The Only Hope for Me Is You

Intro.

You never know what you’ve got until it’s gone.

This is a saying that has been used for decades, but it’s hard to comprehend the true meaning of those words until you’ve been in a situation where your very sanity has been threatened by fear of the unknown. I have been there, and in my case, this threat was manifested in the form of an increasingly common disease.

Cancer.

When I first met Kurtis, my young and unburdened heart was filled with hope that we would be together someday. For the several years before he became my boyfriend, every moment of my waking life was spent thinking and dreaming about him. He was perfect. Simply perfect. Everything about him brought a smile to my face.

Little did I know that before I ever got the chance to start my life with him, those beautiful hazel eyes would soon be filled with a kind of pain I had never anticipated having to deal with.

Kurtis was diagnosed with Stage IV Signet Ring Mucinoid Adenocarcinoma of the colon on April 16th, 2009. He had to be rushed to the emergency room, and went into emergency surgery to remove the baseball-sized tumor. The cancer was so advanced that they expected him to die in the ICU.

He beat the odds. In April of the next year, after intensive chemo, he went into remission. Our lives were slowly returning to normal and he and I were finally able to enjoy a normal teenage relationship.

This, unfortunately, was much more short-lived than I would have hoped. On January 26th, 2011, our lives changed forever. Again.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm trying to cope with this, so bear with me...thanks.