The Art Of Loving

Chapter Seven

“Do… you really watch me through the window?”

Ville blushed a deep crimson, though Bam couldn’t see him in the darkness. The two boys were lying opposite each other in Bam’s bed, chatting quietly as they came closer to sleep. They were about two feet apart, and having had no physical contact all night, everything had remained rather innocent.

At least it’s something…

“Ville?”

“Uh… y-yeah…”

... That’s so creepy.

“Don’t you have anything… I dunno… better to do with your time?”

“Is there anything else worth doing in this town?” Ville scoffed.

“So you’re obsessed with me ‘cause there’s nothing else to do?” Bam asked in mock offense.

Ville giggled slightly. “No, I noticed you because there’s nothing else to do. I fell in love with you because… Well, how could anyone not love you?”

It was Bam’s turn to blush now. “Why do you think I’m so perfect?”

“You’re sweet… You’re funny… You’re confident and a born leader… You do what you want and you’re good at it… You’re pretty smart, I think… And I think it would make you too uncomfortable if I went into detail about why your body appeals to me so much, so I’ll just stop there. But… What else could anyone ever want?”

How is it that he manages to make something so creepy and disturbing seem so sweet?

He’s quiet… Did I say something wrong?

“I… I think we should get some sleep,” a very confused Bam suggested.

Ville nodded in agreement, biting his lip.

I wish I knew what he was thinking…

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

“Wake up, sleepyhead!”

The Finn groaned and buried his head under his pillow.

“Come on, Ville! Get up!”

Ville cautiously emerged from his fluffy shelter. “What’re you so excited about?” he mumbled.

“I’m starving. We should go to breakfast.” Bam was wearing the bright, infectious smile that Ville loved.

I’m tired… but this still has to be the best wake-up I’ve ever gotten.

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

“Ooh an omelet with hash browns sounds so good… And if you get anything with pancakes, I’m stealing some.”

Ville was still rubbing the sleep out of his eyes. “I don’t think I have enough money to really get anything…”

“Don’t worry about it. I’ll pay. You can consider it a first date.” Bam grinned, seeming to be in a very good mood.

“Are you always like this?”

“Like what?”

“So…” Ville cocked his head, searching for the right word. “Peppy,” he finished finally.

“No… Guess I’m just feeling good today.”

Why am I so happy today?

Could it be… because I’m with Ville? My first boyfriend who worships me in a strangely adorable way?


Bam reached over under the table, gently taking Ville’s hand into his own. The green-eyed boy stared at the table as though he could see the hands through it, and then looked back up at Bam, their eyes connecting.

“Yo! Bam!”

The other three members of Bam’s gang strutted up to him, led by Dico. “With the foreign kid…”

Bam scowled when Dico used the unfriendly nickname and released Ville’s hand before any of them could notice. Ville's heart sank slightly.

He's ashamed of me...

“What’re you guys doing here?”

“Lookin’ for you,” Raab explained. “Ape told us you’d be here.”

“She didn’t tell us you were busy, though,” Ryan added, staring emotionlessly at Ville.

“Well, I am, so is there something you needed?”

My mood is steadily worsening because my friends are here…

When exactly did my world get turned upside down?


“Yeah, you wanna buy me breakfast?” Dico took the seat next to him, looking over at the restaurant menu.

“No, actually, I don’t,” Bam responded coldly, causing Dico to back off, clearly offended. All three of his friends were fixing him with confused and disturbed looks.

“I guess we’ll leave then…”

“We didn’t know we were imposing on your little date,” Ryan snapped.

“Well, you do now.”

“Wait,” Raab started, his face contorting with confusion, “Are you two actually…”

Ville had been staring at his lap, his hair hiding his face. He took a deep breath and closed his eyes.

This can’t possibly end well…