Mischief Managed

020.

The next morning I got woken up by someone shaking me frantically. Looking up, I saw it was Hermione.

"Bloody hell, Hermione," I said, sitting up.

"Ella, why did I find your bra and underwear in the common room this morning?" she hissed.

"Fuck," I said.

"Ella, did you have sex? I found boxers too," she said, with a worried face.

"Oh, Hermione," I groaned. "Did you get them, at least?"

"Yes, I have them in your suitcase so no one would see!" she said.

"So you were the only one who saw them?"

"I'm pretty sure. They were pretty far under the couch and chair, but when I stuck my feet back, I could feel something. And while I was on the floor getting your bra and underwear, I saw boxers under the chair," she said, shaking her head.

"Fuck, fuck," I said.

"Did you and Ron...?" she started, but stopped when she saw me slowly nod. "Oh, Ella, why?"

"We just got caught up in the moment! I didn't plan on it!" I said, starting to get out of bed.

"What if Fred finds out?"

"Well, one, he won't find out. Two, if he does, he hasn't a right to be mad because we aren't officially together. Right?" I asked.

"Kind of... I mean, you two still are like... confusing. I don't know," Hermione said, rolling her eyes.

"You're telling me," I joked.

"Why don't you two just get together? I mean, seriously," she said, flopping on her bed.

"Me and Fred or me and Ronald...?" I asked, staring at her like she was crazy.

"You and Fred, of course!" she said.

"Oh. Ask him. He doesn't think we're right for each other," I said, shrugging.

"Rubbish! You two are perfect for each other!" she said.

"I don't even know anymore, Hermione, to be honest," I said to her.

"No one does."

The two of us sat together in silence, just looking around the room.

"Well, wanna go downstairs?" she asked, as I nodded. We went down to the common room. There was a group of first years over by the fire, so we went to the opposite end and saw Harry and Ronald talking.

"Hey," I said, sitting down beside Harry.

"Harry, have you asked anyone to the dance?" Hermione asked, sitting down as well.

"Not yet," he said.

"Harry, you have less than two weeks..." I said.

"I don't know who to ask!" he said.

"Well, do either of the Patil twins have dates?" Hermione asked, seeing them sitting in the corner by themselves.

"I dunno..."

"Ask Parvati, mate!" Ronald said at once.

"Okay, I will," Harry agreed and got up. He started walking, then looked back at us three, who had all been staring at him as he went.

"Don't watch me!" he hissed, but with a joking tone.

We laughed, then turned away from him.

"Hope he snatches Parvati..." I said, rubbing my arm. "I'll feel really bad if he doesn't find someone."

Hermione glanced over and saw Harry and Parvati smiling. "I think he got her!"

Moments later, Harry walked back over with a smile. "Well, glad that's over."

"Well? Did she saw yes!?" I said at once.

"No."

We sat and stared at him, until a sly smile erupted on his face.

"Shut the hell up!" I said, laughing.

"Padma has a date, then, right?" Hermione said.

"Yeah, she's going with some Hufflepuff," Harry shrugged.

"Yay! We all have dates!" I said, smiling.

Hermione smiled, then raised her brow at me. I made a funny face at her, until she hit me with a pillow.

"Stop doing that," she said, trying not to laugh. "So immature, Ella."

"But it made you laugh," I said, with a wink.

Hermione just rolled her eyes, and leaned back.

"So, when are you going to find yourself a dress, Ella?" Ronald asked.

"Well, strangely enough, I did," I said.

"When...?"

"Last night. When I went upstairs, it was just laying on my bed... I haven't a clue who put it there," I said.

"Strange," Harry commented.

"Right? But oh goodness is it beautiful..." Hermione said, smiling widely.

"When can I see it?" Ronald asked.

"Christmas," I smiled. He stuck his tongue out at me.

"Oh, Ella, have you talked to Fred at all lately?" Harry asked, still having no clue about Ronald and I.

"Last night. He said he didn't know what he wanted right now, so I guess I'm just taking it one step at a time..."

"I haven't seen him at all so far today... I wonder where he is?" Ronald said.

"Probably with George," Harry shrugged.

However, within a few moments, George came down from the boys common room - alone. He looked over at us, waved, and then came over.

"Hey, George," Ron said, scooting over to make room for him.

"Where's Fred?" Hermione asked curiously.

"Upstairs," George said.

"Why didn't he come down?" I asked, trying not to get worried.

"He said he doesn't feel good, but I think we all know that's not what it is..." George said.

"It's about me, isn't it?" I said, sighing loudly.

"Probably. He didn't really talk much this morning..."

"Maybe I should go talk to him," I said.

"Good luck. He barely gave me two words. He's really hurting, Ella. I've never seen him in this state before," George said sadly.

"Poor Fred..." Hermione said, biting her lip.

"He'll get over it sooner or later," Ronald said, shrugging.

"Ronald! He's heartbroken," Hermione said, slapping his shoulder.

"Sorry," Ronald murmured and sunk back slightly.

I got up and headed straight towards the boys dormitory without another word. Walking into Fred's room, I saw him laying in his bed, turned away from me. He didn't look around when I entered, so I assumed he didn't hear me.

"Fred?" I said slowly.

He looked over at me and quickly sat up.

"Ella? What're you doing here?"

"George told me you didn't feel good, so I came up here to check on you," I said, walking over to him and sitting beside him.

"I'm fine," he said.

"No you aren't. You're hurting. And it's my fault," I said.

"Ella, don't blame yourself for any of this."

"But Fred, I'm the reason you're hurting. You and I both know it," I told him sadly.

"I just don't know anymore, Ella."

"About what?"

"I can't do this right now..." he said, laying back down.

"Fred. We're never going to figure this thing out by ignoring it. We need to talk about it. We need to. If we keep putting it off, it's only going to do damage. Nothing is going to get fixed if we just let it control our relationship," I said desperately.

"What do you want from me Ella?"

"I want you to stop giving me the cold shoulder and tell me how you're feeling. I just want everything to be okay again..."

"You want the truth?"

"Yes, Fred, I do..."

He sat up once again. Then, facing me, he put his hands on my shoulders and looked at me straight in the eye.

"Fine, Ella. The truth? I'm terrified right now. To the point where just thinking of you makes me want to puke. Because I'm scared of losing you. And it's happening, Ella. Because I'm pushing you away, but I'm not trying to. That's why I asked Angelina instead of you. Because if you would've said no, I don't know what I would've done. And if you said yes, I don't know what I would've done. Because the moment where we cross the friendship line - no, I don't mean kissing. I mean actually getting serious with each other - is when the fear of losing you grows. Ella, I need you in my life, I really do. I'm just scared. I don't know why, I don't ever feel this way. I'm supposed to be the prankster, the Weasley who is always laughing. I don't like feeling like this. I feel weak and I feel like a failure."

"Fred, come here," I said, pulling him into a hug. I breathed deeply, trying not to cry. I didn't want to show weakness. However, when we pulled away, I saw a teardrop slowly falling down his cheek. I wiped it away with my sleeve and smiled at him, my eyes growing wet as well.

"You're crying," I said quietly.

"So are you," he said.

"Fred, I'm never going to leave you..." I said.

"How do you know that? How do I know that?" he said.

"Because when two people truly love each other, they'll do all they can to protect each other. And Fred, I truly do love you. And I'm not letting you go. I'm going to keep fighting for you. I always have, always do, and always will," I said, putting a hand on his shoulder.

"What happens if this doesn't work out like we want it to?" he asked quietly.

"Fred, listen to me. We'll make this work, okay? We have two choices here. Fifty years from now, we can either be wondering what would've happened between us. Or we could be living our lives, together, thanking the good lord that we got this chance to fall in love. Afterall, you only fall in love once."

Fred sighed loudly, not saying anything.

"You don't have to do this by yourself, Fred," I said quietly, putting my hand on his knee.

"Do what?"

"Anything..." I whispered.

He just looked at me, without a word. Just a blank expression, except the wetness in his eyes.

"I don't know what else to say or do, Fred. I really don't," I said.

"I want to fix this," he choked out.

"Actually," I started, but felt more tears. I took a deep breath and began again. "I think it's me that needs s-some time now."

Then, I got up and looked at him for a moment. He grabbed onto my hand and attempted to pull me back. I stopped and looked at him, my hand still in his. I bent down, gave him a simple kiss, and let go. Stopping at the door, I turned towards him.

"I love you, Fred Gideon Weasley."

With that said, I slowly walked down the stairs, crying softly to myself. Once I made my way down the stairs, Harry, Ronald, Hermione, and George were all looking at me. Ron got up at once and hugged me.

"I need to be alone."

And with that, I gently pushed Ron away, and ran up to my room, slamming the door shut.
♠ ♠ ♠
yes, i know that that may not be fred's real middle name, but it was never mentioned. so in this story it's Gideon. deal with it. :)

yule ball next chapter <3