M.A.R.

Chapter 11

“What are you doing here? You’re early!” Ritsuka’s surprised smile broke through the dark trees.

Ami could feel her heart tear apart. She couldn’t stand anymore smiles. Without thinking, she ran into Ritsuka’s arms and sobbed into his chest. She was so angry, so disgusted, and so full of regret at herself.

“A-Ami?! Why are you wet?” He stammered, startled by her sudden break-down. But the cold water didn’t stop him from holding her closer.

All Ami did was continue crying in his chest as she did yesterday, and then, guiltily realizing what she was doing, pushed herself away from his undeserved hug. “I’m s-s-sorry.” She hiccupped as she feverishly rubbed the tears from her eyes. “I b-b-brought food-d-d.” she pointed to the, now soaked, basket of sandwiches on the sand as she continued to wipe the tears away, trying to change the subject.

Ritsuka shot her a disapproving look as he removed her hands from her face. “What did I tell you? You don’t ever have to be sorry to me.” He reminded her with a gentle smile as he pulled her back into his arms. Ami quieted her sobs, taking the hug she still didn’t deserve. She felt sick inside. She felt like the worst type of person to be.

They stood there quietly in each other’s arms, basking in the hot afternoon sun and listening to the calming waves.

“Say it…” Ami foolishly whispered without any self control. Her cheeks burned up at the statement she just involuntarily made and she hid her face away in his chest.

“What?” Ritsuka asked, not being able to hear through her muffles.

“Say it.” She thoughtlessly repeated in a louder voice.

Ritsuka shifted on his feet at the realization of what she meant, his grip neither loosening nor tightening, as he let the silence between them drag on for what seemed forever. Ami’s throat clenched up, trying to hold back the massive sob that was dying to escape from her lips. She was afraid he wasn’t going to say it. Her mind raced with the thought of pushing Ritsuka away and running off back to Rebecca until…

“I love you…” he stated confidently.

She jolted her head up and found his smiling face. Taken aback by him actually saying it, she let the sob escape from within her, tears following close behind.

“I always have loved you,” he leaned down and gently kissed her forehead, “And I always will.” He smiled against her forehead, his velvety smooth lips gently pressed on her brow. He cupped her face with his hand, rubbing away the tears with his thumb.

Ami smiled as she wrapped her arms around his chest, gripping the clothes on his back. She felt him laugh against as he moved his arm back around her shoulder. His warm body felt so good against her wet, cold, one. Ami felt so thankful to have Ritsuka. So lucky and blessed.

But, at the same time, everything spiraled downward. Could she bring herself to say the same thing? After saying all of that to Mitsukuni and now Ritsuka… What does she do now? Does he expect her to say it back? Her smile flipped as she pulled her face away from him, turning towards the ground again.

“I don’t expect you to say it back, you know.” Ritsuka’s statement broke the silence, but that wasn’t what startled Ami. Did he just say what she thought he said? “I don’t expect you to just love me overnight…” he went on, his voice cold yet painfully understanding and truthful. “Ami,” his tone didn’t change, but the aura around him was suddenly serious. “There’s someone else, isn’t there?”

Ami gasped, her eyes wide open, her heart numb. The tears continued falling down her face at a break-neck pace. The only words going around in her mind was ‘How?’

Her silence was the only horrid answer he needed. Ritsuka knew it was true ever since the morning he had found her on the beach. With sudden anger pulsing through his veins, Ritsuka clenched his teeth and pulled the sobbing girl closer to him if possible.

Ami winced as he spoke the words she so honestly wished she would never have to hear so confidently from him.

“I will make you love me more.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Short. :) Comment? <3