Status: Working on it

College Lessons

The Date

"So what shoes should I wear? I mean, do you think she would rather me come with a cardigan and Sperrys or Jordans and a snapback?" I looked at Rawry and he stared at me.

"Nigga, I don't fucking know. Just do you," he said looking at me like I was pathetic. I never been so nervous to go on a date with a girl.

"Your not helping, bro." He rolled his eyes and scratched his hair. He needed a haircut.

" I mean, I guess girls believe in that 'Be yourself crap.' Dress casually and like you not tryin so hard. Its the coffee shop, not meet the parents."

"Alright. I'll wear Jordans and a cardigan with a snapback." He gave me a thumbs up and I nodded at him.

After taking 2 full hours to get ready, I walked to the coffee shop ready to see Cassie. It was a small little hang out spot for the college kids. I saw a few kids from my class and waved at them and grinning at a group of girls who stared at me. I didn't mind attention once in a while.

I sat down in a small booth at the way back of the shop and waited. Olivia and I once had a date at a coffee shop by our house. It was one of my favorite ones. I know, kinda lame, but when you're in love, you remember the best days with that person. On that date, we learned so much about each other. I even gave her a small charm bracelet she wore all the time. I never got it back.

I heard the door ring for the shop and looked to see Cassie. She looked beautiful. Her short hair was curled and in some type of beret looking thing. She had on a tank top and a floral skirt. With Jordans.

Damn, she got me.I watched as she looked around the small shop for me and when she found me, she smiled. She walked over, her hips swaying a little and her walk confident.

"Hello. You came," she smiled, piercings making her dimples look cute.

"Why wouldn't I?" She bit her lip and looked down for a quick second then at me.

"Things happen."

"I haven't ordered yet. I'll get the waitress." I waved her over and we ordered. She got hot chocolate and a cinnamon bun, I got hot chocolate and a blueberry muffin.

"I eat. I'm not like some girls. So don't be surprised if I order another one," she said smiling big. I smiled back. She was straightforward. I liked that.

"Nah, I like girls who aren't afraid to be themselves in front of guys.It shows they're comfortable."

"I was taught to just be myself. Anyways, you look nice. I like the style you choose. Its like a classy date meets swag. Its dope."

"Yeah? Well you look good too. I never seen a girl rock a floral skirt and Jordans. You don't seem like a Jordans girl."

"Eh, I mean, I like what I like. I'm not the biggest fan of Jordans, but I'm into them."

"I like that."

"Yeah. So, I was surprised you asked me out."

"Ha, why?"

"I mean, I seen almost every single girl get hit on around school and everything. Even the unattractive ones. But not one dude noticed me."

"Guess they don't recognize a gorgeous girl when they see one." I grinned at her and she smiled back.

"Smooth little Mikey. You got a few lines."

"I try, I try. And you got a few ways too."

"Few ways of what?"

"Flirting."

" Ha, like what?"

"The party. You just came up to me and said my shoes were dope. Or did you want to flirt with me?"

"Mr. Houston, I find your way of thinking interesting," she said leaning toward me, her hands crossed on the table."But, I was getting a drink and spilled a little on the floor when I noticed your shoes. I complimented you, then I looked up. When I looked up, you looked down at me. So I guess maybe I was flirting with your shoes? Who knows. But, I will admit I thought you were very cute when I looked at you. Does that answer your question?"

I stared at her as she grinned at me, one of her eyebrows cocked up. She got me.

"Well, I mean."

" Foods here," she says as the waitress sets our food down.

" Well, I'm just happy I was able to meet you for now. You seem like my type," she says.

"Your type?" I watch as she testes the hot chocolate and smiles.

"It taste like my grandmothers. Yeah, I told you at the party. Poetic and kinda shy. I mean, I don't know if you're shy or not right now. You come off as that though."

"It depends who I'm around. I'm moody you could say."

"I see."

We talked for hours about random stuff and ordered more food. From school to old cartoon shows we watched.

"Yeah, I use to love watching nickelodeon shows. But, what time is it?"

"Its..8:00 p.m...," I mumbled and smiled looking at her.

"Wow. We talked for a long time."

"I can walk you to your dorm."

"I would love that."

It only took about 15 minutes to get to her dorm.

"Thanks for the date, Mikey. I enjoyed it."

"Yeah, I'm happy you did." We stood there for a few seconds awkwardly looking around.

"Hey," I said. She looked up at me and smiled. I leaned down to her lips, closing my eyes along the way. Before I felt a finger on my lips. I opened my eyes to her giving a sweet smile.

"I don't kiss on the first date. She moved her hand and stood on her tip toes to kiss my cheek."

"Good night Mikey," she said before going in her room.

Damn, she was playing hard to get. But that only made it more interesting.