The Art Of Loving

Chapter One

Ville clicked his pen for the hundredth time. His teacher was glaring at him over her book, a romance novel by the look of it, but he clicked away still. He was slightly tempted to glare back, but he was too busy searching the room for inspiration.

He needed something to draw. He’d been waiting all week for something to catch his eye, and so far- nothing. He hadn’t deemed anything worthy of his talent.

As if having to live in this fucking country wasn’t bad enough…

“Mr. Valo,” his teacher started, “Will you please stop clicking your pen like that? You are disturbing the other students.” She spoke slowly and directly. Ville snickered internally; he still had her believing he could barely speak English. In truth, he was fluent in English. He’d been at the top of his class for the language back in Finland.

But when she first spoke to him like he was a small child who couldn’t quite understand her words, he chose to play along.

“I am very sorry,” he replied with a fake smile and intentionally thick accent. “I did not know.”

She covered her grimace with an equally fake cheery expression and he continued to glance around the room, ignoring her obvious annoyance. The assignment he was meant to be working on was lying unmarked below his blank sheet of paper.

Maybe… one of the other students? That might be interesting…

His eyes flicked from person to person, studying each one. They finally rested on one boy two rows away from his own desk. He held in a gasp as he observed the boy’s features.

He’s… beautiful…

Perfect.


His pen met the paper and he began to draw.

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

Ville slipped the drawing into his sketchbook and shoved it and his untouched homework into his side bag as the bell rang. The bag was completely black other than a silver symbol he’d painted on there himself- a mixture of an upside-down pentagram and a heart. He went to his locker to rid himself of his English book before heading off to his next class- Science.

He took his seat and placed his book on his desk resting his arms and head on it. This was the class he normally slept in, only to be awakened an hour later by the last bell of the day. He watched his peers file into the room with little attention. The bell rang out just as the last four students entered the room, led by none other than that beautiful boy.

Two of my classes… how did I never notice him before?

He pulled out a fresh piece of paper and pen and as the instructor started the class, the second drawing began.