Status: Complete!

How to Live

Baby

“And now your Valedictorian Lukas Robert Ryan.” the Principal said. I took a deep breath getting up from my chair with the rest of my fellow student cheering me on. I had done it all. I was class president, I was in the drama club and I played hockey. Not to mention I was a transfer student.

I cleared my throat standing in front of the mic. I looked to the crowd spotting my Mom and Dad and looked to the choir and saw my little sister. I looked to them all because they all had helped me get to this point in some way. They all had mentions in my original speech but the Principal. My Mom for carting me around to everything and making sure I was always on time and I always had my home work done. My Sister for always telling me when I was being awful at something including my failed attempt at t-ball when we were little or the time I attempted to join choir. This was about my Dad though.

“I think a lot of you know my Dad.” A good chunk of the audience gave a cheer since my Dad had started his career here in Newport. “He’s a lot to live up to. I’m not talking about the silver and gold Olympic medals he has in our den or the Stanley cup his name is inscribed upon. What you don’t know is that he’s supported me all my life in everything I’ve ever attempted to do. He was there when I got cracked in the head with a bat playing t-ball. He took me fishing a million times when I was obsessed with sharks, he was there when I had my first girlfriend to give me advice. He picked me up at my first school dance even though he had just finished a playoff game. These are all things every Dad does and are normal. What you should know is that my Dad isn’t normal. He’s the best man I’ve ever known. He never ever once told me how one goes about living life. He never made any demands upon me only challenged me to be my best. He leads out family by example and I will always strive to do the same in my life.

I found this great quote that describes it perfectly. “He didn't tell me how to live; he lived, and let me watch him do it. Clarence Budington Kelland said this. Clarence and I are a lot alike. We’re good at some stuff but not the best at most things. Clarence described himself as the best second rate writer in all of America. I know someday I’ll be the second best father in the world because my Dad is the best.” I heard the principal clear her throat encouraging me to wrap things up quickly. “In short we all have someone who has shown us how to live so today on our graduation day I want to challenge all my friends and classmates to thank those people in our lives. It’s only right since we’ve made it thus far the people who made that possible deserve to be thanked.” I shuffled my papers smiling. “Thank you everyone it has been an honor and privilege learning with all of you.”

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Oh Luke you did such a good job.” My Mom said crashing into me her hugs always tighter than I think humanly possible. She always seemed to have super strength when it came to hugs.

“Thanks Mom. I’ll read you the rest at home. I had to cut it down a lot.” I said hugging her back.

My Sister approached her dark eyeliner and emo look flawless without the choir rode covering her clothes. “Hey Bro, I’m really glad you didn’t embarrass me since I have two more years here and all.” She gave me the most awkward hug in the world but I didn’t care for the first time in weeks we were about ready to punch one another.

“Where’s Dad?” I asked looking around.

“Oh he got caught up. He’ll be right out. You know how it happens.” My Mom said with a shrug.

I nodded knowingly as friends approached all of us wanting to take as many pictures as possible.

Once the crowd cleared I spotted my Dad standing on his own at the end zone nearest the parking lot. He was just standing there his hands in his pockets looking around. I headed toward him my cap and diploma with Mom. We were going to have a moment here and I knew it.

“You did great Buddy.” My Dad said his clear blue eyes matching my own.

I just shrugged my own hands in my pockets unknowingly mimicking his stance.
“I think you gave me far to much credit. I wasn’t always the best Dad. In fact the first few years of your life I was flat out terrible.” he confessed. “I don’t think you’ll remember it but when you were three, just a few weeks past your birthday really your Mom made us all go to the beach. I was really messed up. Depressed really and seeing you there trying so hard to make me feel better I made a promise to myself to be a better Dad.” he said slowly walking, leading be towards the rest of our family near the exit.

“I kind of remember. Mom has some pictures from that day and she always says it was the day everything it changed. I think I remember the pictures more than anything though.” I confessed.

“It was the day everything changed.” he said pausing letting me get a step ahead of him. He clapped his hand down on my shoulder holding me in place. “Luke you’re going to be the most amazing man to walk the earth. I know I’ve told you a million times but you can be anything you want to be.”

I smiled nodding. “I know Dad. Everyone says that to us, by us I mean my fellow classmates and I. I feel like I’m one of the few who can actually believe it. I know because of you and Mom and Katie behind me I really can do anything.”

He pulled me into a hug and not the kind of obligation man hug a lot of fathers and sons get sucked into but a real hug a hug that left me feeling supported and that I really could do anything I put my mind.

“I love you Luke.” he said before letting go.

“I love you too Dad.” we walked on towards Mom and Katie. “Hey Dad I have a question.”

“Anything buddy.” he said as we hit the track around the field on the way out.

“How hard is it to not make a Star Wars joke about being my Dad?”

He laughed a grin spreading wide on his face. “I struggle with it everyday. After all, Luke, I am your Father.”

Like I said, My Dad taught me everything I needed to know in life by example, he showed me how to live... and how to make star wars jokes.
♠ ♠ ♠
Wowzers. I really enjoyed working on this and I'm really shocked to see so many people reading it! I'd love it if you took a moment to let me know what you think.