The Art Of Loving

Chapter Fourteen

“Ville!”

Ville winced and pulled his phone away from his ear as his boyfriend shrieked into his ear. “Bammie? Where are you?”

“I’m at my house. You need to come here now.”

“What’s going on, Bam-Bam?”

“I need your help. No one else is here.”

“We’re gonna be late for school…”

“I don’t fucking care, just get your ass over here and save me!”

With that the line went dead, and Ville blinked before closing his phone.

“What is it?” Ryan asked, looking confused. The rest of the group had been discussing a new girl at school while Ville waited for Bam to arrive.

“I’m going to Bam’s, I guess.”

“What’s up?”

“No idea.”

The Finn simply turned and walked away from Bam’s little gang without another word. As soon as he was off campus, he began to sprint towards Bam’s home. He finally reached the door and rang the bell.

No answer. He rang it again. No answer. His phone rang, and he answered.

“Hello?”

“Just come in.”

He reached for the doorknob and tried to turn it.

“It’s locked,” he informed the skater, who groaned.

“I think there’s a key in the plant pot.”

Ville searched the pot and found a small silver key. “Got it. Wanna tell me what’s going on?”

“Just hurry.” He heard a click and inserted the key into the door. He entered the house and glanced around the entryway. All seemed still in the house.

“Bam?” he called out.

“Kitchen!”

He followed the voice to the quaint kitchen and found Bam sitting on the counter, his legs pulled up to his chest.

“What’re you-”

“Don’t take another step,” Bam commanded in a scarily serious tone. Ville stopped.

“Bammie, what is going on?”

“Snake.” Bam pointed and Ville’s gaze was directed to a small snake curled into a ring shape on the ground. It wasn’t moving. He blinked.

“Is it… dead?”

“I don’t know, but I’m sure as hell not gonna get down to find out.”

“Well, what do you want me to do?”

“Help me get out of here.”

“You can’t jump down on your own?”

Bam shook his head and Ville frowned. “Why not?”

“I can’t move.”

“What are you talking about?”

“Too scared.” Ville noticed the tears in his eyes and took a step toward Bam, who whimpered. “I hate snakes, Ville, I hate them more than anything in the whole world.”

“Oh Bammie…” He walked over and wrapped his arms around Bam, who was reminding him of a small child. “It’s okay, baby, I’ll protect you from the snake.” He looked over at the reptile, which still hadn’t moved.

“I think it might be dead, sweetheart. How long have you been up here?”

“Ever since I saw it. Maybe half an hour ago? I couldn’t think of what to do, so I finally just called you. Everyone left for school and work already, I’m home alone.”

“Well come on, kulta, let’s get you down from there.” Ville took his hands and tugged, but Bam pulled them back.

“No! What if it’s not dead? What if I get down and it slithers over here and…” The skater shuddered and hugged his knees.

Ville bit his lip, formulating a plan. He glanced around the room for something to use and spotted a broom in the corner. He grabbed it and extended it towards the snake. It slid the scaly ring a few inches across the floor, but the snake didn’t react.

“It’s dead, baby. You’re safe.”

Bam nodded and dropped from the counter, scuttling out of the kitchen and up the stairs. Ville followed, finding his boyfriend trembling on the top step. He wrapped his arms around the skater, who started to cry.

“I hate them,” he said again. “I hate them so much.”

Ville just held him and shushed him quietly, rocking slightly as Bam released his frightened tears. Finally he stopped and hugged Ville tight as they rocked together.

“Kulta?”

“Hmm?” Ville was stroking his finger’s through Bam’s brown hair.

“You called me kulta. What is that?”

“It’s Finnish for darling.”

“Oh,” Bam replied. He was quiet for a while. “I like it. It’s nice.” Ville smiled and said nothing. “I don’t want to go to school today.”

“Okay.”

“Will you stay home with me?”

“Of course, Bammie.” They broke apart and Bam took his hand, pulling him to his bedroom. Ville smiled as Bam snuggled into his sheets, then climbed into bed with him.

“Thanks for saving me.”

“You’re welcome. I’m sorry the big mean snake scared you.” He tried to hold back a smile but failed. Bam pouted.

“Don’t make fun of me… You won’t tell the guys about this, will you?”

“No, baby. I won’t tell them. And I wasn’t making fun. It’s cute, really.” He twirled a lock of Bam’s hair around his finger and Bam yawned. “You need a nap, baby?”

Bam nodded and cuddled, making Ville smile. “We can play video games after. We have a Playstation two downstairs.”

“I’ve never played.”

Bam looked at Ville in shock. “You’ve never played Playstation two?” Ville shook his head and Bam grinned.

“What?”

“I’m gonna kick your ass.”