Status: One and Done

When Life Throws You Curves

1/1

Snow falls as two shadows cross the parking lot, hand in hand. The little girl grips her dad’s hand and teddy bear as the two walk to the cemetery. Snow crunches under their feet as they approach a headstone. The man crouches down and places roses by the stone then watches as his daughter puts the teddy bear down next to the flowers.

“That’s your favorite teddy Sky.” Shane says as his daughter latches on to his neck.

“I want mommy to have it.” She says as she lays her head down on his shoulder. He puts his arms around his daughter and pulls her close. Sitting down on the bench across from the headstone, Shane wraps his arms around his seven year older daughter. Looking into her eyes he sees his wife McKenzie starting back at him. “You look like Mommy. You’re very pretty like she was.” He says as he runs his hand over her head.

“Thank you daddy. Tell me a story about Mommy.” She says looking up at him. He nods his head and places a kiss on her forehead.

“A story about Mommy, how about when we met.” He replies.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

The season was set to start in two days. Practices were running longer in preparation for the season opener. After a bag skate, Shane O’Brien left the rink for the day. He made his way to his downtown Nashville apartment. As he pulled in his normal spot, he saw a girl carrying boxes into the building. She looked like she was struggling. Locking his truck and running to the door, the young girl dropped the box. Picking it up he handed it back to her.

“Thank you.” She says with a smile as she takes the box from him.

“No problem. You want some help? I live here.” He says holding the door for her.

“You wouldn’t mind? I’m trying to move in and have no one to help me.” She says walking in the door. Shane laughs and runs over to the elevator.

“It’s no problem. I’m Shane by the way.” He says as they get on the elevator.

“I’m McKenzie, third floor.” She says. Shane pushes the number three and waits.

“Where you moving from? “ He asks as the doors open on the third floor. The two walk off and down the hall. McKenzie stops at a door and puts the box on the floor. Fishing her keys out of her butt pocket she unlocks the door.

“Ohio, I’m transferring colleges. I’m a journalism major.” She pushes the box in the apartment then closes the door. “I want to be a sports journalist, cover hockey and baseball.” She says with a small smile.

“Hockey huh? You a fan?” He asks trying to see if she knows who he is. She laughs as the elevator stops.

“Yes I am Mr. O’Brien. Welcome to Nashville by the way.” She says as she looks at him. He smiles and watches as the doors close. The rest of the day the two sat in McKenzie’s apartment talking and unpacking. Months went by then one night after a game against the Maple Leafs, Shane finally asked McKenzie out.


“Mommy said yes?” Sky asks as she sits on her dad’s lap, interested in the story of how her parents met.

“Yes she did baby. She said yes then and yes again when I asked her to marry me.” He says with a smile remembering back to the day he asked McKenzie for her hand in marriage.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

It was the summer after the Predators lost the cup to the Penguins. Shane, McKenzie and his family were all hanging out at the lake back in Port Hope. McKenzie was talking to Shane’s mom when his little cousin Blake ran up to her and handed her a note. She opened it and red it out loud.

The heart lies by the water.

Putting the note down, McKenzie excused herself from the table and walked down the sidewalk to the dock. There at the end, down on one knee was Shane. Tears started to roll down her face as she got closer.

“McKenzie Rylie Lance, I have been in love with you since the moment I saw you struggling to open the door three years ago. You’ve had my heart for three years now. I can’t see myself with anyone else. Life with you has been nothing but wonderful. I look forward to coming home off the road just so I can see your beautiful face again. Will you make me the happiest man in the world and marry me?” Shane asks.

“What do you want to marry me for anyhow?” McKenzie asks just like Melanie Carmichael did in her favorite chick flick “Sweet Home Alabama.” Shane gets up off his knee and takes McKenzie’s face in his hands.

“So I can kiss you anytime I want.” He whispers as he places a kiss on her lips.

“Yes, I will marry you.” McKenzie replies as she cries. He opens the box and takes the ring out. Placing it on her finger, cheers and clapping can be heard behind the couple. The two share another kiss as family members take in the moment. A year later the two were married on that same dock, in front of family and friends.


“Then I came along!” Sky says with a smile. Shane nods his head and pulls her closer.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

”I swear to God if he does not get here soon I’m going to rip his dick off!” McKenzie says as she grips the side rails to her hospital bed. Nurses on both sides as her mom and mother-in-law stand by her head.

“He called me a minute ago. He’s on his way.” Shane’s mom says as she wipes McKenzie’s forehead. The doctor walks in and pulls the chair over. Putting his mask on, he lifts the blanket covering McKenzie’s lower body.

“Are we ready to do this?” The doctor asks. McKenzie starts to cry as she lays her head back. The door flies open revealing Shane in his Under Armour and shorts. A Stanley Cup championship hat sitting on his head.

“I’m here!” He says as he walks over to greet his wife. Tears roll down her face as she kisses him.

“You won the cup babe.” She says looking at his hat.

“We did, we did it baby. We won the cup.” He says crying.

“Sorry to break up this little celebration but your daughter wants to come out.” The doctor says. Grabbing Shane’s hand, McKenzie braces herself for this next step of life. After two hours of pushing, Skylar Megan O’Brien came into the world. As the proud parents sat that night taking in everything it dawned on them that today was their two year anniversary.

“Happy Anniversary babe.” Shane whispers as he places a kiss on her lips.

“Happy Anniversary Shane.” McKenzie replies as she holds her daughter. Life could not get better for the two. A new daughter, a Stanley Cup and two lovely years of marriage.


---------------------------------------------------------------------------

“When did Mommy get sick?” Skylar asks. Shane takes a deep breath and looks at the headstone.

“Two years ago. The doctors told her she was very sick and that she didn’t have long to live. Mommy left the doctor’s office and went shopping. She wasn’t sad that she was sick. As she was getting sicker, she told me that it was her time to go. She’d lived her life and God was calling for her. She said that there was nothing else she needed to do down here. She loved you so much Sky. Every day she spent with you she was so happy.” Shane tells his daughter. A tear rolls down her face as she looks at her mom’s grave. Moving off her dad’s lap she walks over and sits down.

“I love you Mommy, I hope you can hear me. I know you’re up in heaven watching over Daddy and I. I miss you, a lot.” She hugs the headstone and walks back over to Shane. “Let’s go home Daddy.” She grabs his hand and pulls him off the bench. Getting up, Shane stops for a minute in front of his wife’s head stone.

“I love you baby and always will.” Following behind his daughter, Shane O’Brien watched as his life walked in front of him. He had no regrets, life had been good to him. Walking back to the truck, the two shared a cry. Life had thrown the two a curve but they handled it pretty damn well.