’re coming. You’re going to have fun. I’m not drinking, Finn isn’t drinking. We’ll drive you home or you can stay at my place. Dad and Carole won’t mind. Just be a freaking kid for one night.”

I laughed at his eagerness. Why did he want me to go hang out with everyone? It didn’t really matter I suppose, I knew I was going to end up going in the end.

“And for the love of Marc Jacobs, you’re going to wear colour!” Kurt said yanking a black top I pulled from the rack, which almost made me drop all the clothes he shoved at me.

--

“Hello?” Uncle Will said once he picked the phone up.

“Hey, Uncle Will. Um, is it alright if I go to Rachel’s place tonight?” I asked, absentmindedly twirling my hair around my finger, until Kurt shoved my finger away so he could finish curling it.

He paused, “Who all is gonna be there?”

“Just the Glee kids and Blaine. Kurt’s friend from the Warblers,” I answered.

“Ahh...I don’t know, Ry. I’m mean, I trust you it’s just...I don’t know!” he laughed here, “I’ve never had a teenage girl living with me, I’ve never had a kid before, I don’t know if I’m suppose to let you go, or what.”

I laughed, “Uncle Will...it’s me. This isn’t my first ‘party’ if you can even call it that. Mom and Dad never really worried too much about me as long as I called when I got there. But, I might stay at Kurt’s the rest of the weekend and have Finn drive me to school.”

He sighed deeply, and I knew then I was going to get my way, he was exactly like my dad in that aspect, “Your parents really let you do that?”

I smiled hugely thinking about it, “Yeah, they let me be a kid. And...I kinda feel like being sixteen again.”

Kurt caught my eye in the mirror and winked making my hold in laughter, “Alright, you call me if you want to come home early. You can stay at Kurt’s for the weekend, and Finn can drive you to school on Monday. Come by tomorrow and grab some clothes and stuff. Okay?”

I smiled at Kurt who gave me thumbs up, “No problem, Uncle Will. Thank-you.”

“Okay, Ry. Be careful, I’ll see you tomorrow,” he said cautiously.

“Okay, see you,” I said before tapping the screen on my iPhone to hang up.

“Ugh, I cannot believe I even agreed to this whole thing, you’re not even wearing colour,” Kurt said spraying my head with hairspray.

I smiled, “I’m totally wearing colour. My outfit is grey and white, and my jewellery had purple in it...come on, Kurt, give me some credit,” I said laughing.

He smiled slightly, “You look fabulous anyways,” he said walking behind where I was sitting in the chair in front of his vanity in his room.

“Yeah, you do,” I heard Finn say.

I looked up and saw Finn standing in the door way with a small smile on his face, “Thanks, Finn,” I said.

“So, you guys ready to go?” Finn asked leaning against the doorway.

Kurt put his hand together, “Yes! I’m mildly excited, yet also terrified.”

I laughed and stood up to look at my new outfit that Kurt and I agreed on, “Alright, let’s see how this one goes.”

Kurt walked out first leaving Finn and I alone, “You really do look great,” he said.

I looked down, slightly embarrassed and plus I felt myself blushing, “Thank-you.”

“You excited?” he asked.

I looked back up at him, “Yeah. I mean, I used to go to parties and stuff back home, so I’m excited to see how this one measures up.”

Finn laughed, “Trust me, I know Rachel. It’s not going to be anything amazing, I’ll guarantee that.”

I shrugged, “Kurt said you’re not drinking,” I mentioned.

“No,” Finn breathed, “designated driver if anyone needs it. Are you?”

I laughed nervously and started twirling my beautiful (thanks to Kurt) curly hair, “Umm...it’s possible.”

Finn laughed, “That’s alright, it’s a party, isn’t it?”

“Okay!” Kurt exclaimed, walking back into his room, “I’m going to get Blaine, so you two go to Rachel’s and we’ll see you guys there.”

“Thanks again, Kurt,” I said following him down the stairs, with Finn behind me.

Kurt waved his hand dismissively, “Don’t mention it. I mean, unless someone complements you, then you can say it was me,” he said then turned around to smile.

I laughed, “Okay, we’ll be home later,” Kurt announced to his dad and Finns mom, who were sitting in the living room watching T.V.

“Okay guys, just don’t be stupid,” Burt said, acknowledging us.

“Oh, don’t worry,” Kurt said, waving his hand once again, “it’ll be fine.”

--

“What’s she wearing?” I asked Mercedes when I walked down the stairs to Rachel’s basement, then caught sight of her in this...green dress looking thing.

“I have no idea,” Mercedes mumbled to me. I laughed and put my cardigan, along with my clutch, on top of everyones coats.

Rachel and Puck were talking about the alcohol that was there, or lack thereof. She agreed to let him pick the locks on her dads’ liquor cabinet. And then I knew it was going to be interesting.

“Aright!” Puck yelled, making everyone in the room go quiet, we looked at him and saw him holding at least four bottles in his arms, “What do you guys want?”

Puck just started pouring drinks, and handing out the red plastic cups to everyone.

“Here’s hoping you like vodka, Ry,” he said handing me a cup.

I smelled it before I saw it, “Did you mix anything with the vodka?” I asked holding the cup at arm’s length.

He laughed, “Of course. Just drink it.”

I smiled and took a sip, I was sure he had mixed it with the smallest amount of orange juice, but I drank it. I looked around the room at everyone no one showed any affects of the drinking...yet. I knew if Puck was gonna be making the drinks, we would all be feeling it pretty soon. Rachel turned on some music, that I guess she thought we would dance to...it was Broadway. Kurt was mouthing along but Rachel was full on singing, red cup in hand while the rest of us looked at each other. Finn went over to her and talked to her quietly; Rachel nodded and changed the music. Brittany and Santana were the first ones to start dancing, followed by everyone else.

“You not gonna dance?” Finn asked sliding up to me.

I laughed, “Oh, no. I don’t dance.”

He smied, “Neither do I, but it’s a party. Let loose.”

I held up my cup, “I already am, can’t you tell?”

He nodded, “True enough.”

I really liked Finn. Like...really liked him. He was just such a sweet guy, we went to the Lima Bean to study for law Wednesday night, and he was just such a gentleman, opening doors, he bought my hot chocolate. He was just great company. And he was pretty good looking. Yeah, safe to say I had a crush. I thought he might have had a crush on me to, he was always singling me out to talk to, and the he looked at me sometimes...I was sure he liked me too.

Then again, I knew someone else that really liked him. Miss Rachel Berry. She was basically trashed on just her one cup of booze and was already going back to Puck for seconds.

“Newbie,” I said to Finn, nodding my head over at Rachel.

He snickered, “Yeah. You can tell, huh?”

“Mhmm. You two used to date, right?” I asked.

He nodded, “Yeah. We broke up just before Christmas. She found out I slept with Santana, before we started dating and lost it. Then she went ahead and made out with Puck before we officially broke up, that finished it for me.”

“I’m sorry. She still seems pretty into you, though,” I observed, as I watched Rachel watching Finn and I.

He shrugged, “I cared before, that she still liked me. I thought we’d get back together soon, then there was that thing with Quinn I told you about, which I still feel really bad about. But...I ready to move on, I think.”

I smiled up at him, “Well, if you need help moving on, you know my number,” I mentally smacked myself. Really, Ryley? Really? It’s okay, it was the alcohol talking. Kinda.

He smiled down at me, “I’ll take you up on that one,” he said quietly.

And I knew for sure he liked me too.

“Hey! Finn! How are you liking the party?” Rachel asked walking literally between Finn and me.

I glared at the back of Rachel’s head then looked at Finn, he looked at me apologetically. I nodded and let her talk to him.

By then, everyone (yes, including me) was feeling the alcohol.

“Hey, Kurt,” I said, standing beside him.

He smiled, “Hey. How are you feeling?”

I smiled and finished off the rest of my drink, “Pretty good. You?”

“Good. For being the sober kid,” he said as someone danced in front of us, “That’s Blaine,” Kurt said laughing slightly as the boy danced more all around us.

“Huh, hi,” I said awkwardly as he danced beside me, but I couldn’t help but laugh.

He looked at me with a big smile, “Hey, I’m Blaine!”

“Ryley!” I shouted back.

He continued smiling and danced beside me, “I know! Kurt’s told me about you! His brother has a crush on you!”

I looked at Kurt, confused but laughing none the less, “Wow, secrets, Blaine. Hear of them?”

Either Blaine didn’t hear him, or just didn’t care because a new song came on and he started singing...or shouting the lyrics and continued dancing.

Kurt looked distressed, “Don’t tell Finn big mouth let it slip, I was suppose to spend the day kinda singing Finn’s praises to you. As per Finn’s request.”

I smiled, “Don’t worry. You never needed to sing his praises to me, and you can tell him that. I need another drink.” I walked away before Kurt could answer.

“How was it?” Puck asked taking the cup from my hand.

I nodded, “And yours?” I asked.

He smiled and handed me a full cup, “It’s the only way I could survive a Rachel Berry house party.”

“Truth,” I said and held me cup up, which he tapped with his then we both drank.

“Hey, everyone! How about some spin the bottle!!!” Rachel screamed we were all silent; Puck and I looked at each other before we both smiled at the same time. Everyone started and cheering and yelling in agreement.

“Okay! Everyone sit in a circle here!” Rachel slurred and pointed to where she and Finn were standing. Finn was just standing there looking confused.

Everyone made their way over there and sat (or fell) down onto the floor.

“Tina! You first!” Rachel yelled, even though we were all able to hear her at a normal level.

Tina laughed and spun the bottle, then fell into Mikes side, the bottle landed on Artie and everyone ‘oh’d,’ I knew they had dated previously so I joined in. Tina didn’t look back at Mike as she crawled over to Artie where they kissed for a good fifteen seconds before Mike pulled on Tina’s arm, they broke apart and Tina went back to Mike who looked uncomfortable, but Tina and Artie didn’t look like they cared. As for Brittany, she cheered along with the rest of us.

It was Brittany next, she spun the bottle and it landed on Sam, I looked at Santana and giggled at her expression. Brit and Sam kissed for a few seconds, them Santana pulled him.

“No, no, no me gusta!” she said when she pulled him away from her.

“My turn!” Rachel yelled, she spun the bottle and stared at Finn, who was sitting beside me. I looked at him, but he was laughing talking to Artie.

The bottle ended up landing on Blaine; she pulled him close and kissed him. I thought it would only last a second, but...it was going. They broke apart and Rachel said, “I think I found a new duet partner!”

Everyone laughed, Rachel pulled Blaine up off the floor towards this stage she had in her basement. Which I found weird but whatever.

We disbanded the rest of the game; when you drink you get bored of thing pretty easily.

“Having fun?” I asked, stumbling over to Finn.

He chuckled, “Not as much fun as you are I bet.”

I laughed...I had been doing that a lot since my first drink, “Maybe. You’re pretty cool Finn. For not drinking and everything tonight. And in general.”

He smiled, “Well thanks. You’re pretty cool too, even when drunk.”

I smiled, and then heard Blaine start singing; we both looked at the stage at the same time. Blaine and Rachel were up there singing. I looked around the room at everyone. Tina was dancing, then she started crying. Santana was on top of Sam, Brit was sitting on Artie’s lap. Mercedes was sitting on the floor drinking and singing, Puck and Laruen were sitting and singing, and he was wearing Lauren’s glasses. Kurt was sitting on a stool watching Blaine. Quinn was just sitting quietly, she and Sam had broken up like, two days before the party, so I got why she was all moody.

“Ryley?”

I looked back up at Finn and smiled, “What?” I asked.

He smiled, “I said, I know I told you this earlier, but you look beautiful tonight.”

“Thank-you,” I smiled, then took another drink. I looked at the ground quickly. I knew I was drunk, and I knew I would regret everything in the morning, but I had some liquid courage in me.

“Hey, wanna go outside for some fresh air?” I asked putting my cup on a small table before taking Finn’s hand and pulling him towards the stairs before he could answer.

It was like everyone was in the fourth grade or something, everyone was oh’ing and catcalling. Out of everyone I could hear Artie, “Hells yeah, Finn!”

I laughed and kept pulling Finn behind me, I had no idea where everything was in her house, but I figured the big glass sliding doors in the kitchen would lead to the backyard, and I was right.

“It was hot down there,” I said leaning against the back of the house.

It wasn’t so much cold out, it was mild. Bearable.

“Yeah,” he agreed, “too much going on, I think.”

He leaned against the back of the house too and looked up at the sky a few feet from me; I took it upon myself and closed the distance between us, so our arms were touching.

“I heard a rumour about you,” I heard myself slurring.

He chuckled, again, “What was that?”

“That you have a crush on me,” I whispered.

He snapped his head down to me, “Who told you that?”

I shrugged, “Does it really matter? The better question is, is it true?” I asked moving to stand in front of him.

He laughed nervously, and rubbed the back of his neck, “I huh, really like you Ry. But do you really think this is the best time to talk about this?”

“Why?” I asked taking his hand in mine.

I could tell he was becoming really nervous and shy, “You’ve had some stuff to drink,” he mumbled.

Again, I shrugged, and pressed my body right against his and put his hands on my lower back. The teeny, tiny part of my brain that was still regular, sober Ryley told me to back the hell up and go back downstairs.

But the really drunk part of Ryley said, fuck it. And I kissed him. I put my arms around his neck and pulled him closer, as close as I could. He was resistant at first. But that changed after a second, he tightened his grip on me. And we stayed like that for a few more seconds; it was getting heated with every passing second. It wasn’t until I bit his bottom lip that he separated us.

“Ry, not right now,” he whispered.

“Why? It’s just kissing,” I said trying to bring is face back down to mine.

He pulled my hands from the back of his neck, “Ryley, you’ve been drinking. I don’t know if this is how you actually feel or if it’s the booze or what. We have to stop.”

I drop my arms and backed up from him, feeling stupid and really embarrassed, “Fine, I’m sorry.”

I heard him sigh, “Ry!” he called when I was opening the door.

“What?” I replied, feeling more sober with every passing moment.

“I really do like you, I just didn’t want it to start like this,” he said with a solemn look on his face.

I shrugged, “Whatever. And hey, for the record, I really like you too.”

I walked back into the house and closed the sliding door behind me, and quickly went back downstairs; no one even noticed I was back.

Puck was mixing another drink for himself; I tapped him on his shoulder, “Hey!! You’re back! He’s that fast, huh?” he asked with a smirk.

I rolled my eyes, “Make me another, if you don’t mind,” I said nodding to the bottles on the table.

He obliged, adding orange juice and vodka to the red plastic cup and handing it back to me, “Toast?” he asked, holding his cup up.

I nodded, tapping the rim of my cup to his, “Yeah, here’s to being sixteen, and living my life,” I said before taking a sip.

He nodded and drank too, before walking back over to Lauren. I made my way over to Kurt who looked glum.

“What’s up?” I asked.

He sighed and looked at me, “Nothing, Rachel is making Blaine sing another duet.”

I looked over at the stage and saw Rachel trying to get Blaine to pick a song, but he was too busy dancing to the music coming from someone’s laptop.

“What did you and Finn go upstairs and do?” Kurt asked, suddenly perking up.

I laughed hollowly as I saw Finn walk down the stairs glumly then walking over to an empty seat, “Nothing,” I said before chugging the rest of my drink.
♠ ♠ ♠
Another update!

Thank-you everyone for reading and subscribing to the story, it means a lot! :)

Comments are really appreciated!! I hope you guys like it!