Mischief Managed

011.

October 30, a Friday, came around quickly. The greatest thing about this date? The students from Durmstrang and Beauxbatons were arriving later today at six o'clock, and our last lesson was cut a half hour, which meant less potions class.

On the other hand, Fred and I were not officially a couple yet. We decided to slowly ease into it, for the sake of our friends. Every once in a while, we'd hold hands or I'd kiss him on the cheek, or he'd subtly put his arm around me while we sat together.

"Ronald, are you ready to go to Care of Magical Creatures with Harry and me?" I asked, as I walked downstairs from my dormitory, about fifteen minutes before class started.

"Yeah," Ronald said as he got up. We met Harry, who was sitting by the fire, and the three of us went.

~

Once classes were over, I walked with Ginny and Hermione hurriedly to put our books away, change, and come back to the front of the castle to greet the guests and then have a welcoming feast afterwards.

"I'm excited," Hermione said, smiling.

"I'm excited for any cute Durmstrang boys," Ginny giggled.

"Me too," I laughed and winked.

"You have someone already," Hermione said, giving me one of those playful looks.

"Yeah, well, technically, I don't have anyone. I just like someone who likes me back," I said simply.

"Yes, but, you guys act like a couple. You might as well be one," Ginny said.

"Well, hey, that doesn't mean I can't check out some cute guys. I just can't do anything with them," I said.

"Good girl," Hermione laughed.

"Really, though, Ella. Fred's liked you for years and he'll do anything for you. Seriously, don't let him slip away," Ginny said, getting serious.

"I don't plan on it," I said, with a stupid grin on my face.

"Silly girl, let's get changed," Ginny laughed.

I hurried up and got into the shower. Then, I put my long hair back into a bun while I got changed, did my makeup nicely, then turned my curling iron on. While I waited on my iron to heat up, I sat on the bed and watched Hermione straighten her hair with just the flick of her wand.

"My hair always looks better when I do it the old-fashioned way," I said, laughing.

"You just have to get the spell down," she said, shaking her head.

Ginny quickly came out of the bathroom with a cute outfit on. She smiled at me and then went over to the mirror and began pinning her hair back nicely, so it all went straight into a side pony tail.

Suddenly, my curling iron went off and I got up and curled my hair, letting my bangs flow freely in front of my face.

Once Hermione had her hair and makeup done, she hurried and changed. Finally, we were all finished and it was time to go down in front of the castle to welcome our guests with a smile.

"This is so exciting! We're going to meet so many new people," Hermione smiled.

"I know, right? I'm excited for the feast," I laughed.

"You would," Ginny said, shaking her head.

Once we got to the front of the castle, Harry and Ronald were already there, in nice jeans and shirts. Fred and George were slowly making their way towards us, just as everyone began to get quiet.

"Are they here?" Ginny asked, standing on her tip-toes to look for the students.

"I don't think so," Hermione said.

Suddenly, the noise started up again.

"False alarm?" George said, as he and Fred approached.

"Seems like it," Ronald laughed.

"So Fred, George, you two got any ideas on the Triwizard Tournament yet? Thought anymore about trying to enter?" Harry asked.

"I asked McGonagall how the champions are chosen, but she wasn't telling. She just told me to shut up and get on with transfiguring my raccoon," George said bitterly.

"Wonder what the tasks are going to be?" Ronald said. "You know, Harry, I bet we could do them. And you too, Ella! We've all done dangerous stuff before."

"Not in front of a panel of judges you haven't," Fred said. "Besides, even if you guys did enter, I wouldn't let Ella enter."

"Why not?" I asked, hands on hips.

"Because, people have died. I wouldn't want you to risk your life like that, just for money," Fred said.

"And you can?"

"Well, I mean, yeah. But that's different," Fred said.

"Well, if I could, I'd enter. And I wouldn't let anyone stop me," I said, smiling. It was really sweet how much he cared, though.

"How d'you reckon they're coming? Train?" Ronald asked, changing the subject.

"I doubt it..." Hermione said.

"Broomsticks?" Harry suggested.

"Not from that far away, surely..." I said, looking up in the sky.

"Portkey perhaps? Or they could Apparate," Ronald said.

"You can't Apparate inside the Hogwarts grounds," Hermione said.

Suddenly, Dumbledore's massive voice sounded. "Aha! Unless I am very much mistaken, the delegation from Beauxbatons approaches!"

We all began to look around, and suddenly, a gigantic black shape landed in front of the castle. A large woman, followed by teenage girls - beautiful ones at that - that looked around my age, if not older.

Then, something big emerged out of the lake - a ship.

"Woah..." Ronald, Harry, Fred, and George all said in unison.

"Look at them..." Ginny said, as her, Hermione, and I all started giggling. I caught Fred's eye as he gave me a mysterious look. I just winked and looked away.

"H-Harry! H-H-Harry!" Ronald stuttered.

"What?"

"Harry - it's Krum!" Ronald said.

"Big whoop, let's go inside and eat," I said, as I lead the way back into the castle.

Once we got inside, we quickly rushed over to the Gryffindor table to make sure we got a good spot. The food was already there waiting for us. I smiled and dug in.

"So, are they just sitting with whoever?" Ronald said, searching for Krum.

"I assume so," I shrugged.

Suddenly, three guys - very muscle-built, cute guys - walked to our table.

"Mind iv we sit here?" one of them said.

"Oh, of course. Go ahead," Ginny smiled.

The three of them sat down in between Ginny and I. Fred, who was on the other side of me, scooted closer to me. I smiled at him.

"Hello," the one closet to Ginny said to her. She blushed and waved shyly. I laughed, just as the one beside me looked at me.

"You look beautivul," he said to me.

"Thanks," I said, smiling. Then, Fred wrapped his arm tightly around me.

"Iz this your boyfriend?" he asked curiously.

"Pretty much," Fred said, before I had a chance to say anything.

"Well, you are a very lucky guy," he said, then quickly turned his attention elsewhere.

"I know," he said bitterly.

"Fred, chill," I said, laughing.

"I don't want to chill! I don't like it when some foreign dude is hitting on you," Fred said.

"He's not foreign. Just calm down," I said, trying not to laugh at his insane jealousy.

"Switch me seats."

"What?"

"Switch me seats. I'd rather you sit by Ron than by him," Fred said, getting up. I sighed and scooted over, just as he sat down on the opposite side of me. The guy from Durmstrang tapped his friend on the shoulder and whispered something. He looked over at us, then the two of them quickly got up, pulling the other one away who was chatting with Ginny.

"What got into them?" Ginny asked.

"Fred."

"Fred, what did you do?" Ginny asked, sighing loudly.

"He was hitting on Ella!" Fred said in defense.

"It'll be okay, I promise," I said to Fred, giving him a small hug.

Suddenly, the voice of Dumbledore rumbled throughout the Great Hall. "Welcome, Durmstrang and Beauxbatons students! We at Hogwarts are very happy to have you here with us. Now, I don't want yourselves to wait any longer for the talk of the Triwizard Tournament, so we'll move on. Anybody wishing to submit themselves as champion must write their name and school clearly upon a slip of parchment and drop it into the goblet. Aspiring champions have twenty-four hours in which to put their names forward. Tomorrow night, Halloween, the goblet will return the names of the three it has judged most worthy to represent their schools. The goblet will then be placed in the entrance hall tonight, where it will be freely accessible to all those wishing to compete."

"Wicked. So how will the goblet know how old we are anyways?" Fred said to George excitedly.

"To ensure that no underage students yields to temptation, I will be drawing an Age Line around the Goblet once it has been placed in the entrance hall. No one under the age of seventeen will be able to cross the line. I wish to impress upon any of you wishing to compete that this tournament is not to be entered into lightly. Once a champion has been selected by the Goblet, he or she is obliged to see the tournament through to the end. The placing of your name in the goblet constitutes a binding, magical contract. There can be no change of heart once you have become a champion. Please be very sure, therefore, that you are wholeheartedly prepared to play before you enter. Now, I think it is time for bed. Good night," Dumbledore added once more.

"An age line?" George said, with anger. "Well, that should be fooled by a simple Age potion, shouldn't it? And once the name is in the goblet, you're laughing - it can't tell whether you're seventeen or not!"

"Yes, but anyone under the age of seventeen wouldn't last in that competition. We haven't learned enough," Hermione said.

"Speak for yourself. Are you going to try to get in, Harry? Ron?" Fred asked.

"Yes!" They said together, and I nodded in agreement.

Fred ignored my nod, and we decided to all go to bed. As we rose from the table, I let out a very big yawn.

"Tired?" Fred grinned.

"Just a bit," I smiled.

Once we all made it back to the common room, the boys and girls went their separate ways.

"Goodnight guys," I said to Harry, Ronald, Fred, and George. Fred walked up and gave me a quick hug, then caught back up with George. I sighed with a smile, and began to follow Hermione, when someone ran behind me, tapping me on the shoulder repeatedly. It was Jacob.

"Yes?" I asked. I hadn't spoken to him since the big fight we had a month or so back.

"I just thought I'd let you know, I'm entering the tournament," he said confidently.

"Jacob, don't be stupid. People die in tournaments like that," I said, shaking my head.

"I know, but Ella, the money. Seriously, I'm actually about to go enter right now," he said, smiling.

"Jacob..."

"No, listen. Come down there with me, okay? We need someone brother-sister time anyway," he said pleadingly.

"Why me? I thought you hated me..."

"Ella, if people really do die in stuff like this, if I get put in and die, we don't want to hate each other. C'mon, this is my apology. You know I'm not good with stuff like this," he said.

I smiled lightly, then engulfed him in a hug. "I really don't want you to enter."

"Well, you can't talk me out of it. I need to enter this, Ella. I need to."

"I'm just worried... And I'm going to be worried until the tournament is over," I sighed.

"Well hey," he said, looking me in the eyes. "This doesn't necessarily mean I'll get in. You don't realize how many people from Hogwarts are entering."

"I know..."

"So, you wanna come with?" he asked excitedly.

"Sure, Jacob..." I said, trying to laugh. We walked out of the common room together and down to the entrance hall. He entered his name, and then we walked back in a matter of five minutes.

"Hey Ella?" he said hesitantly before we parted.

"Yeah?"

"I'm really sorry about before. And sis, I really do love you. You've been there for me for fourteen years. And even if I say I don't, I do. Remember that." And then, he gave me the biggest hug I had ever received in my life.

I kept quiet because I had nothing to say to that. I was just so shocked and surprised. "I love you, Jacob. Thank you for being my older brother."

And with that said, he walked up to his dormitory and me to mine. When I got inside, Hermione had already fallen asleep so I decided I'd talk to her about Jacob in the morning. I slowly crawled into bed and in a matter of minutes, drifted off into sleep - happier than I had ever been before in my life.
♠ ♠ ♠
*The words from Dumbledore about the Triwizard Tournament were J.K Rowling's words for the most part. I do not take credit.

yay, here comes excitement! (:

to my 39 comments/226 readers/65 subscribers: i love you all to pluto and back. <3

QUESTION: Would you rather see Jacob or Cedric be in the Tournament?

<3