Hobo & Daddy

the dog days are over.

Daddy calls him Brendon. I guess Brendon's my stepdad or something. He should go ahead and move in with how much he's over here. He spends the night all the time and he leaves his clothes all over the place, but never in the dresser. But that's okay. Daddy never leaves his tee shirts out for me to chew on anymore, so it's nice when Brendon does.

Daddy's been sad lately and I think it's because Brendon isn't coming over as much. I don't know why. He's always over here. Mommy came last week though, just for a couple days. She turned the lights back on with a pen. She laughed at Daddy and they played the game that him and Brendon play where I have to wait in the hallway. I like Mommy, but I like Brendon more. Mommy doesn't leave things around for me to chew on.

Daddy's sad though, like I said. He smells a certain way when he is. He always smells like the green stuff, but he smells like it more now and he doesn't smell like water at all. And he doesn't clean himself with his mouth so it's not a good smell. His eyes are sad, like Mommy's when she leaves. Daddy should miss Mommy, but he doesn't. The thing he talks on makes a certain noise when Mommy wants to talk to him on it and he won't talk when it makes the noise so he doesn't miss her. It hasn't made Brendon's noise in a while.

I'm pretty sure Daddy misses Brendon. I don't know why Brendon doesn't miss Daddy. It's not like Brendon can smell him so as far as he knows, Daddy smells really good.

Image


Daddy left today. He was gone for a while and I had to go to the bathroom, but it's his fault. He didn't let me out before he went. Before he left he cleaned himself and even though he still smelled like the green stuff, he smelled a lot better. He told me to be a good girl and then he left. When he came back he smelled like Brendon and his eyes looked happier. When I ran around his ankles he picked me up and gave me a kiss. I like it when Daddy's happy.

"Who's a pretty girl? Hobo is. Yes, you are. Yes, you are."

He didn't even get mad when he found out about my accident. But Daddy usually doesn't get mad. Mommy does, but she doesn't yell. She just shakes her finger and says no over and over and over. But if she and Daddy didn't play the game all the time, then they could let me out. At least Brendon and Daddy only play it sometimes.

Daddy orders the food in boxes for dinner and gives me some chicken if I sit. The doorbell rings and I go to bark at it because if it's a bad person I want them to go away and not come in. And if it's a good person I want to say hello first.

It's Brendon. He kisses Daddy when he comes in and I jump up on his leg so he'll pet me after they're done. And he does. He scratches behind my ears, too. Brendon's a good stepdad. His shirt smells good. I want to chew on it.

"So did you call Keltie yet?"

Keltie is my mommy's name.

"Not yet. She has a dance thing tonight. I'm going to call her tomorrow."

"You always say that."

"Well, it's not like she's going to answer the phone when she's at practice anyway."


They're getting ready to fight and I don't like it. Brendon's not supposed to yell at Daddy and Daddy's not supposed to do mean things that make Brendon sad. Brendon looks sad. I don't want them to fight so I start to whine and then I bite at Daddy's pants and start to pull on them.

"Hobo, stop it."

Brendon does that sigh thing that means he doesn't know what to do and then he just sits down on the floor and whistles. I can't resist a whistle. "Here, girl." He pulls me into his lap and starts to rub at my tummy. No wonder Daddy loves him so much. "I'll give you a week." he says to Daddy. "Now let's stop fighting."

Brendon's so smart. He knows fighting is bad. I lick his hand to show him he's smart and he laughs.

"I love you, Bren."

Brendon puts me down and stands up. He and Daddy kiss and then they leave to go play the game.

Image


Daddy's sad again. Mommy talked to him on the bone thing. But it's not a bone. It just sounds like bone. She talked to him on it and then they fought. Brendon came over later and then him and Daddy fought. I tried to bark, but it didn't matter. Daddy just put me outside and told me I could come back in when I was good. I'm too little to put them outside when they're bad. I wasn't being bad! Fighting is bad.

Brendon slammed the door really hard when he left and Daddy forgot I was outside until I started to scratch on the door. His eyes were red and sad and he smelled like the brown water that makes him walk funny when he drinks too much. He sat down on the floor with me and petted the top of my head.

"It's not my fault. I don't want to hurt her. You love me, don't you, girl?"

I barked. I love my Daddy very much but right now he's doing something wrong and I don't know what it is. It has to do with Brendon and Mommy, but I don't know.

I lick Daddy's face because it tastes like salt when his eyes are red. I wish Daddy were smarter about things like some humans are. He's a good Daddy, but he doesn't know all the things he should.

Like sometimes he does things that make Brendon sad. He doesn't answer the bone thing when it makes noises and he talks about Mommy too loud. Talking about Mommy makes Brendon sad. I don't think he likes it when she comes over. I love my Mommy, but Daddy shouldn't talk about her if it makes Brendon sad.

I wish they could understand me. I could tell them and we'd fix everything.

Daddy's eyes are making water again and I lick at it so it doesn't get his shirt wet. (The water's really salty, so it tastes good too, but I don't like it 'cause it means Daddy's sad.)

Daddy falls asleep on the floor, so I go get the blanket from my bed and pull it over with my teeth in case he gets cold. I know Daddy messes up, but Brendon loves him so maybe he should be nicer, too.

Image


Brendon came over today while Daddy was gone. So I barked at him. He doesn't come over when Daddy's gone unless Daddy goes on a trip and he's taking care of me. And he usually just spends the night when that happens. Brendon told me to be quiet and then went in Daddy's room. I followed him. He was going through the dresser and then he went through the closet. I don't know what he was looking for. He got back the shirt I stole.

Daddy came back before Brendon found whatever he was looking for. Daddy had a bottle wrapped in brown paper and he smelled like the green stuff again. He looked at Brendon and Brendon looked mad. "What are you doing here?"

"I heard you bought a necklace."


Daddy put the bottle down and I went and rubbed against his ankle so he'd know I love him. "I did."

Brendon was angry. He started yelling and usually he doesn't do that. He yells sometimes, but he doesn't just start yelling. Daddy usually has to yell first. "So, what are you going to do? Marry her? You're gay, Ryan! Are you going to lie to her like that? What about when she wants kids? You inconsiderate, piece of . . ."

Brendon started walking toward Daddy and he was holding his hands out like he was angry. I didn't like it so I started barking at him and bit his jeans. He was being mean. He tried to push me away with his foot, but I didn't let go until Daddy picked me up and started scratching my head. I glared at Brendon.

"It's not for Keltie."

I don't know what a necklace is, but if it's fun and it's not for Mommy, then I want it. Daddy hasn't bought me new toys in a while 'cause he's too busy being sad about Brendon.

Brendon still looked angry. "Who's it for then?"

Daddy started scratching behind my ears and I knew he didn't want to tell Brendon who it was for. I didn't know why though. If it was for me Brendon wouldn't have gotten mad. Brendon likes some of my toys, but he always gives them back. "It's not important right now, okay? It's not Keltie's. I called her today. It's over."

Did Daddy just tell Mommy to not come back anymore? I started to whine a little and squirm. I like Brendon more than Mommy, but I didn't even get to say good-bye to her. Daddy put me down and I ran and hid under the bed. I don't think he noticed because I could hear him and Brendon kissing. Brendon's not mad anymore, but I am. And Brendon wouldn't pee on things if he were mad.

Image


A necklace is a square on a string. It doesn't look like a fun toy, but it might be fun to chew on. If Brendon ever takes it off, I'll try that. It'll be fun to do since I can't pee on anything anymore. I tried. I peed on everything, but Daddy actually got mad and he started putting my nose in it so I stopped. Pee on your nose isn't fun. You smell it for hours.

I don't think Mommy's coming home. She hasn't called the bone thing since Daddy stopped being sad. But Brendon's here more and I have lots more shirts to chew on. I guess it'll all be okay. If Daddy's happy, I can learn to be happy, too.

Image