Status: Completed!

Give Me A Reason To Believe

1/2

Manhattan. Midnight. The stunning scenery always had me in awe; each architectural structure looming over the cracked pavements- intimidating yet full of grace. The flurry of taxi's scanning the half-empty streets for customers looked as though they had been dipped in honey, streetlights casting a dull glow that reflected off their sleek bodies. Tonight, the heavens were alight with stars. Small dots of white lights peeked through the darkness like sequins, stitched onto the indigo blanket of sky. The streets of Manhattan at night were like a symphony of city beauty.

But, to be honest, I couldn't have really cared less at that moment. I blundered down the cold streets, frustration rising in my throat. I had been ditched. Again. Each night I had reluctantly agreed to go out partying with my girlfriend-Lisa- I had come home alone, exhausted and feeling mistreated. My friends kept trying to convince me that this girl was too crazy and not looking for a real relationship. I knew they were right. But how could I come out of a relationship with a girl whom I had loved for years?

I pulled my leather jacket around my broad shoulders, shivering. The cold night air stung at my face, turning it an unattractive blotchy red. I winced. The darkened shop windows acted like mirrors, reflecting the urban street. I stared at my image, musing. My tall, lanky build moved swiftly along the pavement, each stride surprisingly strong. Mocha-coloured hair was swept across my forehead neatly, framing ice-blue eyes. I stopped. Staring at my reflection made me realize I had changed. Lisa had changed me. I used to be careless, not minding what people thought of me- spontaneous. Now? I didn’t know anymore.

“Hey! Hey, Zack!” a voice yelled from the right. I glanced over, shocked out of my trance. Lisa stumbled out of a nearby doorway, drink in hand. Her brunette hair was mussed, unintentionally tangled. Her mascara and lipstick were smudged over her face, but it didn’t look like she seemed to know it. She was wearing a short, blue dress matched with bright red heels. Even though she was drunk, she still managed to look beautiful. I rushed towards Lisa, taking her into my arms. She giggled, burping slightly.
“Lisa, Lisa!” I shook her shoulders. “How much have you drank?”
She swayed, a grin fixed onto her face.

“I don’t know, Zack… why don’t you tell me?” She blew into my face, her breath stinking of alcohol. I turned my face away from the smell, disgusted. Although I was well used to this by now, it never failed to surprise me how much alcohol Lisa could consume. She laughed again. I sighed.
“Let’s go home.” I said, hailing a taxi.
I was silent the whole journey. Lisa stared out of the car window drowsily, occasionally asking the stupid questions to the bulky driver. We drove across town, watching the parade of party goers as they moved from one flashy club to the next.

“Here ya’ go,” The taxi driver said, coming to a stop. “$11.50, buddy.”
I thrust petty cash into his hand, not caring if it was enough. A small motion in my peripheral vision made me look towards Lisa. Her face was pressed up against the fogged-up window, gentle breaths of hot air making small patches of evaporation. Lisa’s curvy body was spread out along the leather bench seats, limbs entangled in one another. I moved, grasping her ankles and sliding her out of the car.

“Tylenol,” the driver said, watching us. I pause.
“Excuse me?”
“Tylenol,” He repeats. “You should give her Tylenol,” he shrugged. “Helps.”
I narrowed my eyes, lifting Lisa out of the car. Her head lolled back.
“Thanks,” I said sarcastically. “But I can look after my girlfriend on my own.”
I slammed the door, pivoting to walk up the apartment block stairs.

As I struggled up the dark stairs, Lisa folded into my arms, guilt washed over me. I shouldn’t have taken out my anger on the taxi-driver. He was only trying to aid Lisa and myself. I clenched my fist, angry at myself. I needed to learn how to control it- the wild mood swing that occurred when no-one was around needed to be contained- not taken out on other people. I nudged the apartment door open, laying Lisa down on the soft, nearby bed. She did not stir.

I walked, tired, over to the French doors, sliding them wide open. They revealed a stunning city beyond; bright fluorescent lights shining into the emptied streets, tall buildings standing proud against the small, dingier ones, the Hudson River visible through the urban roads. I laid my forehead against the cold balcony railing, tears making their way up my throat. I didn’t deserve to be treated like this. Why did I allow myself to come into a situation where everyday was the same? Lisa partying, getting herself drunk, me carrying her home. I couldn’t live like this. I sank to the ground, my soft sobs echoing throughout the city sky.
♠ ♠ ♠
One of two. :)