Eleanor Rigby

Father McKenzie

Father McKenzie, later that evening, knitted his socks. The radio was on but he wasn't listening. He had it on only for the illusion of company it provided. He was as lonely as Eleanor Rigby. No family, no friends... All he could do when he wasn't at the church was shop and darn his socks. This was the twentieth pair of socks he made, simply for something to do.

He was a lonely person, and he didn't care.

His cycle was interrupted when he heard a little tap on his door.

Tap tap tap.

Tap tap tap.

Tap tap tap.


Father McKenzie put down his knitting and went to the door. No one was there but a note was on the ground.

Forgive me Father for I will commit the sin of suicide. Eleanor Rigby.

Gasping, Father McKenzie ran out to the church to pray for Eleanor's soul. But when he got there he saw the dead body of Eleanor Rigby, dead by severe self-mutilation, who was holding a note announcing the death of Billy.

**********


Father McKenzie had paid the grave digger himself. He also preformed the funeral of Eleanor Rigby himself. He thought the girl deserved a funeral; after all, she was the closest thing he had for a friend in this mortal world.

He wiped the dirt from his hand when he walked away from the grave, having preformed the funeral of Eleanor Rigby. He hoped she would rejoin her beloved Billy but death is such an unfathomable thing no one would know if both his and Eleanor's lonely souls would be happy upon their afterlife.