Status: Finished

You Don't Know What You Do to Me

It's a Love Story

“You will be going back to the University of Arizona in two weeks and that is final, Parker-Blaine.” My father said sternly. I had just dropped the “I’m-not-going-back-to-college” bombshell during family dinner. At least I had waited until two days after Christmas to tell everyone instead of telling them on Christmas. This was my father’s and my last night in Alabama so I figured I better get it over with and tell everyone I wasn’t going back to college. Needless to say, my father was not very happy.

“You know, Parker-Blaine, maybe you would like college better if you joined a sorority like me. I just love Delta Phi.” My cousin, Melissa, piped up.

I refrained myself from rolling my eyes and sarcastically said, “I don’t think a sorority is for me. Thanks for the suggestion though, Melissa.”

“I don’t understand why you don’t want to be in a sorority. Everybody who’s anybody in the south joins one.” Melissa said.

“Well, I’m not in the south am I?”

“You used to be. I’m so glad I don’t live in Arizona. You used to be a Southern Girl but now you won’t join a sorority and you hang out with those band boys. Thank goodness you still have some sense and do pageants.” Melissa said with a disgusted look.

I was about to tell Melissa she was just jealous because she’s never placed above fifth in a pageant whereas I’ve won many but my father interjected.

“I don’t care if you join a sorority or not Parker-Blaine, but you will go back. End of discussion.”

“I hate it there father. If you were around for more than five minutes you might know that.” I said with disdain.

“Parker-Blaine, dear, will you help me clean the table and wash the dishes?” My grandmother said while standing up.

I got up and quickly followed her; anything to escape the criticisms of my cousin and the wrath of my father.

“I’ll talk to your father, dear. You are 19 years old and old enough to make your own decisions. You’ll find your path in life, even if it’s different than what your father wants.” My grandma said as she handed me a towel so I could dry the dishes after she washed in them.

“Thanks grandma. I’m not saying I’ll never go to college. I’m going to go back eventually. I just need to figure out what I’m supposed to do in life and where I’m supposed to be. Believe me, University of Arizona was not for me.”

“I understand dear. Now how’s John? He’s such a lovely boy. Are you guys dating yet?” My grandmother said smiling at me.

“Grandma we’re just friends.” I said while trying not to blush.

“You can’t fool me Parker-Blaine. I see the look in your eyes when you talk about him. It’s the same look I had when I talked about your grandfather when I was younger. You know, boys can be slow sometimes. In fact, I had to become engaged to someone else before your grandfather realized that I was the person he wanted.” My grandmother said. We had been washing the dishes for about fifteen minutes and she was starting to look a little tired. I was becoming worried.

“Really? I never knew that. Why don’t you sit down and tell me the story?” I said while nudging her towards a chair. She looked really tired and I was getting really worried.

She finally sat down and began the story. “Well your grandfather and I didn’t have a conventional love story but it was a love story none-the-less. You see, we were pretty good friends. Not as good as you and John but good friends nonetheless. I had been in love with your grandfather for many years but he always swore that he would marry Stacy Carson. I eventually gave up on your grandfather and began dating a nice young man from a couple towns over. He eventually proposed and I said yes. At this point your grandfather was dating Stacy but was upset when he realized that I was engaged. One night he came to my house and told me that I couldn’t marry anyone else because he was in love with me. I broke it off with my fiancée which I felt bad about but we weren’t soul mates. Your grandfather and I married a year later and were in love for 60 years until he passed away. Not every day was happy but I still loved him. Your grandfather could make me so angry that I would want to leave. I never could though. Once you find someone you love that much you hold on to them not matter what.”

I just looked at my grandmother and said, “That’s adorable grandma. Thanks for telling me the story.”

“Anything for you dear. Now the lesson is that boys are slow and sometimes you need to give them a little shove for them to see that what they want is right in front of them. John will one day realize that you’re the one for him.”
______________________________________________________________

I have no clue what my grandmother said to convince my father to let me drop out of the University of Arizona but the next day when we were flying back home he looked at me and said, “Although I do not support your decision Parker-Blaine, you may take some time off of college if that’s what you really want.”

“It is dad. I promise I’ll go back to college someday. I just need to figure some things out first.”

I pulled out my phone and quickly texted John.

It took a lot of arguing, tears, and some help from my grandmother but my dad agreed to let me take some time off from college.Parker-Blaine

Seriously? That’s great! You get to go to the recording studio with us! PB&J are gonna party in L.A.!John

Aren’t you forgetting about the rest of the guys?Parker-Blaine

Oh yeah… they don’t count. They’re not my best friend, you are. Plus I’m glad that we’ll actually have someone pretty in the studio. I get tired of looking at dudes all the time.John

Wow, J. You are such a charmer :PParker-Blaine

I do what I can ;)John

I smiled to myself. I was ready for the new year. Not only had I escaped the evilness of the University of Arizona, I was also going to go with my best friends while they recorded their CD. Life was perfect and nothing could go wrong.
♠ ♠ ♠
So PB thinks nothing could go wrong... we'll see about that. It will probably be a few days before I can update again because I have tons of work to do this week but I'll update as soon as I can! Have a good week!