Status: New :)

More Than Alive

chapter two.

“I’m here to see the Jone’s family.” I asked the nurse sitting at the front desk dressed in a friendly pair of scrubs with zoo animals printed on them.

“Room 413.” She replied with a smile and handed me visitor pass that was purple and had a smile printed on it in black ink.

“Thanks.” I mumbled as a slowly walked to the elevator rubbing my palms together and twirling my thumbs.

My middle finger slowly reached ahead of me gently pressing the up arrow button on the wall that lit up at my touch. The elevator doors squeaked open as I stepped inside pressing the button with a number four boldly colored on it. The elevator was full of hand prints of what I assumed were patients or workers.

A ride that seemed to take forever which was only seconds came to a halt as the elevator reached its final destination, the fourth floor. My Supra’s gently hit the floor as I made my way down the brightly painted hallway to room 413.

I came to a stop as the door to the room was in front of me. Slowly I pulled my hand up from my side and formed a fist. Taking a deep breath I lightly hit my knuckles against the wood door creating a thud at each point of contact. After three knocks I heard stirring from the room and the sliver door knob began to twist open.

“Justin, thank you for coming she is in there.” Shay said quietly inviting me into the room.

“Uh okay.” I nodded slowly stepping further into the room. I continued to walk into the room until I stood in front of the balding girl with chapped lips sitting in a hospital bed with a iv needle sticking into any open part of flesh on her.

“Hey there Danielle!” I said with a smile spreading from cheek to cheek.”I heard you couldn’t come to my concert tonight because you sister over there contacted me and told me you were a huge fan.”

“YES! Oh my goodness! I cannot believe this! Shay, thank you so much! Oh my goodness! You’re really here!” She cheered in disbelief and joy.

“Yes, it’s really me.” I said kneeling down next to her bed holding her hand.

“Thank you Justin.” She whispered to me softly with tears forming in her eyes.

“Sweetie please don’t cry! You should be happy not sad!” I said wiping a tear that had fallen from her hazel eyes off her rosy cheek. “What is your favorite song? I will sing it for you.” I said sitting up next to her.

“I like Pray.” She said trying to push herself up to sit next to me. Her mom rushed to her side and helped her up.

“Okay. This one is for you.” I said adjusting myself to face her before I started to sing.

“I just can't sleep tonight
Knowing that things ain't right
It's in the papers, it's on the TV, it's everywhere that I go
Children are crying, soldiers are dying, some people don't have a home

But I know there's sunshine behind that rain
I know there's good times behind that pain
Hey, can you tell me how I can make a change?

I close my eyes and I can see a brighter day
I close my eyes and pray
I close my eyes and I can see a better day
I close my eyes and pray


Slowly licking my lips I took a look around the room. Shay was in denial but she was singing along softly, their mother was in hysterics, as well as Danielle. All this crying was going to make me cry. A touching song touching a family. That is why I do what I do. This is the moments that I live for.

I lose my appetite knowing kids starve tonight
Am I a sinner, 'cause my dinner is still on my plate?
Ooh I got a vision to make a difference
And it's starting today
'Cause I know there's sunshine behind that rain
I know there's good times behind that pain
Can you tell me how I can make a change?
I close my eyes and I can see a brighter day
I close my eyes and pray
I close my eyes and I can see a better day

I close my eyes and pray for the brokenhearted
I pray for the life not started
I pray for all the ones not breathing
I pray for all the souls in need
I pray, can you give 'em one today?

I just can't sleep tonight
Can someone tell me how to make a change?
I close my eyes and I can see a brighter day
I close my eyes and pray
I close my eyes and I can see a better day
I close my eyes and I pray, I pray, I pray
I close my eyes and pray, pray.”
I sang holding out that last note that was completed by a sniffle.

“That was amazing!” Danielle squeaked as she clapped her clammy hands together and the rest of her visiting clan joined in.

“Oh even Shay liked it!” I winked in her direction, hey i’m seventeen, I like girls, and I’m a flirt, what can I say?

“Shut it Bieber!” She snapped and crossed her arms returning to her spot in the corner of the room.

“Where is your dad?” I asked Danielle trying to keep a nice conversation going. “Is he working?”

“He doesn’t like me.” She said blankly, almost as if this is normal for her to be asked.

“I’m sure he loves you.” I said in a reassuring voice.

“But he left me mommy and shay!” She said.

“I’m sorry baby. My dad did the same thing to my mom and I when I was about one and a half and we were living on food stamps and in a basement of an old apartment building. Don’t let him bring you down. You are going to stand up and show him how strong he made you and how he will regret the decision that he made to leave your family for someone ‘better’ but I don’t think there is anyone better than your first marriage or love. There is a reason why you love them for the first time. He is probably handling difficult on the side of a road right now wishing that he had stayed with this wonderful family of yours.” I ranted to her.

“I never thought of it that way.” She said, “Thank you.”

I smiled and embraced her in a hug. “You’re welcome.” I mumbled into her hair rocking slowly back and forth.
♠ ♠ ♠
sorry for the long time no update