Status: Complete

Honey, Where's My Arm?

Tattoo

We ate breakfast and then helped Butterfly clean up the kitchen and fold the couch bed back together until later that evening. "If any of you need me I'm going to be upstairs. A girl has to stay fit, ya know!" I watched as she walked upstairs to her bedroom.

"You like her, don't you?" Dale asked me.

"That's none of your business."

He didn't say anything. Of course I liked her. The problem was that I felt something for her that I had never felt before. It was unusual that I would like someone who's name I didn't even know, none the less, know anything about. Perhaps it was the mystery about her that made me like this. After about thirty minutes of listening to the mindless chatter of my companions I decided to use the excuse of having to go to the bathroom to go talk to her.

I walked up the stairs and seen that her bedroom door was open. I stopped in the doorway, her back was to me and she had changed clothes. She was wearing a pair of red shorts and a black sports bra. Her hair was tied up and she was covered in sweat. I noticed a tattoo on her right side right above her hip. It was of a pink and purple butterfly with it's wings closed, and underneath were words written in cursive. I squinted my eyes to try and figure out what they were. I could just barely make out the word "Emily" but couldn't tell what the second word was. Underneath was "April 24," but I couldn't see what was after that either.

I stepped away from the door so that she wouldn't see me if she turned around and walked down to the bathroom. Emily, I thought to myself while I stood in front of the sink staring at the mirror. Is that her name? Why would she get her own name tattooed to herself? And was that 'Emily's' birthday underneath? Every time I turned around I had more questions about Butterfly than I did answers. Finally I turned the water on and splashed some onto my face before going back down stairs.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

I watched Daryl walk down the hall to the bathroom. He had been spying on me...again. Although I'm not sure the night before had really counted as spying. The door shut and I stepped back inside my room. Why was he so curious about me? Why did he insist on knowing more than what I was willing to tell him?

I walked over to my dresser and opened the photo album that was sitting there. On the very first page was a picture of Emily and me on the carousel at the zoo. We were sitting on a cheetah and smiling at the camera my cousin had been holding. It was Emily's very first trip to the zoo, and her favorite had been the otters. She clapped and cheered every time they swam past her. I flipped through the pages. Emily's first Hanukkah, her first birthday, the trip to Sea World.

A tear managed to escape and I quickly wiped it away before closing the album. I heard the bathroom door shut again and Daryl's footsteps as he walked down the stairs. I grabbed the clothes I had been wearing earlier and went to take a shower.