Status: Workin' on gettin' the 13th chapter out there.

Changed Directions

The Date

Rachel tugged Quinn towards a deep red car parked on the curb.

Her eyes widened. “Is that a Porsche?!”

The club owner’s lips quirked up in a small smirk. “This is my baby. Pleather interior and runs on vegetable oil.”

“Vegetable oil?”

“I learned a lot about mechanics while in the Air Force.” Rachel pulled open the passenger door, offering a seat to Quinn. A blush colored the blonde’s cheeks as she slid into the car. Shutting the door, Rachel slipped around and into the driver’s seat.

“Nice to know chivalry isn’t dead quite yet.”

The brunette smiled; placing the car in drive, she grabbed Quinn’s hand and intertwined their fingers. The ex-HBIC’s blush deepened, and she ducked her head.

Aw, is womanizer Fabray feeling a little shy?

Ugh. Ruin the moment much?

That’s my job.


Fingers slipped from her own, only to quickly press an iPod (hooked up to the car’s stereo) into her hand. “Feel free to choose whatever.”

“Wow, Rachel Berry giving up control of the music? Pinch me, I must be dreaming.”

Rachel glanced at her date and raised an eyebrow. “Well, I could just take that back and blast Barbara Streisand for the hour and a half we have to drive.” She reached for the device, but it was snatched out of reach. Rachel chuckled as Quinn stuck her tongue out. “Very mature, Fabray.”

See; Rachel agrees with me.

Quinn ignored her subconscious, focusing on Rachel’s extensive music collection. Catching sight of a song she hadn’t seen in nearly five years, she grinned. Pressing the touch screen, her smile grew as the sound of twelve pairs of feet stomping in rhythm filled the car.

Twenty-two year old Rachel sang along side the recording of her seventeen year old self.

Yeah, you may think that I'm a zero
But, hey, everyone you wanna be
Probably started off like me

You may say that I'm a freakshow
(I don't care)
But, hey, give me just a little time
I bet you're gonna change your mind

All of the dirt you've been throwin' my way
It ain't so hard to take, that's right
‘Cause I know one day you'll be screamin' my name
And I'll just look away, that's right


Quinn joined the brunette at the chorus.

Just go ahead and hate on me and run your mouth
So everyone can hear
Hit me with the worst you got and knock me down
Baby, I don't care
Keep it up and soon enough you'll figure out
You wanna be
You wanna be
A loser like me
A loser like me


“God, I haven’t heard this in forever.” Quinn spoke over Finn’s verse. “How did you even get a recording of this?”

“I asked my dads to record our competition pieces, and then made them into tracks. Actually, I personally recorded quite a few of our non-competition pieces also.” She grabbed the iPod and flipped to a playlist, handing it back to Quinn.

She was amazed to see over two hundred of the songs New Directions, and individual members, had sung. “Wow… That’s kinda awesome.”

“All you guys were amazing, I just wanted to be able to capture it all.”

“Us? How about you? You were our star, and you saved our asses more than once. ‘Loser Like Me’ was great, but it wouldn’t have been enough without ‘Get It Right’.”

“Well, I have you to thank for the inspiration. Speaking of which, I want to thank you for that. I didn’t then because I was being completely obtuse.” She blushed. “What you said was actually what kept me going after my injuries; your words and the need to still prove to everyone from high school that I would make something of myself.” Stopping in a toll booth line, Rachel turned towards Quinn, cupping her cheek. “I am also glad that you didn’t settle like you seemed convinced you would have to. You were too special to be a Lima Loser, and you definitely still are. Besides, where would pop culture be without Quinn Fabray’s amazing photography skills?” Quinn pulled her into a kiss, capturing Rachel’s bottom lip. It took several horn honks to break them apart. “Wow. I should complement you more often, if that’s the reaction I get.”

Quinn rolled her eyes playfully. “Just drive, Rach.”

………………………………………………………………………………………

They spent the next hour playing different songs from their Glee Club days and reminiscing on the memories that came with each one. Finally Rachel turned into a dirt driveway, and pulled up to an older looking wooden cabin. The walls seemed to blend in with the trees surrounding it.

“What is this place?” Quinn whispered, exiting the car to look around.

“I found it while searching for a quiet, secluded place to get drunk off my ass and mope. After the subsequent hangover, I asked around to find out who owned the place. It was this older couple. I asked them if I could buy it from them. I said I didn’t want to change it at all, it was perfect just as is, and I would make sure it was kept in good condition; they said yes. Now it’s my escape spot.” She pulled open the trunk of the car, grabbing a blanket and basket. “I was considering having us stay the night, but it is only the first date. So instead I’ll show you the other reason I bought this place.”

Linking their hands together, Rachel pulled Quinn towards a sandy path that went behind the cabin and down a small set of stone steps. Reaching the bottom stone, Quinn gasped at the sight before her; a small stretch of beach lead to a large, beautiful pond. The sun was setting, spreading a blaze of rainbow colors over the water. Midway between the woods and the pond was a single tree next to a small fire pit, already set up with wood and newspaper. Rachel was quick in coaxing out and building the flame. Spreading the blanket by the fire, she laid out food from the basket. Sitting back against the tree, she pulled Quinn down in front of her, resting the blonde’s back against her front.

“Rachel, this is amazing. You must’ve put so much time into this.”

The singer just smiled. “You’re worth it.”

They spent two hours catching up on each others lives - where Quinn went to college, how Rachel had started her club, etc. – and stealing kisses. Finally, the fire died out, leaving only a few embers to be buried under the sand. Helping Quinn up, Rachel collected the food containers, basket and blanket and led them back to the car.

………………………………………………………………………………….

On the drive home, Quinn searched through other of Rachel’s playlists and found one containing soft jazz. Hitting play, she placed the iPod in the cup holder and laced her fingers through the brunette’s. Both women smiled softly at the contact and the comfortableness of the silence surrounding them.

Reaching the Unholy Trinity’s apartment, Rachel once more opened Quinn’s door and helped her to her feet. Stopping at the door, Rachel pulled Quinn into a slow, deep kiss, licking across the blonde’s lip begging for entrance that was immediately granted. Breaking away breathlessly, the singer placed Quinn’s hand to her lips, kissing each knuckle softly.

“Goodnight, Quinn.”

Quinn grabbed her in a quick, slightly chaster kiss and whispered a goodnight against her lips. Both women went to bed that night with content smiles on their faces and fluttering butterflies filling their stomachs.
♠ ♠ ♠
This chapter is dedicated to my faithful reader Tsuna13 on DeviantArt, for her birthday today!

A/N: Don’t own Glee or any songs used.

A/N2: Just so you know, it IS possible to build or remodel a car to run on vegetable oil, my friend did it to his.

A/N3: Quinn’s Subconscious in BOLD and italics, Quinn’s thoughts in italics, song lyrics is in BOLD

Hope you like their date!

I know it isn’t exactly very long (though it is one of the longest chapters for this fic!), but I hope the Faberry fluff makes up for it at least a little bit. *crosses fingers*

Reviewing Makes My Day!!