Status: Workin' on gettin' the 13th chapter out there.

Changed Directions

Broken Ribs

"Quinn, sit your ass down." Santana told the woman pacing back and forth across the hospital waiting room. "Berry's in surgery to set her ribs, not dying." Quinn flinched, never ceasing in her pacing.

Brittany elbowed her girlfriend in the side. "You're not helping with comments like that." Santana had called the blonde dancer on the way to the hospital, and she joined them after closing the dance studio. Kurt and the three women were now waiting for Rachel to get out of surgery. Puck had been there, but left, per his boss' instructions, in order to prep the club for reopening the next day. Sarah had also waited with them, but was forced to leave to catch a flight back home to San Francisco.

Kurt stood and stepped in front of Quinn. Grabbing her shoulders, he forced her to stop and look at him. "Quinn, Rachel's going to be okay."

"She passed out in the ambu-" Quinn began, before being cut off.

"I understand that, hon. But the doc told us that none of the ribs splintered, meaning no internal bleeding. All she'll need is a day or two off her feet and a brace. Alright?" Quinn searched the man's eyes, before nodding slightly. Teeth pulling at her lower lip gave away the anxiety still flowing through her body. Kurt pulled the blonde to a chair, pushing her into it. "And, you know that Rachel will be upset if you worry yourself to death about her. Then I'll get a huge rant, a la high school Rachel Berry, about how I should've found a way to calm you down, cause she has survived worse and a few broken ribs are not a big deal, and yadda yadda yadda." The blonde's lips twitched upwards slightly at the image. Sighing, she nodded again, before slumping back and resting her head against the wall.

Brittany and Santana sat down on either side of their best friend, the former linking arms and fingers with her, and the latter wrapping an arm around her shoulder. Quinn leaned her head onto the Latina's shoulder.

A half hour later, Puck rejoined them, sitting on the ground in front of Quinn and leaning against her legs. Running her hand through his short strip of hair, the photographer smiled as she watched the man pull Kurt into his lap.

Another hour passed in silence before a doctor stepped into the waiting room.

"Family for Rachel Berry?" She asked softly.

Quinn shot to her feet, nearly tripping over Puck and Kurt. "I'm her girlfriend." She said, crossing over to the doctor. Pointing back at the others, "these are our familial friends. How is she?"

The woman smiled slightly. "She's doing well." Audible sighs of relief flowed from the group. "There are three fractured ribs and several large bruises on her torso and jaw. Luckily, none of the ribs splintered, so we only had to set the bones back into place. She's sleeping off the anesthesia now, if you'd like to be there when she wakes up. That should be in about fifteen to twenty minutes." She eyed the group. "Unfortunately, I'm gonna have to ask that only three of you visit at a time until she's fully awake." Santana and Brittany stepped back, moving to cuddling together on a chair. "Alright, if you'll follow me." The doctor held the door open for Quinn, Puck and Kurt. Leading them to a closed door at the end of the hallway, she faced them. "I'll give you guys some privacy."

Quinn stretched out a hand. "Thank you, Dr…"

"Torres, Callie Torres." Dr. Torres supplied, shaking the blonde's hand. Offering another smile, she turned and walked away.

Facing the door, Quinn took a deep breath. Twisting the handle, she pushed into the room. The steady beeping of a heart monitor echoed in the, otherwise silent, room.

Taking a seat in the chair beside the sleeping brunette's bed, Quinn reached forward and grabbed her girlfriend's hand. Stirring slightly, Rachel tightened her grip. Slowly, dark brown eyes blinked open, slightly hazy from the drug induced sleep.

"Hey, baby. You gave me quite a scare there." Quinn brushed Rachel's bangs aside, running slender fingers through the silky, dark chocolate hair.

"M'sorry, Q." Rachel apologized, words slightly slurred from the anesthetic that had not completely worn off yet.

Puck snorted, stepping into the brunette's line of sight, along with Kurt. "What are you apologizing for, boss? It's that asshole who broke your ribs that should be doing that."

Rachel chuckled, but cut off sharply, wincing as her ribs protested the movement. Quinn ghosted a feather light touch along her girlfriend's side, a worried frown creasing her brow.

"I'm okay, love." Rachel said quietly, linking their fingers together and brushing her thumb over the pale knuckles. "I'll be on my feet, serving drinks, breaking up bar fights and running my club again in no time."

"Once the doctor says you can." Kurt stated, pointing a warning finger at his LBF.

Rachel rolled her eyes. "Yes, mother."

"Rae, you will listen to the doctor's orders, won't you?" Quinn asked, biting her lip lightly.

"Of course, baby."

"Whipped!" Puck coughed into his arm, earning himself an elbow in the side from his boyfriend.

Rachel shrugged, not looking away from her girlfriend. "I don't really see what's so wrong with that, when I have a girl who deserves the world." A blush spread across Quinn's cheeks, and she leaned forward, kissing the brunette deeply.

"Oh, she's good." Puck mumbled, gaining another jab to the ribs from Kurt.

"We're going to go and grab Santana and Brittany to come see you." The shorter man stated, grabbing his boyfriend's hand and dragging him out of the room.

Neither woman acknowledged the exit, still lost in their kiss. Finally pulling back when air became a necessity, Rachel tugged on her girlfriend's arm, sliding over slightly and gesturing to the open space on the bed. Lying down next to the other woman, Quinn wrapped an arm carefully around Rachel's shoulders, running the other up and down her arm. Sighing contently, Rachel snuggled into the blonde, head resting under her chin.
♠ ♠ ♠
Yeah, I brought some Grey's Anatomy to New York.