Status: Story will be extremely slow updating. Sorry.

Sweet Child of Mine

We Are Family

Cadence watched as Ellen and Jo washed dishes, and she caught herself smiling. She was at home here with the Harvelles, not as much as at Bobby's, but enough to make her happy. She missed Ash and his crazy mullet, but it was all of the fond memories she had of growing up with Jo that kept her content. She remembered having sleep overs and fighting make believe monsters behind the Roadhouse before they knew monsters were real.

Turning to the girl, Ellen asked, "So... do you feel up to a little road trip?"

Cadence shrugged, "Sure. Beats sittin' here. Where are we going?"

"To Bobby's."

"And to fight demons along the way," Jo added with a smile.

Cadence too smiled and said, "Game."

Getting up, she helped put away the dishes and went up to her room to pack her clothes. She didn't know why, but she was excited to hunt with Ellen and Jo. Perhaps it was because this was a new experience. Or maybe it was just because she was starting to get her groove back and this was what hunters did. But it was probably because she was going to get to spend more time with the Harvelles.

Assuming Castiel wasn't down stairs waiting to whisk her away to some new lead he had.

Thankfully, the kitchen was empty when she descended the staircase. She could hear Ellen and Jo talking in the living room so she made her way there. Ellen and Jo were looking at a map that covered a card table, occasionally looking up at the map on the wall.

"What are you doing," Cadence asked, setting her bag down.

"Mapping out which town to avoid as we drive." Answered Jo, "As of right now it looks like we're not making stops."

Cadence frowned, "They're all demons?"

"Demons or clever traps."

"Plus there's only three of us, and we don't have all the time in the world," said Ellen.

"Just straight shoot it, then." Cadence said, "We leave now... we'll be there at eleven tonight. Assuming we really are in Wyoming." She pointed to the map.

"Sounds good to me," said Ellen.

"I'll drive," said Jo.

"I call back seat," Cadence announced, holding up her hand.

"Go for it." Ellen shrugged.

The three women loaded up the bed of a pickup, Cadence crawling into the back seat and stretching out. Ellen and Jo climbed into the front of the cab, and they were off.

"So why are we going to Bobby's," Cadence asked as she pulled out a book from her bag - she was using it to prop herself up against the side of the car.

"Apparently Dean and Sam are back together hunting," said Ellen, "And I guess they have a plan to kill the devil."

Cadence nodded, "Okay. Well that's sort of a good thing then, right? We kill Lucie and the Apocalypse stops rising, we all drink and make merry, then I go back to school, you all go your ways, and it'll be awesome."

"One giant ass pound of chocolate cake," said Jo dryly.

Cadence sensed that her comment had hurt Jo, so she shook her head, "Huh-uh... vanilla. I hate chocolate cake."

Jo couldn't help but give a small laugh, "I don't think it matters what kind of cake it is, just as long as everyone enjoys it."

"Half and half then."

The car laughed and then all were quiet as they drove to the Dakotas.

~

It was about eleven when Bobby heard the sound of a pick up pulling in front of his house. Pushing the wheels of his chair, he pulled back the curtains on his window to find the blackened silhouettes of three women he knew very well. Backing up, he pushed himself into his kitchen where he greeted them at the back door.

"Well that was quick," he said, moving out of their way.

"Three drivers," said Jo with a shrug.

"How you doin' Bobby." Ellen bent down to give her old friend a hug.

"I'm hangin' in there."

"What are you doing up so late," Cadence asked as she too hugged the old man.

"Waitin' for you and helping Louis Land and MJ catch their bad guy."

Cadence chuckled, "Nice analogy."

Bobby grumbled and rolled into the living room, feeling suffocated from being in there all day. Cadence, Jo, and Ellen followed, all taking a moment to stand for a bit before exhaustion forced them down.

Bobby looked at each of them before heaving a sigh, "Ellen, Jo, why don't you go upstairs and get settled.... I need to talk with Cadence for a while."

"Yeah, sure, Bobby." Ellen motioned for her daughter to follow her and they left the room.

"What's up, Bobby?" Cadence asked, almost expectantly.

"Cas came by," he said, "And we talked."

She nodded, "Yeah?"

Sighing Bobby said, "I needed to tell you something about your family."

Cadence froze, he had her full attention.

"I met your grandmother and your mom a while before you were born. I had just lost my wife and they were the ones who helped me learn about being a hunter. I loved Constance and Constantine like they were my own family, and I love you just as much.

"While your mom was pregnant with you, Constance brought all of us together to tell us her... history. She was born in the norther part of Wisconsin, and grew up always knowing there were monsters in the night. Now, your great-grandparents weren't hunters, but that didn't stop Constance from doin' it. On one of her trips, she met a guy, and things... happened, then she was pregnant with your mother.

"Your great-grandparents weren't exactly thrilled with what happened, so they threw her out of the house. She went to nursing school to get a job hoping to give your mom a normal life, when she started hearing voices. For nine months she thought she was going crazy, until she learned...." Bobby stopped.

"Learned what?" Cadence's voice was eager but timid.

"Until she learned that she was a fallen angel."

Cadence's jaw dropped, her suspicions were true.

"When an angel falls, they tear out their grace which plummets down to earth like a comet. Your grandmother found where her grace landed, and put it back in her. However, when that happened, part of it attached itself to your mother, and it forced Constance into labor. When she gave birth, the grace split and so your mother was born with... half angel mojo in her. This allowed her to hear people's thoughts, heal rapidly, and heal others as well.

"When your mother met her one night stand, Constance wasn't sure what would happen. So she told us this, then said we were to keep an eye on you to see if anything... odd happens."

"Odd."

"Like if you healed faster than everyone else, or if you heard voices, or could read people's thoughts. I had almost fogotten about you until you were attacked by that witch."

Cadence sat in her chair and stared at Bobby, "I... am... part angel?"

Bobby nodded.

Tears pooled in her brilliant blue eyes, "Why wasn't I told?"

"Constance was killed, and you mother wanted to wait... but then.... With all that happened, and you not answering my calls once you were in school, I never got the chance."

The tears spilled down the girl's face and she gasped, "I read Dean's thoughts."

Bobby looked surprised, "What?"

"I-It was a while ago.... I thought he was talking, but he didn't think he was. I never thought about it... until now."

Bobby moved in front of the girl. Taking her hand, he said, "You have... certain abilities, Cadence. You're special."

Cadence tried to smile, but it didn't have the power to reach the rest of her. "I.... I need some air."

Bobby moved to allow her to leave. She walked out of the house and into the maze of junk cars that piled high around her. She came to a stop next to a black '67 Ford Mustang with orange race strips, and leaned against it for support.

"Castiel," she said, her voice weak with the strain of tears, "Castiel... I need you."

"I'm here."

Turning, she flung herself into his chest and held onto him while she cried. At first, Castiel had no idea what to do. But, he remembered watching other humans in this position, and he wrapped his arms around her, hoping he was conveying the right emotion.

He wanted her to stop crying. He wanted to be there for her. He wanted to make her happy.
♠ ♠ ♠
Aw shit.... she's an angel.
What's going to happen now?

comments?