Status: Written a long, long, long, long time ago. Putting it up for the world to see

Starry Night

Intentional Accidents

The school’s hallways still had that musty smell like always and they were empty for now. Connor and I just walked alone past the entrance and secretary’s office, our shoes silently scuffing against the newly polished tile floor. He squeezed my hand and asked, “You remember this?”

I looked around, although I didn’t really need to, and nodded slightly. “Why didn’t you let go?” I asked. Connor sighed, but I didn’t back down from my question. “We’ve already been through this.”

“We have,” I agreed, “But I was hoping for different answer this time.” The bell rang, but I never broke my gaze. Students flooded the front lobby and as if we needed an audience, Connor leaned down, his face inches from mine. I stopped breathing and I’m pretty sure my heart stopped beating. “That’s why,” Connor whispered into my ear.

He smelled sweet with a touch of mint, and the slightest smirk appeared on his lips. That dirty blonde hair was messy as always, but pushed upwards, away from his face; and those piercing eyes shone like emeralds against Connor’s fading tan skin.

I closed my own eyes, not sure of anything that was happening anymore, and leaned into Connor further. All around us, people gasped, sighed, and whispered. And for once I didn’t care. He was with me and that was comforting all by itself. Slowly I could feel him pull away, and when I opened my eyes, he was gone in an instant.

First period block was gym. My heart sped up as I entered the large, sweaty room, and I almost waited for Connor to pop out behind me and pull me into those strong, warm arms of his. Only, he wasn’t there.

Class after class, he wasn’t anywhere.

Finally, during lunch, I took a seat near a wall length window, where the winter sun warmed my skin. The sky was slowly becoming gray with clouds, but snow never fell. I began to think that I wouldn’t see Connor again today and my eyes began to reflect the grayness the sky was showing.

My friends sat around me and I tried to fake a smile. No one noticed the dreary spark in my eyes besides Taylor, but she tried not to bring it up around the other girls.

When we were walking back to class, I said, “Have you seen him?” Taylor knew exactly who I was talking about, and shook her head no. “I thought I heard him be called to the office though.”

My pulse quickened as I entered the small, pale room. I looked around quickly and spotted a guy with dirty blonde hair crouched over in a chair, his head in his palms.

“Connor…” He looked up and took me into his arms instantly, those green eyes showing pain. “What’s wrong?”

He tried to swallow and croaked out, “There’s been an accident.” My mind started spinning thinking about my mother. Only it couldn’t be her because I would be the one here. Oh no. Emily…

I held him tighter and whispered, “Everything will be fine.”

Connor pulled away the slightest bit, “How can you know that? You can’t, Stacy. I don’t even think you know what it feels like.”

His words stung and my mind quickly replayed my father at the door. He turned around to smile and he was gone before I could say I love you. I clenched my hands as if holding onto the bear he gave me, and I held back the tears in my eyes. “My dad was supposed to be stationed in Iraq. I was younger then, but his lieutenant called a few weeks after he left, and my mother and I were devastated. I would think I know what it feels like.”

Connor’s lips kissed the top of my forehead, and he whispered, “I’m sorry, I didn’t know.”

“Nobody does. Now why aren’t you at the hospital with you mother?”

“The principal is dealing with that now.”

“I’ll swing by after—”

“You’re coming with me Stacy.” I smiled slowly and Connor’s eyes sparked. My fingers intertwined with his when we pulled apart and the principal stepped out of his office. He looked between Connor and I skeptically, but before I knew it, we were climbing into his red truck and cranking the engine.

*

Dalton Hospital was quite small compared to the one back home in Florida, but then again this is a much smaller town. We stepped inside the sliding doors and hurried down different corridors before we reached the ICU. I squeezed Connor’s hand tightly as we opened the large glass doors, and a tall, skinny doctor led us toward Emily’s bed.

I gasped at the sight of her and curled into Connor chest, tears forming at the corner of my eyes. Deep gashes covered her face and arms, and her leg was in a large white cast, with a number of pillows underneath it. An IV was giving Emily blood as well as morphine for the pain. Her usual bright green eyes were closed and a tube was placed down her throat to give her air. Doctor Tall and Skinny told us that she was in a comatose state, and I could feel Connor tense in my arms as he continued to speak.

“Who did this,” he muttered, his anger bubbling over into his voice.

“A drunk driver in one of the other wings, and there's barely a scratch on him, of course.”

Connor walked hastily out of the room and I chased after him. “Connor, where are you going?” But I already knew.

The man was sitting up in his bed reading a magazine, although handcuffed to a plastic post. He looked up, startled, and was about to say hello, but Connor cut him off. “Have you never learned not to drink and drive?” Connor asked, trying to keep his voice in check.

“Apparently not because you nearly killed my mom, you son of a bitch!”

“Connor! Please, your mother wouldn’t want you doing this. She’d want you at her bedside, not here.” I took his hand, but he shook it away. “Please, Connor.” He looked quickly down at me with wary eyes and back to the stunned drunk in bed.

“That’s right. Listen to you your girlfriend, boy.”

Connor pretended to punch him, his fist inches away from the drunk’s face. He yelped pathetically and Connor laughed, “You’re right. He’s not worth it.” He took my hand and we were back in the main corridor in seconds. “Thank you for listening. You’re mom would be happy that you did that for her.”

Connor glanced down at me, his green eyes burning with hate and anger. “I did it for both you.”