‹ Prequel: Like Northern Stars

Hung the Moon

when the day is done, i'll be with you

The glow of the full moon outside her window seemed to wash out the tiny bedroom, making everything around them appear in shades of black, white, and gray.

His arms were wrapped around her, and she could hear him slowly breathe in and out, his breaths coming in waves against the back of her neck. Though she had shared moments like this with other guys in her past, something about him made her feel more secure, confident that he wouldn’t leave her like all of the guys she’d shared this bed with before had.

She could see it in the way his brown eyes lit up whenever she entered a room, the way those same chocolate eyes would squint up when his smile overtook his face. There was just something so genuine about Carlos that made him stand out from her past relationships. He didn’t play games, and he didn’t automatically turn against her when she told him she was saving herself for marriage, and even though they hadn’t been together for that long, she felt safe with him. She didn’t feel like she had to change herself to make him stay or make sacrifices to be with him. Things just sort of fit.

They clicked together like a seatbelt, his love strapping her in and keeping her safe from the dark loneliness of the outside world. They built their own world, secure inside their own little bubble, a cottage in the countryside, away from the hustle and bustle of the city.

Away from the city lights, the stars gleamed like a million sequins thrown against a blanket of the night sky. Even as he slept, Carlos outshined them all.

There was just so many things that she felt she needed to tell him, but she just couldn’t find the right words. They all seemed to pale in comparison to what he meant to her. He was her own little diamond in the rough, and although they weren’t rich, they made enough to get by, even if most of their meals consisted of Ramen noodles and well water.

Victoria kept telling herself that eventually they’d get the riches they deserved. It was enough of a blessing to have him in her arms that she didn’t care about all the rest. She was satisfied as long as she had his love.

Grasping his hand in her own, she caressed his caramel skin, careful not to wake him with her touch. A part of her needed to feel him, needed to know that he was real, that he was flesh and bones instead of some dream. The dull throb of his pulse against her fingertips was all the evidence she needed.

Nestling her head into her soft white pillow, she tugged his arm around herself as she inched closer to the warmth of his body. A sigh escaped her lips as eyelids fluttered over her chocolate eyes. Lying there with him by her side was just the right amount of reassurance she needed to know that the next day could only be better.