Status: philosophical drabble, what do you think? comment, please!

The Butterfly Dream

"Once upon a time, I, Chuang Tzu, dreamed I was a butterfly, fluttering hither and thither, to all intents and purposes of a butterfly. I was conscious only of following my fancies as a butterfly, and was unconscious of my individuality as a man. Suddenly, I awoke, and I lay there, myself again. Now, I do not know whether I was then a man dreaming I was a butterfly, or whether I am now a butterfly dreaming I am a man."

this story is based on the famous paradox by the Chinese philosopher Chuang Tzu. The paradox states that Tzu is not certain whether he is a butterfly dreaming of being a man or a man that dreamed he was a butterfly . Most people would think that he is crazy, but really, how are we to prove this as false? What if, things didn't have to be either real or unreal, but could be both? Is surreal duality plausible? How can we be so sure that what we call "reality" really isn't just a dream? How can we tell that what we call "dreams" aren't a reality? Could it be that our whole life is a dream, and what we say are "dreams" are actually just dreams within a dream? Do you have any way of knowing whether or not you are awake or asleep at this very moment?

this story is entered in this here awesome contest! i'm really glad that i stumbled upon it, or else i wouldn't have even thought of writing this... so thank you! enjoy.

Note: i really dislike this font with a passion, but i thought it went well with the story...

©2011 Ming
  1. )i(
    Am I a butterfly dreaming that I am a man, or am I a man that dreamt I am a butterfly...? [722 words.]