Look Alive Sunshine.

White Tunnels and Glass.

Grace didn’t know where she was. After the Bald Man had dragged her to his car, one of the men in the masks had put a smelly rag over her face and she’d fallen asleep. When she had woken up, the sun had gone down and she was lying in a small bedroom that she’d never seen before. She was still wearing her clothes, although her hat had disappeared from her head. The bed was small and low to the ground. It had obviously been made for a child. The only other furniture was a small desk sitting underneath a window and a full length mirror propped against the opposite wall. The decorations were plain. The walls were light yellow, the desk was brown and even the drapes covering up the window were an ugly grey color. The only sign of any personal effects was a small painting beside the window of the Corporation’s logo, a happy face.

Climbing out of bed, Grace stretched up onto her tip toes so that she was eye to eye with the painting. Pushing her face against it, she could see, far inside, a little red light flashing over and over. They were watching her. Settling back onto her flat feet, she looked around for something she could use to block the painting. She tried the blanket but it was too heavy and large to stay up, sliding into a heap on the floor. Instead, she climbed up onto the desk and, yanking with all her strength, managed to tear the thin curtains off their rods and onto her lap. But as soon as she saw what was outside her window, she completely forgot about hiding herself from the men who were watching.

The world was, for the first time, beautiful. There was no more harsh sun beating down on the dry atmosphere, no more stunted trees that looked like pained corpses. Everything was smooth, like water flowing over the edge of a cliff and the moon was reflected off of every surface. She was high up off the ground and she could see more tall buildings across from her, stretching up into the sky. She pressed her face against the cool glass, covering her skin with condensation.

What on Earth was this place, and why was it so different than the desert?

Behind her, there was a rap on the door and she barely had time to turn around before a small man wearing the uniform of the Draculoids strolled in. He wasn't, however, wearing a mask and his face was actually quite pleasant. He was wearing round rimmed glasses that glinted and he smiled widely, showing off impeccable teeth.

Nonetheless, Grace didn't trust him one bit. He might have looked and smelled cleaner than the Killjoys but this man was one of the bad guys. He, for some reason, wanted to hurt her. But she had no weapons. The curtain rods themselves were bolted securely to the wall and they had taken her shoes.

"Hello Grace," he said, smile growing wider. "How are you feeling?" She didn't say a word and he merely nodded, looking at the rumpled room. He pulled a small notebook and pencil from the inside of his coat and scribbled a note on it, mumbling underneath his breath. When he replaced it, he smiled at her again, holding his hands together behind his back. She stared back at him, noticing that his small, round nose reminded her of a tomato.

"Why did you tear apart the room Grace?" he asked, gesturing towards the bed. "It looked so nice. Why would you wreck it?"

"Why am I here?" Grace asked, backing closer to the window. She bundled the curtains up into her lap, ready to attack if needed. It was obvious that this man hadn't been an actual Draculoid for quite some time. His stomach bulged against his shirt and there was more than one chin hanging from his face. If she ran, she had a feeling that he wouldn't be able to catch her. It was the other men she had to worry about. They could catch her and she didn't want that to happen.

"We saved you from the bad men, Grace," he said, stepping towards her. "We brought you to the safe place so that they couldn't hurt you anymore."

"They're not bad men," she said, pressing her back against the cool glass of the window. "They took good care of me."

"They are bad, Grace," he insisted. "They are very bad." She didn't like his voice. At first, it had seemed fine, much better than the growl of the Bad Man, but this was worse. It felt like she was being talked to by an evil snake, trying to get her to do something bad. And why was he saying her name so much? He shook his head, smile not leaving his face, before offering her his hand. She stared at it.

"Will you come with me?" he asked, holding his hand closer to her. "I won't hurt you. I just want to show you the city." She continued to stare at it. His skin was very smooth, almost pink. His fingernails were perfectly clipped and dirt free, unlike her own. There was still something odd about the entire situation but she reluctantly took hold of his hand, letting him gently pull her off the desk. He led her to the door and she came up with an idea. When the door opened, she would bite him. She would sink her teeth into that smooth, pink skin until blood welled up. He would scream and let go of her hand as he reacted. Then, as soon as he let go, she would run before he got the chance to grab her.

As soon as she stepped out the door, she bared her teeth and then froze. Standing opposite the door, leaning against a smooth white wall, were two bad men she'd never seen before. They were wearing a thick white jumpsuit that even covered up their face. Instead of eyes and a nose and a mouth, she found herself looking at the same smilie face that had been watching her in the bedroom. Both of them were holding guns far larger than the ones the Killjoys had carried.

"Don't mind them," the man said, squeezing her hand a little too hard. "They're just here to protect us." Smiling down at her, he began to lead her down the hallway. The walls were smooth and white and there were no shadows at all in which she could have hid in. Other than the doors, which were also white and set back from the walls, there were no other places she could have hid. The hall just kept going straight. However, there was one thing that was interesting to her and that was the posters that covered each wall. They were the same posters that the Killjoys had found on the wall of the garage out in the desert; their old faces with large red X's through them. The order was the same as they walked down the hallway; Jet Star, Kobra Kid, Party Poison, Fun Ghoul, then it would repeat. There were no other decorations. Just the posters.

The hallway began to slope downhill but it continued to go straight for another five minutes. Behind her, Grace could hear the different bad men marching in exact time with their steps. There was no way she could escape now. They'd shoot her. The walls of the passage abruptly changed to glass on both sides and it was here that the Other Doctor stopped, taking his hand from hers, only to lay it on her shoulder. His fingers dug in, clutching her shirt.

"Isn't that pretty?" he asked. She had to admit that the view was outstanding. There was a long, rectangular building adjacent to them, with two spires on top, both of which were painted with the Corporation's logo. The horizon was turning orange as the sun came up and she could only imagine how the city would look like with sunlight being reflected. Although they weren't as high in the air as she'd thought, it was still a scary distance. She pressed herself against the glass and looked down. Below her, there were more tunnels of glass, criss crossing each other. On the ground, she could see towering trees that were covered in green leaves. Within, she could see the shadows of people moving around but no details.

Somewhere out there, in the glorious shining jungle, were the Killjoys. She knew that they would come to rescue her but she didn't know how they would find her. She just had to hope.

"Let's keep moving," the man said, gently pulling her away from the glass. Even as they continued to walk down the hallway, she continued to look outside, taking in every detail.

"Come find me," she whispered before the view was cut off by more white walls.