She Will Be Loved

.06

Two hours later and Val had me feeling like I had just run a marathon. I let out an exaggerated sigh as I fell into a chair at the food court. At least twenty bags, probably more, fell in a heap around the chair. And those were only my bags. Val laughed, carefully placing her bags on the ground too.

“Oh come on, it wasn’t that bad,” Val laughed. I glared sticking out my tongue. “How about this? I treat you to some cheese pizza and a Vitamin Water?”

“You got yourself a deal,” I agreed with a wide grin. Out of all she learned today Val learned the way to my stomach. She walked away with a slight bounce in her step. I let out a sigh, sinking down in my seat. I began to let my eyes roam around the food court. It was pretty busy for a Friday morning.

“Who are you?” I snapped around to see some woman standing behind me. She had a mixture of light and dark brown hair and hazel eyes poised in a glare. She had three bags in each hand and was dressed as if she oozed money. I simply raised an eyebrow at her. “What, you mute?”

“No, I’m just trying to figure out why a bitch such as yourself is trying to figure out who I am,” I replied casually. I didn’t like to be a bitch, but there was no way in hell I was going to let some stranger glare at me when I haven’t done anything.

“I would be careful who the fuck you’re talking to,” this unnamed woman growled. As I opened my mouth to snap something back a voice called out through the food court.

“Michelle? What are you doing here?” I looked over to see Val within a few feet of the table, carrying a bottle cradled in each elbow and a plate holding a slice of pizza in each hand. This ‘Michelle’ girl took a slight step back as Val placed the food on the table. I looked back and forth between the angered Val and timid Michelle.

“Hey sis. How have you been?” My eyebrow, which I had just lowered, was sticking up high again. Sister? There is no way.

“Stop fucking around Michelle. What are you doing here?” Val repeated, obviously not amused with her attempt at small talk. Michelle laughed, waving her hand as if this was some big joke instead of serious hatred.

“I’m shopping silly.”

“No, what are you doing here?” Val motioned towards the table I was tensely sitting at as she asked the question a third time. Michelle’s face formed into an ‘o’ expression before she went back to smiling.

“I was just saying hello to your new friend. I don’t remember her,” Michelle replied as her eyes studied me. Val took her secret hinting and glared.

“You wouldn’t know her, nor do you need to know her.” Michelle looked at her sister flabbergasted. “I’m going to have to ask you to leave Michelle. My friend and I would like to eat and then head home.”

“Why do you have to be like that Val?” The blonde’s death glare was like the unspoken answer I couldn’t hear. Michelle sighed and flicked her hair over her shoulder. “Fine, I’ll go since you’re still holding that silly grudge. Bye sis. Tell Brian I said hi.”

I watched as Michelle walked away, her hips swaying as she walked. Val breathed deeply out her nose, settling into the seat across from me. She slid over my slice of pizza and XXX Vitamin Water. It was silent for a few minutes as we began to eat our lunch. Finally Val sighed causing my eyes to look up at her. She was leaned back in her chair, staring off into the crowd on the level below us.

“Maybe I should explain.”

“You don’t have to if you don’t want to,” I interjected. Val looked over at me and smiled.

“No, you might as well find out sometime. If you’re going to be living with us it might be useful to know some of the past.” I stayed quiet which was Val’s cue to continue. “Sadly, that was my sister. Twin sister in fact.”

“No way.” I couldn’t stop myself from having that slip out. I winced, sending an apologetic look. She just waved it off.

“Don’t worry I think the same sometimes. She wasn’t always like that. She was actually just like me and everyone else when we were in high school. When Zack and everyone started to get big and gained more money, something in her just snapped. She became greedy, always wanting or needing something expensive. Brian thought he loved her so he complied. Hell, he was going to marry her.”

I winced, pretty sure I knew where this was going. I hoped I was wrong.

“He had bought the ring, had already come to see Matt and I for approval of it. Brian was always one to need Matt and I’s opinion. Once all the marriages went through we would have all been brothers and sisters legally. He headed home to find her missing. She had taken her things, some of his things, and his car. She left a note just saying she had bigger dreams and he couldn’t ‘fit her lifestyle’. She left for L.A..

“There she ended up marrying some snob from our old high school that had become a lawyer. She jumped at the chance for more money. He was heartbroken. He locked himself up in his room for hours and no one could get through. Finally we busted down the door to find him bleeding in his bathtub with the word ‘betray’ on his arm. It took a toll on our whole dysfunctional family.”

“My God, Brian,” I murmured, tears burning my eyes. I know just three hours ago I hated him, but now I felt horrible for thinking anything but nice things about him.

“Yeah, he’s still pretty fucked up about it. Really all of the climatic parts of this story was only three months ago. We didn’t think he would pull out of it this well in such a short amount of time. I had heard a rumor Michelle was in town, but I was hoping it was a lie. I swear, if she even tries to get close to Brian again - ” Val’s hands that rested on the table clenched into fists and she grinded her teeth together. I stayed silent, unsure of what to say. She finally let out a slow breath before opening her eyes. “Sorry I just, ugh. I can’t see how she ended up like that.”

“I can’t truly blame you,” I muttered, thinking of my father. I quickly shrugged it off, taking a sip out of my bottle.

“So do you have any siblings Kota?” I looked back up to see Val taking a bite of her pizza slice. I let my hands fall in my lap and twiddle my fingers as I looked into the distance. “You don’t have to talk about it if you don’t want to.”

“Nah, it’s fine. You shared something so now it’s my turn.” I took a breath, shutting my eyes to remember everything clearer. “I had a little sister, but I barely remember her. I was only seven when she was born. Shortly after that my mum gave up dealing with my father’s shit. I was attached to his hip so she left with my little sister back to England where my mum grew up. My father became one of those lazy alcoholics and we just stopped getting along.”

I opened my eyes to see Val give me a stare that let me know she knew that wasn’t just it. That I was leaving out the details I didn’t want her to know. But instead of pressing the subject she just smiled. “What was your sister’s name?”

“Jocelyn Marie. You should have seen here. She was the cutest bundle of joy ever. She was only one when my mum finally left, but she was the cutest kid ever. I think she could have won a baby pageant.” Val smiled even wider as I began to ramble about my little sister. I blushed, cutting myself off in mid sentence. “Sorry. I must seem like some kind of freak.”

“No, I think it’s cute. You really love your sister, huh?” I nodded.

“She was the thing that made me feel like I had a real big importance. And then when she left I kind of felt like I had been denied the chance to really make a difference.” My mouth turned down into a small frown as I remembered the memory of my mum riding away in a taxi without ever looking back.

“Did you ever seen either of them again?” Val asked curiously.

“My mum, no. And my sister, not in person. Once a year, on her birthday, mum would send a picture to our house. Sadly there was never a return address so I was always without a way to send one back. I figured maybe mum would want to see how I looked, but I guess not. But when I was fifteen she stopped sending the pictures. Guess she got tired of taking the time away from her life.”

I felt a hand on mine which made me look up. Val gave me a soft smile, patting my hand. “Well I want to tell you this now, your mother is missing out on a hell of a lot. You’re a great kid and it’s her loss.”

“Thanks Val.” She nodded, leaning back. She looked at her watch and gasped.

“Crap, the party needs to be set up for.”

“Party?” I echoed, watching her stand and toss out her pizza crust and empty water bottle. She nodded as I stood and followed suit.

“We’re having some friends coming over to celebrate. A welcome home party I guess you could say.”

“Oh fun,” I muttered, picking up my bags. Did I ever mention I’m not a party kind of girl? No? Well shit.
♠ ♠ ♠
By the way, this is what the pool area looks like.

You people are fucking amazing: Jay Shadowz xo, Violent Ecstasy, AlixInWonderland, KellShadows, angy_kaulitz, and avenged7x. This was kind of a filler, more for just background on Michelle/Brian and Dakota. And no, I have nothing against Michelle. I just needed her to be a bitch for the story. Same goes for Gena whenever we hear more about her. So comments? Who do you think is going to be at the party?(: