Smother Your Pride

Νεκρός

The thing about being a god means that you live forever. Which necessarily isn’t a bad thing unless you’re bored. Most of the gods like Aphrodite find ways to entertain themselves. I mean, when you’re the goddess of love, you’re seldom bored. How is that possible when you’re off falling in ‘love’, having an affair or two and breaking hearts?

For Hermes, well that’s a different story. For someone who seldom stays still for long, he finds himself rushing through things and ending up with free time. Zeus did send him on missions such as rescuing Io from Argus when Hera found out about her. There was also the time he helped Odysseus escape from Calypso. His most time consuming job was shepherding those who had died to Hades, ruler of the underworld.

After being alive for 10,000 years he had watched the mortals grow and advance. In the year 2011 their means of entertainment was not going to a play but going to a movie. He usually stayed on Mount Olympus and ran errands for the gods who had stayed behind, but after a while he grew tired of that.

It was a sad thing that hardly anyone of them had remained. As time wore on, less and less believed in Greek Gods and in the current year, hardly one believed in their existence. The Gods of Mount Olympus were considered as myth instead of real. Many of them had spread across the world, exploring and settling down for mortals who had accepted them. Some, like Zeus and Hera, had stayed but the longer Hermes stayed, the more he wanted to leave.

Artemis was in New Orleans, Apollo in Russia and Aphrodite in Paris. Hermes delayed leaving his home in hopes that something interesting would happen, but at last set out on his own adventure to London. For the longest time, nothing happened. He grew tired of the dismal atmosphere and rain and had planned to leave for his home.

But the Fates were toying with him. It was their fault that while he was guiding souls to Hades he saw the most beautiful man he had ever laid eyes on and it was a shame he was dead.
♠ ♠ ♠
Dedicated to:
- asongaboutme