Status: Pre-written chapters; I await comments.

Feeling of Escaflowne

5-The Rouge

~Gaea/Lexi’s POV~

We were all sitting in a nice sitting room of a fairly large castle. The cat-girl—Merle was staring at me curiously. Hitomi and the king guy—Van—were just sitting on a sofa thing, holding each other with their eyes closed and goofy smiles on their faces.

So that’s what true love looks like, I thought. It looked pretty dopey to me. All I could think was, I hope that never happens to me…

If it did, I was pretty sure I’d have killed myself.

“So,” Merle began, still looking at me, “who’re you?”

“I’m Lexi,” I muttered, glancing at her. Cat-girls. That was going to take some getting used to.

“Why’d you come with Hitomi?” she asked.

“She asked me to.” I shrugged. “Don’t ask why. We haven’t even known each other for a full day yet.”

“I always thought that girl was strange.”

“I’m gonna let that one slide,” Hitomi murmured, still smiling. “But only because I just got back.”

Then I smirked, remembering the flying journey and humming that song, I Believe I Can Fly by R Kelly. Merle had started giggling, probably thinking I was crazy, and that had set me off giggling.

Little did any of them know, I really was insane.

“Why did you bring her with, Hitomi?” Merle laughed, leaning forward in her seat.

“Because she was the one who told me Van was coming back for me.”

“How did she know?” she asked, looking back at me with a raised eyebrow.

“I’m weird like that,” I snapped, standing up to go over to a window. “End of story.”

“You’re not gonna tell them?” Hitomi murmured, and I felt her eyes boring into the back of my head.

“No. The only reason I told you was because it was absolutely necessary.”

Then I felt my eyes glazing over.

There was a man, tired and hungry, hoping for shelter at the castle. My mind was slipping away as I tapped into his.

Damn. How long has it been since I last ate? …two days…ugh, if I fell asleep, I’d probably be dead. Wait—there’s a castle! Maybe the king’s a nice guy. Maybe he’ll give me food…

I gritted my teeth and forced myself back, my mind rushing up and enfolding me.

“There’s someone at the gates,” I muttered, surprising the three people behind me.

“What are you—?” Van began, but then one of his guards burst into the room.

“Sir, there’s a rogue at the gates,” he said, all business. “He’s asking for food and shelter.”

I could pretty much see it written in Van and Merle’s eyes. They were clearly wondering how I knew the rogue was there.

“Let him in,” Van muttered. “I’ll see him in my throne room.”

†††

Now we were in the throne room, Van sitting under a large tapestry. Hitomi was standing next to him at his…well, he basically begged her to stand there. Merle and I were standing behind a tall post. A couple of guards led a black-haired man into the room, where they all bowed to Van.

I was just thinking, Damn! And then the rogue looked up and I saw his emerald green eyes and I couldn’t think at all…

Part of me knew him.

Then I heard people speaking.

“Who are you?” Van asked as Merle’s ears perked up.

“My name is Aubrey,” the rogue answered, and that deep sense of recognition flared again. Hadn’t that voice soothed me in my times of need? “I am a weary traveler. I haven’t eaten or slept for two days straight. I humbly ask for food and shelter for the night.”

Yes, I remembered now…

*Flashback*

I was in my bed, crying into my pillows. There was nothing left for me to live for. I just couldn’t face life anymore. How was I supposed to live now?

Then I heard a voice of reason, whispering in my ear.

You have a home, it breathed. You have a family who loves you. You have a warm bed. You have a guaranteed supply of food. Isn’t that enough for you to live for?

So I pulled myself together after that, remembering those words.

*End Flashback*

Aubrey…

Then I felt so small, standing next to the post. My heart pounded as I listened to the two of them talking.

“Why should I grant your request?” Van muttered, inconspicuously playing with Hitomi’s fingers.

“Because I could help you,” Aubrey answered, bowing his head a little more.

“You could just as easily betray me.”

My eyes widened when I realized that Van wasn’t likely to let him stay. But then Merle was running out.

“Lord Van!” she called, sitting at his feet. “I don’t think he’s gonna betray Fanelia. He’s in genuine need of shelter and food.”

“I don’t see why I should trust him, Merle,” Van grumbled, looking down at the cat-girl.

“Van,” Hitomi murmured, “I think you should listen to her. And—look at Lexi.”

I didn’t quite understand what was so special about me, and I didn’t really care enough to look at her. I couldn’t look away from Aubrey, the rogue that was somehow my voice of reason.
♠ ♠ ♠
OK, I'M GETTING A LITTLE IRRITATED. Yes, Vision of Escaflowne is an old, obscure anime. Yes, my fan-fiction isn't the greatest thing in the world. BUT I GET THE NOTION THAT SOMEONE OUT THERE ACTUALLY LIKES IT!!!!!! SO, COME ON, GIVE ME A FREAKING COMMENT!!!!!!!!!! NO MORE CHAPTERS UNTIL I GET ONE FREAKING COMMENT SAYING ANYTHING ABOUT MY STORY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

~E.A.G.