Status: writing.

We Are All Broken

Scarlett - 1

“Where’s Drane?” asked Vertigo.
“Umm…I don’t know. Probably outside smoking. Want me to go find him?” I asked.
“Yeah, can you?” I nodded my head and headed outside. Vertigo head been pretty nice to me lately…she used to be a total bitch, but now she was only a bitch sometimes. Oh…pardon my language…I’ve been trying to stop cursing but…what the fuck, why am I apologizing to myself in my head?
“I really gotta stop doing that,” I muttered to myself. I turned to the ncer and found Drane smoking a cigarette. I told him to come inside.
“Ugh. Shut up bitch,” he barked at me. I felt a little sting in my heart, but I ignored it and walked away.
Inside, I ran into Carter. I gave him a big hug and we talked a little. Carter was one of my closest friends. He’s gay, but that’s what makes him one of my favorite people. I love that he’s not afraid to embrace who he is, desire what others think.
I found Shane with the rest of our group. Shane was like my big brother. Our families have known each other since…forever. “How are you?” I asked.
“Fine, you?” He responded. He wasn’t fine. I could tell. I could read him like an open book.
“You’re not fine. Tell me the truth,” I demanded. He looked down at the floor, ashamed. Like a pathetic puppy. I had insulted him. I had interrupted his performance. I had removed his mask.
“I really am fine,” he finally said.
I left it there. He didn’t need to tell me anything if he didn’t want to. “Okay. What dorm are you in this year?”
“Montgomery Hall. Room 216. You still in Howard Hall?” he asked.
“Yes, but different floor. Room 512. And guess who’s my roommate?”
“Valentina?”
“No, but close. Autumn.”
“Ew. Well, you’re welcome to hang with us whenever. We can study by the fountains like last year.” I smiled at the thought of last year. I hoped this year would be just as good.