Status: Written a long, long, long, long time ago. Putting it up for the world to see

Starry Night

Under One Sky

The book felt heavy in my hands and the same words always seemed to appear on the page as I read and reread the same sentence. I was too tired to comprehend anything important, but I couldn’t close my eyes, afraid of who I might see in my dreams.

I sank into my pillow and pulled the blankets over my shoulders, feeling as if the warmth of the bed would comfort me…and it did. As I lay flat on my back, my eyes traveled past the sunroof above me and into the never-ending sea of space. The moon was full and had a golden ring around it, lighting the craters that indented its surface. Stars dotted the sky like little rhinestones on black velvet and I almost stretched out my hand to feel its soft, calming touch. I sighed in awe as something flew across the sky, leaving a brilliant and fiery trail behind it. A shooting star…only I didn’t know what to wish for.

* * * *

The next morning, my mom had to literally pull me out of bed. I tried to explain to her that I went to sleep at 2:00 am, but she didn’t buy it. “Yeah right Stacy. Nice try, you still have to get up!”

“I have to pee. I recommend that you to don’t do that,” I warned.

My mother laughed nervously and let go. “Bathroom is right down the hall.”

“Yeah…you’re going to need to be more specific. Ever since you rearranged all the furniture already…” I let my voice trail off as the warm blanket slid off my legs and I stood up, without much balance.

“Down the hall, on the left, second door.”

I nodded and stuck my thumbs up in approval. “Thank you.”

As my feet shuffled down the hall, to the left, second door, I felt that today would be an amazing day, for no reason at all. I hummed to my favorite song and almost danced down the hall in rhythm with it. The sun was bright through all the windows, and its golden rays gave everything in its path a peculiar, but beautiful glow.

In my room once again, to finish getting ready, I sat on the soft cushion of the window seat and studied the peachy-colored sky. The pale remnants of the moon slowly slipped underneath the cover of the mountains while the sun rose opposite of it. I felt as if the worlds of day and night shared the same sky for once, like they were combining as one.

A small memory of Brandon flooded into my mind. Together as one, I had thought that day…the day he kissed me. It seemed so far ago in the past, but at the same time, felt so close to my fingertips that I felt as if I reached out, I could feel him again. Only I couldn't.

I sighed and realized that thinking about the past would only cause more pain in the future, and I didn’t need it. My legs reluctantly carried me away from the windowsill, but before I closed my bedroom door, I saw that the moon had disappeared, leaving the sun all alone in the sky. For some reason, it felt only too familiar.

* * * *

He flashed his snow-white teeth, and I remember my heart stopping. His eyes were sparkling even brighter with his roaring laughter and I just remember how perfect he was. My stomach was twisted in knots, but at the same time, a smile stretched across my face and I started to join in on the amusement.

“Are you okay?” He asked in between snickers.

“Perfectly fine. I just hit myself with a baseball bat, that’s all,” but he had walked away before I could finish talking.

“Stacy’s okay, Mr. Wilson,” Connor bellowed across the gym as he took his place as pitcher once again. The teacher nodded his head, but still walked over to check on me.

“You should go to the nurse. That was a nice thwack,” Mr. Wilson advised.

“No, really. I’m fine,” but he shook is head to my lame protest.
“No.” His answer was definite and I didn’t dare do anything in return except nod.
“I don’t know where it is,” I mumbled.
“Wheeler!” Mr. Wilson yelled, “Show Stacy where the nurse’s office is.”
He rolled his stunning green eyes with annoyance and threw the baseball behind him for someone else to catch. “I’m not going to like you that much, will I?” He muttered.
“Probably not,” I answered almost immediately. I made a promise to someone already anyway, I thought.

Connor walked swiftly down an unfamiliar hallway, obviously irritated by having to leave in the middle of the game.

“Sorry,” I said, much like I did the day before.

He kept his eyes straight ahead, and said, “It’s fine,” without much emotion.

“No, it’s not. Point me in the right direction, and I’ll find the nurse eventually. You go back to your game.” I laughed. “My team has no chance anyway.”

He smiled again, and my heart pumped even faster than before. “That’s the point. With you gone and not hurting everyone and everything you touch, it doesn’t add as much fun to it.”
I laughed loudly and tried to catch my breath, but my head started to feel dizzy because of it.

Connor noticed and muttered, “Coach was right.” He became serious again, like I had always seen him, and walked faster across in the same direction, as if that would get me to the nurse faster.

Ms. McCabe lent me an ice pack that sent chills up and down my spine. “You got quite a nasty hit,” she said soothingly. “Fortunately, though you are free to go back to class, just make sure I get the pack back at the end of the day.”

I nodded and stood up uneasily, trying to catch my balance. Connor put a hand on my shoulder to steady me, but his face revealed no emotion and his emerald eyes were unreadable. I sighed. The two good minutes in the hallway seemed to dissipate, which made me feel that I made the whole thing up. Why was I so upset about it anyway, I thought. It was nothing, just some laughs.

On the way back, the lonesome sun was shining bright and gold in the sky, not a cloud in sight. As Connor pulled me along impatiently, I searched for the moon, wishing, hoping that the two worlds were together again. Finally, I spotted it, paper white just above the majestic mountain. A smirk appeared on my face.

Throughout the rest of the day, I was able to focus in class, even with Connor beside me. I found myself crazy for acting so strangely towards him, and I bet he thinks me just plain strange, so I was capable to let go of whatever I was holding on to.

That night, I had a two hour conversation with Brandon on the phone, and I must have smiled more than I had in the entire three days I had been here. I felt at home, which was something that I almost forgot what it was like.

“Good night,” he said softly.

His voice was like a prick on a harp to my ears, always playing and playing, never stopping. “Good night. Love you.”

I could hear Brandon breathing evenly in the earpiece. It was a sound that calmed me, like a sort of metronome that I couldn’t live without. “Love you, too. I wished for this to happen, you know. A shooting star.”

I smiled broadly. “Me too.”

There was no response, and I went to bed…listening to a harp play endless music.