Status: NO UPDATES UNTIL MAY. SORRY.

San Francisco, Lovely

SCENE THREE.

Hazel eyes absently stared out the window up to the clear blue sky. His hand was curled under his chin, keeping his head up and his feet were propped up on the coffee table. The television mounted against the wall was silenced but a movement raced across the LCD screen. The dark wood guitar lay across his lap, his fingers strumming against the soundboard. His mind was blank as if white noise had erased everything from his brain, but his eyes suddenly narrowed down at the floorboards.

It was something about Samaria Dukes that triggered his thoughts to focus on her for periods at a time. He didn’t know why or even understood why; they would always just fall back onto her. It seemed that he was damned if he thought of her and damned if he didn’t. Sami was not like any other girl Darren had met before, especially in San Francisco. It was very bothersome.

“Oh no.” The comic voice well known to Darren came into earshot. “He has that look in his eyes again.”

“What look?” Chuck questioned as he took a bit from his Burger King burger, while glancing up from his laptop.

“That focused, intense stare that Darren’s eyes turn.” Joey started. “That could only mean three things: 1) He’s got a song idea and it’s best to get him a pen and paper now, 2) He’s pissed off at something you did—“

“I didn’t do anything!” Chuck interjected. “At least I don’t think I did.”

Or, 3) Darren has fallen in love. This could mean danger.” Joey smirked and flopped down on the couch. “Has DareBear fallen in love with the new girl?”

“You have a fucked up mind, Joey Richter.” Darren said plainly and set his guitar against the wall. “I would like to inform you that I do not have a song idea, I am not pissed at Chuck (at least not yet) and—I’m going to make this very clear,” He turned and faced Joey staring him straight in the eye. “I am not in love with anybody. I don’t even know her.”

“Yet! You know her yet. I can fix that for you.”

“Whoa, okay. The last time you helped me with a relationship problem, you were the one that ended up dating her.”

“So you admit that you like this Sami Dukes girl.” Joey raised an eyebrow in suspicion with a wicked smirk on his face. Joey was always sneaky about getting Darren to admit things that he didn’t want to admit. It was what Joey called his ‘Talent’.

“I mean she’s pretty, but I don’t know.” Darren shook his head. “No. How can I like someone that I just met less than a week ago? For all I know she doesn’t want to even associate with me.”

Chuck leaned back in his chair at the kitchen table, clearing his throat to make an input. “What about the other day? Didn’t she come to get her phone and you two were flirting?”

“We were most definitely not flirting. I just offered to show her San Fran, that’s not a big deal. You both know that I would offer that to anyone.”

A loud knock came to the door. Joey rose from his seat and started to the door, “With that statement being true I still believe that you have a thing for this new chick.” With a quick turn of the knob, Joey swung opened the door and stared in front of him. “Huh, I thought there was a knock at the door...”

“Asshole.” The voice muttered. Joey glanced down and stared at the blonde girl with the facial expression that was comparable to a lion that hadn’t been fed for days.

“Oh, it’s you.” He said with an eye roll, and leaned against the doorframe. “Can I help you?”

“Is Darren here?”

“Dare! Some dwarf is at the door.”

“She has a name.” Darren said as he walked to the foyer. The tone of his voice had annoyance in it. “Her name is Venna.”

“Until she grows her name shall be Dwarf.” He nodded.

“For your information, I was a model back in New York.”

“For what, The Gap: Kids?”

Venna glowered and was ready to lunge at Joey, but before she could Darren step in between them giving Joey a stern look. The tallest boy with the crooked smile just glared at Venna and disappeared deeper into the apartment.

“Sorry.” The curly haired boy said with apologetic eyes. Venna waved off the confrontation.“What’s up?”

“We got some of your mail; they’ve been mixing it up lately.”

Venna dug through her beach bag and handed Darren a stack of mail. The boy frowned at the pile and took it from the girl with gratitude, placing it in a basket on the table next to the wall. The way Venna was dressed with her skinny jeans and unzipped sweater revealing her tank top, along with her sunglasses on the top of her head indicated that she was about to go out on the town.

“Can I ask where you’re going or is it personal matter?”

Venna laughed and glanced up at the taller boy. “I don’t think that there’s anything personal about going to a get a coffee, mover boy.” Darren chuckled. “I’m going to meet Dukes; she went on a walk or something earlier this morning. Do you want to come?”

The male licked his lips and averted his eyes away from the female. “I wouldn’t want to interfere or anything. Thank you for the offer, though.”

“You’re not going to be interfering. I know it may seem that Sami is resistant but she’s like that to everyone she meets. You just have to get to know her.”

“I tried to at the party.”

“Wow, one attempt, congratulations.” Venna rolled her eyes and shifted her feet. “Are you coming or not?”

Darren looked back at his two friends that were too captivated by some video playing on the computer. He muttered to himself about their ability to be so goddamn ignorant. On that note, Darren swiped his keys from the table and his pink sunglasses. Venna’s face twisted as he placed them over his eyes and smirked faintly.

“Why pink?” She questioned, stepping into the fixed elevator and jabbed her finger to the ground button.

“Why not?” He retorted and leaned against the wall. His fingers tapped quickly against the prestigious iPhone 4. Venna shrugged just as the elevator came to a sudden halt. The pair made their way towards the front door but first Darren high fived the receptionist at the front desk who Venna learned to be named Cooper.

Cooper was abnormal tall with toothpick arms that dangled by his side. His hair was shaggy and a dark shade of black that looked blue in certain lighting. He was a burnout; he dropped out of high school when he was only fifteen because he believed that education wouldn’t get you the world, or the girl. He’d known Darren since the fourth grade. Were they the best of friends? Not necessarily, but Darren would do anything for that kid.

They only engaged in conversation for a moment or two until Darren waved and caught up with Venna just outside of the building.

“I’ll drive?” He questioned, yet it was more of action as he was half way to his car and had unlocked it.

“I was hoping so.” Venna smiled and slid into the passenger’s seat. “Sami and I are still looking. It’s difficult.”

“Do you two know have enough money?”

“No, money is not a concern. We just can’t decide what one each of us wants.” Vee replied and sent a quick message to Sami declaring that she and Darren were on their way to meet her. Subconsciously, her fingers drummed to the rhythm of the beat to the unknown song that was playing through the speakers of the car as Darren drove.

“So, do you have parties like that every week?”

“Nah.” The mover boy shook his head. “Once a month usually, or try to unless there’s a holiday festival then we go to the pub. For example, March has St. Patrick’s Day so we’re going to the pub to get our drink on. Not to mention that my Irish side will burst out and cause some mayhem.”

“Irish? You look kind of Asian...”

“My mother is Filipino, my dad is Irish.”

“Gotcha.” Venna clicked her tongue.

Darren side glanced at her as he turned the corner. “What about you?”

“I’m Romanian. I was born there.”

“Did you study dragons there with Charlie?” Venna stared wide eye at the boy and blinked slowly, her mouth gaped. “Sorry, it was a Harry Potter reference.”

“Trust me, I know!”

“You’ve read the series?” Darren asked with a faint disbelieving tone to his question, and a slight eyebrow raise.

“I’m blonde, not stupid or illiterate.” She said plainly. “I live, breath, sleep anything that has to do with that genius masterpiece written by that bloody brilliant J.K. Rowling.”

“Bloody?”

“It was for emphasizes.” She shrugged and turned in her seat just as they arrived at the cafe. Darren parked on the side of the road, quickly cutting off the engine and hopping out. “If anyone found out about what a huge nerd I am, my reputation would be shot.”

“You actually care about what people think about you?”

Venna shrugged and shoved her hands into the front of her jean pockets. “If you lived in New York, you’d feel the pressure.”

“Is that why you and Sami moved out here?”

The girl looked up at Darren and smiled small, “I think you’ve heard enough for one day.” Darren laughed shallowly, with slight confusion and held open the door as they walked into the old style coffee shop that would see in the 1940s. “Well this is cute. It’s nothing like a Starbucks or anything, not as packed with preteens with their training bras and fake designer sunglasses.”

“...And Sami’s not here...?” Darren glanced around the shop.

“Oh! She texted me and said that she’d be here in a few.”

“Okay, so I’ll get the coffee and you’ll find a seat, then?”

Venna shouted, “Just a latte for me! Sami will probably want a grande non-fat mocha. Thanks mover boy!”

His hazel eyes rolled playfully as he stood in line behind an older lady. His fingers drummed against his thighs and began to hum under his breath. The phone in his pocket vibrated causing him to jump at least in inch in the air

Way to just totally drop off the face of the earth and leave me here with Chuck The Fuck. –Joey

“Be nice.” Darren started to type. “I’m out for coffee with Sami and Venna.”

“Hey Darren.” The girl behind the counter, Clara, said with a bright smile on her face. “What can I get you today?”

He grinned, “Medium drip, grande latte and a grande non-fat mocha. Oh, and perhaps one of those Cuban cookies.” The girl giggled and walked away to prepare the order for the male. “Thank you, Clara!”

Playa, playa. Keep your hormones down to a minimum Darren, dear. Things could get messy. –Joey

“Screw off.” His simple reply was. Although it was not effective since he knew Joey would shoot back a text with some form of sexual innuendo tangled into it. So he ignored the next buzz.

“Here ya are.” Clara announced from behind him. She set down the tray of coffee and the wrapped Cuban cookie in front of him. “No charge, of course.”

“Clara.” Darren said sternly. “You can’t keep doing this. I’m going to pay.”

“Nope.”

He knew not to argue any further because he would end up with the short end of the stick. He wasn’t good when it came to arguments with the female gender, he tends to cave in and let them win. Joey would always call him up and tell him that he was a pushover. Labels didn’t matter to Darren, though.

“Thank you.” He said anyway and picked up the tray and snack. As he turned, Darren noticed that now the brunette was at the table with the blonde along with a few shopping bags on the tiled floor. “What’s all this?”

Sami Dukes glanced up to the hazel eyed boy. “Just some things I bought while I walking around today. There for my darkroom.”

Darren handed out the coffee and sat opposite of the girls. “Darkroom?” He was curious, “As in, like, photography?”

“Precisely.” Sami sipped her drink, impressed with the goodness of it.

“I think that barista likes you.” Venna nonchalantly casted her gaze to Clara across the room. “She’s staring you down like you’re a fucking Jonas Brother or something.”

“I don’t doubt it.” Darren’s voice was casual. “She’ll never make a move, though, she’s too shy. And neither will I.”

“Why not? She’s pretty.” Sami made an input.

“I’m just not into her.” He shrugged. “We’ve been friends for a while and we’ve hung out but there isn’t that spark or anything.”

Vee nodded. “Ah, of course! So you must have a ‘type’ then.”

“Not really? I don’t know....”

“So if I went to Los Angeles right now and picked up a hooker, you would fuck her?” Sami burst out in laughter at Vee’s serious question. “Please, Samaria, act like an adult.”

Darren leaned back in his chair staring absentmindedly at the blonde's question. He was completely baffled with not a fraction of thought how he could possibly answer a question as obscure as Venna's. Sami’s laughter continued under her breath as she hid behind her coffee cup; her eyes were staring beyond Darren but casually lingered onto him. As his eyes rose to meet hers, Sami’s quickly flickered away.

He liked her smile, it was sort of cute. But not major cute, it was more of after seeing a little boy run up to a little girl at the park and hand her a bouquet of dandelions. It was that kind of cute.

Little did Darren know that it was her mystery gravity that was pulling him in slowly, almost as if he were hypnotized. There were no limitations as to where the orange would squirt next.
♠ ♠ ♠
Don't be a silent reader. - Speak(:

*SCENE FOUR: Admitting is the first step. The second is attempting to be civil. Good luck.