Enjoy the Silence

I

Tommy Joe Ratliff wasn’t the type of guy that usually goes for relationships. He wasn’t against them; they just seemed like too much trouble to deal with. He heard his friends talk about their significant other in distaste and heard all the problems that his friends had with their current girlfriend or boyfriend. He was an independent individual and to be honest, the whole idea of ‘having a girlfriend’ was scary.

Right now with the fame that he had, he was also scared that someone would only date him for the rock star life that he had now, not for who he was. Tommy decided that with the friends he had now, he didn’t need to have a girlfriend to keep him company, and a few one-night stands would help him chase away any loneliness while he was the road. It was better than just his two hands all the time.

But it seemed like everything turned upside down when he met Adam. The man was truly phenomenal; he was a man of his word in a world of give and take, a hard thing to find in this day and age. One thing that Tommy learned the hard way was that Adam left an impression on everyone he met. A good impression or a bad one was up to the person, but he was definitely memorable.

Then some of those memories, on lonely days, were hard for Tommy to think about. After all, the man stole his heart with the first kiss. Even if it was just for fun or for the love of rock and roll, it started all the horrible feelings that swirled within Tommy’s stomach when he saw Adam. But he was a master of masquerade because no one knew about the crush that he had on the black haired man, or if they did know, they wouldn’t say anything. Hopefully.