Both Sides of the Story

1

“You had better get up. You have work in ten minutes.” my mom’s voice called to me. I cracked my eyes open to look at the clock.

“No, I have to be up in ten minutes.” I responded, not willing to move out of the warm covers of my bed. She gave me a stern look from my doorway before noisily making her way back down the stairs. I stretched my arms above my head before laying back down and staring at the glow in the dark stars that were on my ceiling.

I watched as the red numbers on my clock slowly changed, wishing that they would just stop so I could stay in between my warm sheets. When the ten minutes had finally disappeared into the past I threw my sheets off my body and lazily made my way to my closet. I rubbed my eyes with the palm of my hand before pulling out a gray shirt and some skinny jeans.

“Carla Jo! Are you awake?!” My mother yelled from downstairs.

“Yes!” I yelled back, rolling my eyes and stripping out of my pajamas. I slipped my bra back on and then opened my dresser around and fished around for some panties. I started to hum to myself while getting dressed.

“Are you ready to leave?” she called a few minutes later.

“Just about.” I replied back, a hint of an annoyed tone touched my voice while I spread eyeliner on my lower lid. I put some mascara on my top lashes and then grabbed my aunt’s old ring and my heart bracelet before slipping my vans on and running down the stairs. “Can I drive myself?”

She gave me a stern look before placing the keys to the van in my hand. “You be careful.”

“I always am.” I answered, kissing her cheek and slipping the key chain onto my pointer finger.

“You come straight home after work!” she called to me as I walked out the door.

“Yeah yeah,” I replied, shutting the door and pressing the button to unlock the van. I slid into the drivers seat and checked the mirrors before reversing out of our driveway and taking the fifteen minute drive. Once I was in the parking lot I slipped my jewelry on and looked at myself in the rear view mirror. “It’s only four hours. Only four hours.” I repeated a few times before opening the door and walking inside.

“Carla!” Stephen, my boss, called to me as I walked in.

“Hey.” I smiled, bee lining to him. “What’s up?”

“You have someone to train today.” he said with a grin that caused wrinkles to form from the edge of his nose down to the corner of his mouth. “His name is Caleb and he just started today.”

“Why didn’t I know about this before?” I asked with a sigh. He just shrugged before pointing to a kid with red hair standing helplessly behind the register trying to open it with one hand and the customer’s money in the order. “Oh Jesus.” I mumbled, quickly jogging up and sliding over the counter.

He looked up at me as I did so, his mouth slightly hanging open and his brown eyes wide. “Help.” he whispered. I chuckled lowly before quickly pressing the button to open the register and pulling the money from his hand.

“Out of twenty.” I said, pulling out a ten a five and a one. “Your change is sixteen eighty eight.” I placed the bills into the woman’s hand and quickly got the change. “Have a nice day.” I smiled, shutting the register. She just nodded her head, slipped two bills into the tip jar and moved down the line.

“Thank you.” Caleb said with a sigh. “I can’t believe I didn’t know what I was doing.”

“It’s fine.” I smiled at him. “You’re new, it’s going to happen. Think you can handle the next one while I go punch in and get my apron?” I asked him. He just gulped but nodded his head. I patted his shoulder before jogging into the back.

I clocked in and threw my apron over my head, quickly tying it in back before leaning against the wall and letting out a happy sigh. “he’s so freaking cute.” I mumbled, sneaking a look at his confused face through the door. Quickly, I pushed myself off the wall and walked back out to him. “Doing okay?” I asked, even though I knew that he wasn’t.

“No.” He mumbled, punching in a man’s order. “I’m sorry what did you ask for again?” the guy let out a frustrated breath before repeating his order. I watched as Caleb’s long fingers pressed the buttons, causing the register to beep.

I sighed before pushing him out the way and entering the guys order. “$4.52 please.” I said with a smile.

“At least someone here knows how to work the register.” he mumbled while pulling out his wallet and handing me a five. Quickly made his change and handed it to him.

“It’s his first day. Cut him a break.” I said, watching as Caleb hung his head. “Your order will come up down the counter.”

“Thank you.” Caleb said from behind me. I quickly turned to face him and smiled.

“It’s no problem. Gotta help my co-workers.” I answered with a wink.

He smiled playfully back. “When do you get off work?” he asked, biting his lip.

“In four hours.” his face seemed to brighten up a bit. “But I told my ma that I’d go home straight after work. Don’t wanna get the van taken away from me again.” I told him, playing with my hands.

“Oh.” He frowned, looking away.

“Sorry.” I told him. “How about I teach you how to actually use the register?” I asked, grabbing his forearm and pulling him towards it.
♠ ♠ ♠
Comment please and thank you.